• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finally! New MA-TEN .308

Cheech

spiritus
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2009
TENUS
www.larosadesign.net
After a long wait on parts and stressful disappointing barrel ordeal I finally got this thing put together yesterday. I was almost disappointed that it only took a little over two hours to assemble.

IMG_20120701_111109.jpg

Parts laid out.

IMG_20120701_111220.jpg

IMG_20120701_111240.jpg

IMG_20120701_142751.jpg

All assembled ready for the range.

IMG_20120701_142834.jpg

IMG_20120701_142913.jpg

IMG_20120701_143209.jpg

Joining the family.

Parts List:

JP Rifle Spring kit JPS3.5.

RRA NM Two Stage Trigger.

LPK-LTG JP Rifle.

JP Rifle Low Profile Adj Gas Block 0.936 JPGS-8.

JP Rifle Length Gas tube installed into above Gas Block GTI-Rifle.

Young Mfg 308 BCG YM-054-308.

JP Rifle JPBC-EB308 Enhanced Bolt kit complete.

JPS-OSR 308 Buffer Spring.

DPMS Receiver Extension# BS09.

AR 10 Buffer Slash Heavy Buffer with Carbine Space block.

MagPul PRS Stock FDE RSR.

MagPul 20 rd 308 Magazines Black RSR- (only come in Black) I painted FDE.

Customized(LOL!) Rock Creek 5R, 24" heavy SS barrel matched to Bolt 1:11.25 twist.

<span style="font-style: italic">Wanted 1’ diameter custom profile and 3/4-24 muzzle threads,(already had the breaks made), with a natural SS finish. Ended up being standard profile under .936” and 5/8-24, not what I wanted. It was also bead blasted because the smith was going to coat it. Even blasted the muzzel, WTF??? I had to polish all the bead blasting off, what a pain in the ass. The machine work was shit with tooling marks that even showed thru the blasting and burrs on most edges. Feed ramps rough as a cobb not polished. Grease and grimmy hand prints all over them. It took eight months, after being paid for in full, to get the wrong custom barrels,(he did a .243 as well), that are actually standard at a custom price…what a crock of shit...
.....Smith’s response when questioned about ignoring my written spec's:</span> <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">“oh well! they didn't seem right to me....I cut them to standard AR spec's”.</span></span>
Never again!! It better shoot or somebody's getting a double Stainless Steel power enima.

Trigger Pins DPMS LR-28.

MagPul MIAD Grip FDE R#MPIMAG415FDE.

DPMS 4 rail Handguard 308 Standard Length Low 4 Rail Free Float Tube DPMS Part # 308-FF-4SL.

MAGPUL (AFG1) ANGLED FOREGRIP FDE.RSR Item #: MPIMAG414FDE.

Re: Finally! New MA-TEN .308

Nice looking rig...

let us know how it shoots.

Btw, how much was that rock creek barrel?

For the .308 blank and to have it turned was $585.00. I supplied the .243 blank and paid $300.00 to have it turned.

looks good man. I just got a maten mono upper and lower today. Won it at the hide cup. Now i need to figure out what to build on it. Love the look of the mega though.

I like seeing when a guy has more wrapped up in high quality firearms than they do in granite countertops.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stinkyDrunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like seeing when a guy has more wrapped up in high quality firearms than they do in granite countertops. </div></div>

Along this line of thinking...

It is comical/sad sometimes when I head to the range as I have more money in firearms in my truck then the ol girl is worth.

POF 14.5" .308 with Elcan 7.62 1.5-6x, DBAL I2 and Surefire run 3x the cost of my 1979 F250 4X4.

Priorities man, priorities.

Dang I was hoping when you got to he part about the barrel I was going to read JP Supermatch Cryogenic Stainless .308/7.62 NATO, oh well.

Fucking ass hat smith!!!!!

She looks good, bro!!

holy crap! i like the rifle family! very nice job and nice looking rifles. this is something i'll have to look into. nice write up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cheech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After a long wait on parts and stressful disappointing barrel ordeal I finally got this thing put together yesterday. I was almost disappointed that it only took a little over two hours to assemble.

IMG_20120701_111109.jpg

Parts laid out.

IMG_20120701_111220.jpg

IMG_20120701_111240.jpg

IMG_20120701_142751.jpg

All assembled ready for the range.

IMG_20120701_142834.jpg

IMG_20120701_142913.jpg

IMG_20120701_143209.jpg

Joining the family.

Parts List:

JP Rifle Spring kit JPS3.5.

RRA NM Two Stage Trigger.

LPK-LTG JP Rifle.

JP Rifle Low Profile Adj Gas Block 0.936 JPGS-8.

JP Rifle Length Gas tube installed into above Gas Block GTI-Rifle.

