• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finally Have Funds For A 22LR Trainer

Dylan in AZ

Shooting Addict
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2010
Arizona
Okay well guys im at the point where i can make a purchase on a rifle! Im decided on a Savage MKII, please don't try to sway my decision as i have considered other options as well but ultimatly i like the Savage.

That being said, I've narrowed down my search to three different models

MKII - BVT
MKII - BRJ
MKII - TR

Im pretty sure that there is probably no difference in accuracy between the three. They all come with the nasty accu-trigger sadly. So it's really just a competition between the stocks and the barrels. All are within my budget. Help me decide on a rifle

Thanks,
Dylan

Re: Finally Have Funds For A 22LR Trainer

Not to side step your wants, but what exactly drove you to savage?

The accutrigger is the only real selling point to the savage rimfire line. If you hate that, then why piss your time away with savage?

The trigger isn't that big of a problem, but i like the savages because they just feel right for me. You know that feeling you get when you shoulder a rifle and work the action and it just feels "right"? That is what i experienced with the two i played with at the dealer. they are easy to come by and have a much better aftermarket support than the other 22lr's i was looking at. Plus i can actually get one without having to wait an unpredictable ammount of time for another rifle to become available. Plus my budget is a bit tight, and these kinda just perfectly fit the bill.

Can i ask you what you would suggest in replacement?

Theres plenty of trainers. CZ, Marlin, sako, ruger, etc

I'd go marlin, mainly because the savage and marlin actions are nearly identical size/feel wise, but it doesnt include a accutrigger.

Besides, if you are good at reworking triggers, you can make a marlin trigger sing. (mines breaking just under a pound)

If you get the savage, buy the cheapest of the three you are looking at and then put a rifle basix trigger in it. Makes a huge difference, and you can pick one up for around $80 shipped.
Or, pick up an FV and restock it with one of boyds blems for around $60 and put an RB trigger in it.
I have owned five of the mk2/93 savages and all have been great for me. And I am also planning to pick up an FV-SR after the shot show (they are supposed to come stock with the larger bolt knob and 1 piece rail after SHOT). I have not had any feeding or ftf problems with any of my rifles (guess I'm lucky?).
dont forget good glass!
good luck

Here's some swaying for you.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2260748#Post2260748

Keep in mind that with any firearm manufacturer you could get a gun that shoots like crap or be a tack driver,luck of the draw.But if you get a rifle that's reasonably well made to begin with your chances are much higher to get a good shooting gun.Besides that you'll have a good foundation for a custom build and won't have to resell later.The actions on CZ's are pretty good.Later on in life when you get the money you can add a good barrel,stock,etc and have something to be proud of.

If you can find and old Savage/Anschutz 141 you'll have a true gem.They are one of the little known sleepers of the rimfire world.It's a relabeled Anschutz 64 action from the late 60's early 70's.

If the Savage is the trainer, whats the big boy (center fire)rifle you are training for? Like .22-40x/308-700, 10/22-AR15

if you are set on the savage i'd have to go with the TR for a few reasons.

1. has the tacticool stock on it, which give the feel and demension of the tactical /target type stocks on mid to higher end centerfires.

2. has the oversized bolt knob like many of the mid to higher end tactical /target type centerfires do - plus it's actually a funtional option.

3. overall has a better "tacticool look"

4. you can find them for sale with the moa base already on them.

my next choice would be the BRJ, as that spiral barrel and stock have a certain "Fu Fu-ness" about it and is pretty attractive.

If you have a Dick's Sporting Goods near you check there for the Savage. I was at one in S.C. this weekend and they had one that had the tacticool tan stock & other accessories.I think it was in the range of $450. They had another Savage that had an OD green stock that wasn't the tacticool one but it did have the fluted barrel. It was in the $250 range. Both had scopes but the scopes left alot to be desired.

Thanks Top Predator, That is exactly what im looking for in this thread, much appreciated.

