• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finally Joined the RRS club!

Mike402

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2014
Palm Springs, ca
After salivating at some of the RRS threads, I took the plunge and ended up getting the TVC-33. TA-3-LC Leveling Base, an MLOK plate for my RPR w/ MI handguard, and a Picatinny plate for the rest of my rifles. Took it all out for the first time today to experiment.

First off, very impressed by the quality of everything. Solidly built, everything locks solidly into place like it should. Expensive kit, but you get what you pay for. I've got a Manfrotto for my photo gear, and this blows it away in every way.

Here are some pics from today: [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/7jgjEM3.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/j2J4sab.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/4HXVH7D.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I spent the day switching back and forth from bipod/bag to tripod. I didn't find it as steady as the bipod/bag. I noticed the rifle kicked up much more from recoil, and groups weren't as small with the tripod. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but not in the same league. Maybe my technique may improve after more use/practice.

I wanted to quantify the difference with the tripod, so I shot 1 5 shot group from 300 yards off of bipod/bag. Results below, came in at 1.125" (.375 moa) That is slightly better than my overall average of .4-.5 from my custom FN. No cherry picking, only shot a total of 2 different groups [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/6LuzJ9J.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Next up was from standing position off of tripod. Results below. This came in at 4.75" (1.5 moa) As I mentioned, did not feel as steady & rifle kicked up from recoil much more than on your belly loading the bipod. I have nothing to compare this to, so I don't know if this is typical performance from this setup. I was holding onto leveling base when firing and had the handle locked down fairly tight . If anyone has any advice to improve performance, I'm all ears. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/wsfwfcQ.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase. If I had one request from RRS it would be for an XLR adapter plate. It is much slicker to attach directly to rifle than to install an extra rail, and then attach to that with the picatinny adapter.

Last edited:
With practice you will be able to shrink your group size from the rrs but let's be realistic in our expectations. This is a tripod putting everything 5ft above the ground. You cannot possibly expect prone/bag/bipod results. That's unrealistic. I can shoot pretty consistent 3/4-1moa from my RRS standing and that's pretty damn good I feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With practice you will be able to shrink your group size from the rrs but let's be realistic in our expectations. This is a tripod putting everything 5ft above the ground. You cannot possibly expect prone/bag/bipod results. That's unrealistic. I can shoot pretty consistent 3/4-1moa from my RRS standing and that's pretty damn good I feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback. Based on my experience today, .75 - 1 moa is damn good. Curious if you could describe your technique.

Do you lock down the handle tight, and then just readjust after every shot? Or do you keep the handle semi tight and try to establish a natural point of aim? Also how much pressure do you apply with your body? Tight hold? Finally, what do you hold on to with your non-firing hand - rifle, leveling base, or bottom handle?

This was my first time shooting off of a tripod, so trying to get it all to come together. For the record, I wasn't expecting to be able to match prone results. Just wanted to know what I'm capable of so I can determine my max effective range.

Last edited:
square yourself up to the tripod. shoulders slightly forward of your hips. you have everything 5ft high in the air so mitigating recoil for follow through is much more important than prone. I have seen varying tripod techniques over the years and they all can be effective but...with your shown setups I tend to get indexed on the target very close to the npa and lock the head about 80-90% tight. I use a bit of a C clamp grip on the fore-end of the rifle and it mitigates recoil well enough to continue to spot my own shots. if you're on a more soft media such as loose dirt or such you can usually get away with a support hand hold on the opposing tripod leg or the head/plate and have good results.

Think of it as elevated prone. Make sure one leg is aimed squarely at the target, that way you can check NPA by just bumping forward on it a bit. You have a single point of contact rather than 3 you have with bipod and rear bag. ... so the rifle is going to want to move differently. With practice you'll get the groups down. I've been able to put down 1/2moa groups up close and at distance off the RRS kit. Though I did not have much success doing so with the leveling base. I believe the ball heads provide some much needed forgiveness during recoil... though they require a bit more experienced technique to steady for the shot. Get yourself a BH-40 and give it a try.

Killed well off my RRS yesterday. Perfect hits at 380yds, 320yds, and 280yds.

3qHgMCNh.jpg

Think of it as elevated prone. Make sure one leg is aimed squarely at the target, that way you can check NPA by just bumping forward on it a bit. You have a single point of contact rather than 3 you have with bipod and rear bag. ... so the rifle is going to want to move differently. With practice you'll get the groups down. I've been able to put down 1/2moa groups up close and at distance off the RRS kit. Though I did not have much success doing so with the leveling base. I believe the ball heads provide some much needed forgiveness during recoil... though they require a bit more experienced technique to steady for the shot. Get yourself a BH-40 and give it a try.

Killed well off my RRS yesterday. Perfect hits at 380yds, 320yds, and 280yds.

Impressive! Uggghh not what I wanted to hear about the leveling base. In the research I did, seemed like that was the way to go - more secure but you give up some angle adjustment. Either way, 1/2 moa off of tripod is something to be proud of. I'm gonna work on it!

When shooting standing, I hang onto the bottom stem of the TA-3 leveling base so that my support hand is where I need it if I need to reduce the friction to pan, move to another target, etc.

The RRS tripod is THE best tool to have available for your unpredictable shooting positions.

Good news: Mile High Shooting now carries RRS!

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/photos.imageevent.com\/mstn\/santanpillarreceiversetbuilds\/huge\/IMG_3721.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/photos.imageevent.com\/mstn\/ax338\/huge\/IMG_6350.jpg"}[/IMG2]

ta-3 leveling base is where its at for me on group performance from my RRS especially standing which i do most of my hunting from. lower profile, closer to the apex and more rigid for me.it is splitting hairs as diver said tho.