Young Mfg 308 BCG YM-054-308.

JP Rifle JPBC-EB308 Enhanced Bolt kit complete.

JPS-OSR 308 Buffer Spring.

DPMS Receiver Extension# BS09.

AR 10 Buffer Slash Heavy Buffer with Carbine Space block.

MagPul PRS Stock FDE RSR.

MagPul 20 rd 308 Magazines Black RSR- (only come in Black) I painted FDE.

Customized(LOL!) Rock Creek 5R, 24" heavy SS barrel matched to Bolt 1:11.25 twist.

<span style="font-style: italic">Wanted 1’ diameter custom profile and 3/4-24 muzzle threads,(already had the breaks made), with a natural SS finish. Ended up being standard profile under .936” and 5/8-24, not what I wanted. It was also bead blasted because the smith was going to coat it. Even blasted the muzzel, WTF??? I had to polish all the bead blasting off, what a pain in the ass. The machine work was shit with tooling marks that even showed thru the blasting and burrs on most edges. Feed ramps rough as a cobb not polished. Grease and grimmy hand prints all over them. It took eight months, after being paid for in full, to get the wrong custom barrels,(he did a .243 as well), that are actually standard at a custom price…what a crock of shit...
.....Smith’s response when questioned about ignoring my written spec's:</span> <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">“oh well! they didn't seem right to me....I cut them to standard AR spec's”.</span></span>
Never again!! It better shoot or somebody's getting a double Stainless Steel power enima.

Trigger Pins DPMS LR-28.

MagPul MIAD Grip FDE R#MPIMAG415FDE.

DPMS 4 rail Handguard 308 Standard Length Low 4 Rail Free Float Tube DPMS Part # 308-FF-4SL.

MAGPUL (AFG1) ANGLED FOREGRIP FDE.RSR Item #: MPIMAG414FDE.
</div></div>

Nice man. I don't at all regret my MA-Ten build. Its my favorite rifle actually (until I get a nice custom bolt action, that is!) Enjoy

Thanks guys, for all the comments. I was hoping to shoot it this morning at a friends house but will have to wait and go to the local range this week end. I'll post the results for those interested. Thanks again, Cheers.

Nice. I'm hoping to do a MA-TEN soon.

Forgive me if this is a FAQ or stupid question. I have built a half-dozen AR-15s and have books and plenty of great website links to specs. I've not found a good reference for assembling a .308 AR platform - barrel nut torque, etc.

Anyone have a good recommendation?

Thanks!

Well, finally had the chance to shoot it. Set up a series of targets at 100yds and sighted it in. Amazingly the first shot was actually on the paper. It took two to get the gasblock adjusted and three more to get to the bull. I then moved to another target and shot five more over @20 sec's.time. Smoked a ciggarette while my shooting partner/host took a few shot with his rifle. I then moved to the next target and shoot five more over @ 20 sec's. time. I havent measurd these yet but looks pretty good to me for straight "out of the box" using Freedom Munition's remanufactured bulk ammo.(which is very consistant). First time for me using a buttstock mono pod(that I made, by the way...),.....What a difference! It's almost cheating,lol!

MA-TEN1st5shot.jpg

The flayer in this second group was me. Should have waited and wiped the sweat out of my left eye. Stupid me, got in a rush and messed up a good group.
MA-TEN2nd5shots.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kodiak61</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stinkyDrunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like seeing when a guy has more wrapped up in high quality firearms than they do in granite countertops. </div></div>

Along this line of thinking...

It is comical/sad sometimes when I head to the range as I have more money in firearms in my truck then the ol girl is worth.

POF 14.5" .308 with Elcan 7.62 1.5-6x, DBAL I2 and Surefire run 3x the cost of my 1979 F250 4X4.

Priorities man, priorities.

</div></div>

That's right....like the song says...."Happiness is a warm gun". lol!

Priorities, Man priorities.

Nice rig and fine shooting! Sick brake, looks kinda like a POF. Your first string reminded of something out of a kids magic show: "Watch the pile of parts, watch it . . . presto! Here's your MA-TEN kid."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stinkyDrunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like seeing when a guy has more wrapped up in high quality firearms than they do in granite countertops.</div></div>

From your mouth to God's ears to the wife's brain.

What did you use to paint the PMAGs? Is it a very tight fit in the mag well after painting?

nice stick.. have you considered going with the mega monolithic upper? theres still a few out there floating around. ill be building mine this week

I considered the MONO and the Armalite gunsmith kit as well when I first started. I decided on the standard MA-TEN set because I could switch the rail with others later if I wanted as new product is constantly hitting the market. I think of it like the stock and grip, et....Why lock myself into one thing.