• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finally!! I was able to build a damn rifle!

windage_elevation

Private
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2006
Lafayette, La
I've been slobbering over nice pieces on this forum for over a year now, and I finally built one for myself.

Model 70 Winchester,.30-06, Shillen barrel, 1-11 twist, H&S Precision stock, Leupold VX-1 w/tactical turrents, Jewel trigger, long, heavy, beautiful. Finally stopped chasin' women and built a rifle. The rifle don't cheat, don't give you no lip and lets you, "git sum", whenever you want. I just hope this picture thing works.

Canada015.jpg

Canada006.jpg

Canada010.jpg

Canada013.jpg

Canada016.jpg

Re: Finally!! I was able to build a damn rifle!

Looks like a beauty! What is the barrel length on that piece??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Happy Trigger Finger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a beauty! What is the barrel length on that piece?? </div></div>
+1 Hows it shoot?

Nice looking rifle you might want to see if you can swap those rings out for a lower set.

Harry Potter called, he wants his broom stick back.

Barrel length is 26". She shoots good. A good shooter could flick the flies off of shit at 500 yards with her. Me, I'll just obliterate the whole pile of shit.

Why lower rings?

Get the line of sight and the actual line of bore closer. Did you build this one, or have a Smith build it. It looks pretty good!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you build this one, or have a Smith build it. </div></div>

I had a gunsmith build it. Bayou Teche Guns in Arnualdville, La.

It was originally built for a mule deer hunt in Canada, so to save time, I passed on a few things that I really wanted to do. If I would have know it wasn't going to be finished in time for the hunt, I would have done things a little differently.

I have another Model 70 action and a Remington 700 action in the closet. I'm going to get creative with those two.

Is that Duracoat, Cerakote, or something else on there? Looks good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is that Duracoat, Cerakote, or something else on there? Looks good.</div></div>

I think it's Duracoat. The conversation went something like this:

Him: "Whatcha think about a %$#*& in green?"

Me: "Sounds great"

I was so excited to be building a custom rifle, most of the conversations we had sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher...LOL!!

Nice stick! Will that long barrel be an issue when you take it hunting? My 30-06 has a 22", and it's just short enough not to get snagged in the brush.

Looks realy good from where I sit....can't wait to finish my Remy 243 ,stocks on its way soon I hope, sell my Browning Citori and get a Nightforce,burn out the barrel and then it becomes a 6.5x47 lapua..
Love my Sako 3006 and burger bullets.....
Regards
Bucky