• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Finally got myself a rig. Need scope advice.

Halberdier

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2019
Texas
I got myself a modest rig. Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor. The only items I added so far are a Leupold 1-Piece Backcountry 20 MOA rail and a Bergara Omni muzzle brake.

I'd like to become skilled at 800+ yard target shooting in regular and low light conditions. I'm not planning to hunt with this round.

I'm trying to stay around $1,500. A solid lifetime warranty that includes the electronics is a must. I'm more interested in glass than features. A good value, like a 3k scope selling for 1.5k, is always a welcome option.

Thoughts?

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Update: Turned out that Doug has a Gen1 4.5-29x56 Cronus BTR that was returned NIB. I pulled the trigger on that Saturday. That works out especially well for me because I have a couple of Ares scopes with the same reticle and controls. Doug was friendly and helpful as always. And it's always nice to be able to support the site sponsors.

Thanks everyone for all the good suggestions and ideas.

Last edited:
Used Gen2 Razor would fit that bill if the weight is not an issue.For a little more you could get a new one.

delta stryker
or if you really want ffp
https://www.edgunwest.com/store/optics/item/delta-javelin/ newer model
or
https://www.edgunwest.com/store/optics/item/delta-stryker-4-5-30x56/ older ffp
i am actually shocked while many other places have raised there prices these seem to still be the same as they were almost a years ago . good luck wich ever brand or features you may be looking for .

Leupold 5-HD 3.6-18 ... an awesome scope for that caliber and distance. I have 3 of them. Mil/Vet/LE discount on Leupold puts that right where you need it for cost. Or buy one used.

Reactions: Evlshnngns
Leupold 5-HD 3.6-18 ... an awesome scope for that caliber and distance. I have 3 of them. Mil/Vet/LE discount on Leupold puts that right where you need it for cost. Or buy one used.
A good friend is making the same recommendation. The entire MK5 series in fact. I need to look into that.

delta stryker
or if you really want ffp
https://www.edgunwest.com/store/optics/item/delta-javelin/ newer model
or
https://www.edgunwest.com/store/optics/item/delta-stryker-4-5-30x56/ older ffp
i am actually shocked while many other places have raised there prices these seem to still be the same as they were almost a years ago . good luck wich ever brand or features you may be looking for .
Thanks. I know nothing about these. How's the glass compared to a good Leupold?

Used Gen2 Razor would fit that bill if the weight is not an issue.For a little more you could get a new one.
It's kind of the default choice around here. I mean that in a good way. But why are so many of them for sale? And what are those folks upgrading to? Maybe I should skip a step and go straight there.

Reactions: Moose
It's kind of the default choice around here. I mean that in a good way. But why are so many of them for sale? And what are those folks upgrading to? Maybe I should skip a step and go straight there.
I think theres a ton of them, and a pretty decent upgrade ladder starting with the razor.
I started with a razor 4.5-27, wanted more, then moved to a schmidt, then a nightforce, then a zco

I have another buddy who is getting his first razor this week after upgrading from a viper pst. Nice thing is, if you pick up a razor for $1600-$1700 on the hide (with EBR7C), you're pretty much guaranteed to get rid of it for the same price.

Just curious and hopefully not too much of a tangent... Why the concern for low light if you’re not planning to hunt with it?
Sooner or later, any skill or gear we acquire may need to go into practical use. I plan to practice in low light in case that happens.

I think theres a ton of them, and a pretty decent upgrade ladder starting with the razor.
I started with a razor 4.5-27, wanted more, then moved to a schmidt, then a nightforce, then a zco

I have another buddy who is getting his first razor this week after upgrading from a viper pst. Nice thing is, if you pick up a razor for $1600-$1700 on the hide (with EBR7C), you're pretty much guaranteed to get rid of it for the same price.
I may end up taking the safe path. I hope to find something I like so much that I won't have to look elsewhere.

Sooner or later, any skill or gear we acquire may need to go into practical use. I plan to practice in low light in case that happens.
Fair enough.

Get the Razor. You can get rid of it easily for no or little loss if you find it’s not what you want.

Reactions: Halberdier
Sportoptics.com has the burris xtr3 for around the $1500 price point. The scr2 reticle is sweet and they have Japanese glass aswell!

Reactions: Halberdier
$1500 will get you a used razor gen II in the PX. Just over 2k at around 2,200 to 2,500 will get you into the used Schmidt and Bender PMIIs as well as used NF ATACRs. Right at 2,000 should get you used AMGs but I haven't seen any recently.

Does anyone warranty electronics for life?

Vortex does. ;)

OP it all comes down to what you want to spend. $3000 is listed but really feel comfortable there? As mentioned you can get a Razor II for around $1700 new and $1500 used and have $1500 in your pocket for ammo. You won;t hit anything with a $3000 scope that you can't with a Razor II. For your range needs and level it will do you well. Even up past that it will do you well. The Razor II is the most used scope by PRS competitors because it works.

Update: Turned out that Doug has a Gen1 4.5-29x56 Cronus BTR that was returned NIB. I pulled the trigger on that today. That works out especially well for me because I have a couple of Ares scopes with the same reticle and controls. Doug was friendly and helpful as always. And it's always nice to be able to support the site sponsors.

Thanks everyone for all the good suggestions and ideas.

+1. But 30oz is on the heavy side if it’s not just a range toy

Gen 2 Razor. Great scope and not just for the money.

I"think" they are going up to a kahles or ZCO. I think those 2 would be considered "top of the line" around here.

I have 3 Razor Gen2’s. I sold a 4th a while back to start saving for a ZCO. Nightforce, TT’s, Kahles (my first choice as an upgrade until reading reviews) etc. Lots of good info on the Hide.