• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finally got to see a new Ruger American Gen 2, not impressed

KCode

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2019
Went to Ohio on business and I was blown away by how more gun oriented they are than South Carolina, but I digress.

Held a lot of rifles that flat out cannot be found where I live and the Ruger American Gen 2 was one of them!

Immediately the stock brought back memories of the Gen 1 stock, only with a textured paint to it. Still felt extremely cheap to me. I was very excited to feel the action as the old Gen 1 I had, had the terrible zipper sound and feel to it. The Gen 2 didn't have the zipper feel but it was far from smooth and in general wasn't much better than the Gen 1. (However with polishing and sanding I had my Gen 1 gliding smooth, why can't Ruger do this in production?) I got to compare the trigger to a CVA Cascade and Begara and the Ruger just felt like the old Gen 1...Not that good.

Overall it felt like a $350-400 rifle and I think at that price point it's a killer deal. But for $575 there are much better options out there for the same price or little more.

When you account for inflation, it is pretty much the same $450 rifle from 2015. They might have a junk stock, but they usually shoot damn good for the price. What options do you think compare at $575?

Last edited:
Reactions: Heretic
did the same thing on a recent trip and not a ruger fan by any means but the gen 2 action I checked out felt way better than the gen 1. monte carlo stocks suck functionally but they shoulder well, they will sell a pile of them.

Why didn't Ruger do (fill in the blank) at the factory?
Because then it wouldn't be a $575 rifle that shoots really good.
My pal has the ranch in 7.62x39 that shoots steel cased tulammo under 1". Feeds reliably, ejects reliably, bullets come out the end.