To those who suggested other rifles:
I would like to have a nice heavy barreled CZ and replace the factory stock with something more efficient. But, i cannot seem to find anyone who stocks them anymore and i'd prefer to not buy used rifles if i can avoid them.
I took a quick look at the Marlins' and i don't see any with a target barrel on it w/o irons. And i don't want to rebarrel
I cannot afford a Sako but this would be my #1 choice if i had a couple hundered more dollars.
I would ultimatly spring for an Anschutz but again, i don't have the funds for that.
And we allready have a Ruger 10/22 in the safe so i want to add another brand to the collection
smile.gif
Really for no other reasons

The rifle i'll be using this to train for is... Well... In all honesty it's an M40A3/5 or an M24SWS depending on if i do my part in whichever rout i take in the military.

My hunting rifle is the only other gun i'll probably be shooting. It's a Weatherby Vanguard (Howa 1500 essentially) sporter chambered in 300WSM. I plan on upgrading the factory stock(bedded), optics, base/rings, and have the barrel cut back two-three inches threaded for a muzzle break and target crowned. Maybe even a target barrel
wink.gif
But thats all way in the future.

I forgot to mention to you guys that im going to try teaching myself how to shoot lefty for both pistol and rifle so i guess the gun has to be ambidextrious. That rules out the top two models... So the TR is the last option left. Guess i just answered my own question...

Unlessss..... I can make the righty stocks ambidextrious. Would that just mean grinding the raised comb down to match the left sides contour? Basically making it a straight comb? If so then we're back to square 1
laugh.gif

Hmm, and the plot thickens...

Thanks for that link ggmanning! I have something to think about now!

I found a tan tacticool MK II TR here in MO for $325 with some sort of scope on it, haven't looked at it up close yet, but will be my first trainer type. Everyone seems to suggest switching out triggers right away to the Rifle Basix trigger, what is the big improvement on the AccuTrigger?

Hmmmm, my TR A-trigger is under a pound and half. Polish it, adjust it, be happy. Another A-trigger (.308) is scary 6 oz. What kind of an improvement do you need??? A factory CZ trigger is no match to the Accutriggers on Savages. And yes, you've guessed it, I am a Savage guy.

Wife just got me a CZ 452 from Budsgunshop. Good outfit to deal with. Got a CZ 452 American 16". Quick and easy suppressor host.

-David
Edgewood, NM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmmm, my TR A-trigger is under a pound and half. Polish it, adjust it, be happy. Another A-trigger (.308) is scary 6 oz. What kind of an improvement do you need??? A factory CZ trigger is no match to the Accutriggers on Savages. And yes, you've guessed it, I am a Savage guy.</div></div>

If its just some simple work i can do here at home with minimal tooling or machining im all for it. I love DIY projects so if it is easily done then im 100% fine with the savage trigger. The few i have had chances to use were strange because they were heavy and had alot of creep. But if this is easily fixed then thats nothing to consider anymore.

Now i read somewhere that the factory CZ triggers are terrible (this was 1 person's review just to be clear) and being more expensive than the savege i can't afford a trigger upgrade. It has to be 100% right out of the box or it just wont work. As it is im going to have trouble making the CZ work. It just BARELY fits into my budget.

Considering Bud's ships for free, even if they wont match the price then its still cheaper there... But if they will match the price (oh i can feel an e-mail writing itself allready!) then it's going to be INCREDIBLY hard to turn down that price.

Since the general opinion is positive for CZ's models, what i want is some UNBIASED opinions on Savages. Maybe direct comparisons from people who owned both rifles AT THE SAME TIME and could actually compare the two side by side. That is what im looking for as of now.

Thanks for all the help thus far guys/gals! Its much appreciated so keep it coming!

Thanks,
Dylan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since the general opinion is positive for CZ's models, what i want is some UNBIASED opinions on Savages. Maybe direct comparisons from people who owned both rifles AT THE SAME TIME and could actually compare the two side by side. That is what im looking for as of now.</div></div>The only way to know absolutely for sure which gun is right for you is to have owned both and keep the one that is. However, I know exactly how you feel, wanting to make the right choice especially when funds are tight. All I can advise is searching and reading until your fingers and eyes can take no more. Then, when you think you've made your decision, hold them both and if possible shoot them.

