• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finally made it to an outdoor range today

CybrSlydr

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2021
Casper, WY
Made it out to the Laramie Rifle Range today - first time I've taken my rifle out to an outdoor range. Biggest bummer is how far - 2.5hr one way. Good news is that it's a pretty good looking drive.

52758320579_16bbfe295d_h.jpg
Reminder of the rifle I have.

53033156923_91f1ae909e_b.jpg

Road to infinity!

Had to be there at 10am for orientation so I could become a member. Very nice facilities!

Brought 60 rounds with me and started off at the 600yrd deck.

53032674851_f24bd40e14_b.jpg

53032674796_f61c24bcea_h.jpg

Got on-target at 600yds within 6 shots. After that, I was about 80% on-target at the human silhouette with misses due to wind. I was honestly surprised how easy 600yds was with this rifle.

I then backed it out to 1000yds and shot at the same silhouette. I was about 60% on-target as well, only took 3 shots to get on target (I doubled my elevation on the optic and it was darn near on, hence the three shots to get on). The Vortex Gen3 6-36 is more than enough optic for that distance. I actually backed it out a little so it was easier to see misses.

52757531827_8410afddaa_b.jpg

The brake also made a HUGE difference, like, more than I even thought possible. It's just a simple Thunder Beast brake/adapter for their suppressors (I haven't bought the suppressor yet) but the difference in recoil was substantial. The first time I shot this rifle, I put 60rds through it at an indoor 100yd range and my shoulder was SORE. This time, not a single pain.

I wish ammo wasn't so expensive - I had 20rds of Hornady 140gr Match ammo and bought 40 rds of the 143gr ELD-X hunting ammo. Both seem to shoot quite well with this rifle. Those two boxes of ELD-X were $103. Woof. Not to mention gas for a 5hr round trip! I think this might be a once-a-month kind of visit. lol

53032093562_f9b5313e18_h.jpg
Still some snow on the mountains down by Laramie. Those buildings in the foreground are the rest of the range where they have their pistol, 100 & 200yd rifle ranges, rimfire range, bays for 3-gun practice, and... something else. The slanted roof is the clubhouse.

Thank you for the pics and summary! What's the max distance at Laramie? Is there no state or federal land near Casper where you could go out to 1,000 yds or even more?

Reactions: CybrSlydr
You will love the Thunder Beast suppressor. I don’t shoot without it and they have always performed great

Thank you for the pics and summary! What's the max distance at Laramie? Is there no state or federal land near Casper where you could go out to 1,000 yds or even more?
Their website says this:

"We currently can shoot rifle at steel gongs at a wide variety of distances from 65 to 1200 yards. We have 15 T-frames holding 58 metal gongs ranging from 6-16” round gongs and square/rectangular gongs from 11x12” up to 20x30”. We can shoot paper targets using either our standard frames or target pits at 100, 200, 300, 400, 600, 800, 900 and 1000 yards."

I was shooting at a silhouette that was behind the farthest distant set of gongs.

I'm sure there are some Fed/State lands near Casper I could do this, but I don't have a target or rangefinder (or Kestrel - yet), plus I like the idea of shooting at a facility where shooting is supposed to take place rather than have someone wander between me and my target not knowing I'm shooting. With as expensive as ammo is, the drive isn't even that bad. I'm probably only going to be able to go once a month anyway, so making a trek down to Laramie once a month isn't such a terrible thing.

A former co-worker of mine who has shot there before told me I need to go so I can make friends with fellow shooters and hopefully find one with a single sister. LOL

EDIT: I circled the gongs in this picture. The yellow are the farthest ones and the blaze orange circle is the approximate location of the silhouette at which I was shooting.

Attachments

• 53032674796_ed5c5e0e68_o edit.jpg
    53032674796_ed5c5e0e68_o edit.jpg
    696.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Get yourself a ballistic app or kestrel so you dont have to guess elevation. Drop should be a given. It will make long range on small targets much easier. Nice pics. Sure looks like beautiful country.

Reactions: Ichi and CybrSlydr
Get yourself a ballistic app or kestrel so you dont have to guess elevation. Drop should be a given. It will make long range on small targets much easier. Nice pics. Sure looks like beautiful country.
Honestly, there's nowhere in Wyoming that I've been that isn't beautiful. The grassland, Laramie peak, Casper mountain, Outlaw Cave, etc. If you like the outdoors and nature, Wyoming is 1000000% the place to go.

Honestly, there's nowhere in Wyoming that I've been that isn't beautiful. The grassland, Laramie peak, Casper mountain, Outlaw Cave, etc. If you like the outdoors and nature, Wyoming is 1000000% the place to go.

Hopefully one day ill make it out that way on a hunt. Fortunately outside of the cities we're blessed with a beautiful country