I'm not sure what the shooting community is like around Mesa, but up here it's kinda slim pickin's on choices. Maybe you'll get lucky and somebody will have what you'd like to try. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmmm, my TR A-trigger is under a pound and half. Polish it, adjust it, be happy. Another A-trigger (.308) is scary 6 oz. What kind of an improvement do you need??? A factory CZ trigger is no match to the Accutriggers on Savages. And yes, you've guessed it, I am a Savage guy.</div></div>

If its just some simple work i can do here at home with minimal tooling or machining im all for it. I love DIY projects so if it is easily done then im 100% fine with the savage trigger. The few i have had chances to use were strange because they were heavy and had alot of creep. But if this is easily fixed then thats nothing to consider anymore.
l

Now i read somewhere that the factory CZ triggers are terrible (this was 1 person's review just to be clear) and being more expensive than the savege i can't afford a trigger upgrade. It has to be 100% right out of the box or it just wont work. As it is im going to have trouble making the CZ work. It just BARELY fits into my budget.

Considering Bud's ships for free, even if they wont match the price then its still cheaper there... But if they will match the price (oh i can feel an e-mail writing itself allready!) then it's going to be INCREDIBLY hard to turn down that price.

Since the general opinion is positive for CZ's models, what i want is some UNBIASED opinions on Savages. Maybe direct comparisons from people who owned both rifles AT THE SAME TIME and could actually compare the two side by side. That is what im looking for as of now.

Thanks for all the help thus far guys/gals! Its much appreciated so keep it coming!

Thanks,
Dylan </div></div>

This is the CZ trigger kit....$15 and it makes the factory trigger very nice.
http://www.yodaveproducts.com/index.htm

Arizona as a state is very tollerant and we have very loose gun laws and regulations. I love it out here for those reasons, i just have to come across the CZ before i can be sold on it.

Link didn't work BTW

Dylan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Link didn't work BTW</div></div>
Even the weakest of Google-Fu's should yield you some good results
grin.gif

Nah, i get the jist of what it is. Just a wee bit too lazy to search
laugh.gif
It's been a very long day... Maybe tomorrow
wink.gif

Sweet! Thank you!

Im still leaning more towards the Savage though, i could be up and running at 100% in 2 weeks, probably less. However if i go with the CZ i won't have it running until May and even then i'll have some things to do to it still...

I think im going to buy the Savage for now and just get out and shoot. Then in the near future i'll pick up a 452 and directly compare the two and keep whichever i like more.

Thanks guys,
Dylan

They are both capable and good shooting guns. You'll enjoy either.

Absolutely. Both are excellent sticks. I guess your personal preference will decide. I had two CZs before and my main gripe was their triggers. One of the CZs was ridiculously picky with ammo. I am thinking about picking up a CZ Scout single shot for my daughter but I myself will remain a Savage freak...

Yes im set on the Savage, thank you all for helping me make my decision.

When i recieve the gun i'll hopefully be able to post up some pics and show what the groups look like.

Now the only thing to do is buy the gun, order the rings and scope base, pick up several boxes of different ammo, assemble it all, and go shooting!

Im certainly excited
laugh.gif

Okay im going to order it today and pick it up midway through the week if all goes as expected!

I drove out to Cabela's today to see if they had any (and because im at home there lol) on hand so i could see how the stock feels and on one of their racks they had a bunch of MKII-TR type models but they differed in that they had muzzle breaks, bases allready mounted, and instead of the stocks being black they were OD green. Everything else was the same. They were priced at 500 each and there was around 6-8 of them varying in caliber from 22lr, 17hmr, and 22wmr.

Im not sure if they were preowned or not but they did have some scratches on the bolts (you all know what happens to rifles when the public is allowed to touch them unsupervised though) but none of them were deep and i'd assume they weren't pre owned but im not sure at all. I guess this is just a heads up to anyone who may be interested in them who lives in AZ as i do not know if other states will have them as well.

I just bought the TR and added the DIP (Diversified Innovative Products 25 MOA rail to it. I like that it looks and feels a lot like my GAP tactical and didn't set me back a huge sum of money. So now I have a great little trainer that let's me get lots of trigger time...P.S. I shoot my right-handed rifles left-handed and like that I can cycle the bolt and load with my right hand and keep my trigger finger in near proximity to the trigger.