• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finally ordering a GAP

Zion4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2011
New York
So after much research and whatnot, I am finally getting around to ordering an M40A5 from GAP (so excited!). I've hunted before but have always bought guns straight from Cabelas or other stores so this will be the first custom gun I've even gotten. Whenever I get into to something new (reloading, etc.) I always feel like there's something I forget to get or don't think something is necessary and end up regretting it or having to buy something else extra. So, for the people who have done business with GAP or have ordered custom rifles in the past, is there anything I should know, ask for, etc.?

Re: Finally ordering a GAP

I did not order a GAP (which I am looking at adding to my stable) but did you get the barrel threaded? What action did you get?

so I would include a laundry list of the things that you did order so we can tell you anything that we would have ordered or something that you may consider.

-K

I have yet to order the rifle (hopefully will get around to it tomorrow), but here are the full specs.

http://www.gaprecision.net/mil-spec-rifles/m40a5.html

It looks like a complete rifle (except for the scope and bipod), but I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't forgetting something else. Ie asking GAP to do something in a special way, etc.

Pour over the GAP website - if there is ANyTHING you think you might want - or if there is anything that you say to yourself, "I'm not sure what that is..." - look it up and find out what it is. Then, you order your rifle in the EXACT configuration with the EXACT length barrel, chamber, stock, etc.

Don't go along with the build if you're not 100% happy.

But, no matter what configuration, chances are you will be 100% happy.

1. Call GAP
2. Press option 4 for Ken
3. Discuss specs and place order
4. Be patient and wait for rifle to be completed
5. Get ready to become a life long GAP customer

smile.gif

You should know the following:

You bank account will take a steady decline and will never recover, once you get your first one you will quickly become a Gapaholic and you will never recover either.

Enjoy
Just saying

Don't worry too much about it. Ken will walk you through the order and get each piece of info necessary for your build. As mentioned, if you want anything"custom" that deviates from GAP's standard M40A5, you'll want to have that info in front of you when you make the call.

BTW: you might as well start preparing yourself now for some really sickening accuracy/precision. After this, nothing else will do!

BTW: you might as well start preparing yourself now for some really sickening accuracy/precision. After this, nothing else will do! [/quote]

+1 for this, it will happen.

-Matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Derrick300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should know the following:

You bank account will take a steady decline and will never recover, once you get your first one you will quickly become a Gapaholic and you will never recover either.

Enjoy
Just saying</div></div>

I'll bet. I guess its time to look for second, third, and fourth jobs.

Think about what you will need, want, and can afford. GA Precision are quality rifles. Do you need the nightvision rail? Threaded vs affixed muzzle device. Bipod rail for atlas?

GAP rifles and other custom boomdingers are like donuts... if you are going to have one, you might as well have another.

I don't know anyone who owns one GAP.

Honestly, plan on two. My prediction is #2 will be in your safe in less than a year.

I've managed to resist #3.

I hear good things about this George fella at GAP and his rifles, is he new
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hear good things about this George fella at GAP and his rifles, is he new
whistle.gif
</div></div>

Not sure if that was sarcasm or not, but I thought George runs the place? Correct me if I'm wrong though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spaceman_Spiff</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hear good things about this George fella at GAP and his rifles, is he new
whistle.gif
</div></div>
Not sure if that was sarcasm or not, but I thought George runs the place? Correct me if I'm wrong though. </div></div>

After a few months of reading you will see the humor in this situation, not busting your balls. You will see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spaceman_Spiff</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hear good things about this George fella at GAP and his rifles, is he new
whistle.gif
</div></div>

Not sure if that was sarcasm or not, but I thought George runs the place? Correct me if I'm wrong though. </div></div> yes, he is joking...if you look at his tag line, LA Precision Rifles, LLC, he is one of the great builder's that lurk on this site. You might want to check out his builds too.
LA Precision

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spaceman_Spiff</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hear good things about this George fella at GAP and his rifles, is he new
whistle.gif
</div></div>

Not sure if that was sarcasm or not, but I thought George runs the place? Correct me if I'm wrong though. </div></div> yes, he is joking...if you look at his tag line, LA Precision Rifles, LLC, he is one of the great builder's that lurk on this site. You might want to check out his builds too.
LA Precision </div></div>

Haha, yeah it did catch me off guard especially considering he had 5000+ posts but I figured better be safe than sorry and clear up any possible confusion.

With all this GAP 10 chatter I have been hearing lately how could you not want a GAP. Bolt or gas it seems these guys are know what the hell is going on. Not just the quality of guns but it seems their service level is beyond excellent and to me that goes a LONG ways in deciding who to purchase from.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IowaNoMoreSocal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With all this GAP 10 chatter I have been hearing lately how could you not want a GAP. Bolt or gas it seems these guys are know what the hell is going on. Not just the quality of guns but it seems their service level is beyond excellent and to me that goes a LONG ways in deciding who to purchase from. </div></div>

I agree with what you said; however, the major problem I have with the GAP 10, or any other precision gas gun. I just hate chasing brass.

You can't go wrong with a GAP.

whistle.gif
</div></div>

Not sure if that was sarcasm or not, but I thought George runs the place? Correct me if I'm wrong though. </div></div>

Yes, sarcasm at the highest level but all in fun. I speak to George and text him from time to time. He's a good guy and a great builder. I've gotten to know George on a level behind the scenes and can tell you this, he really cares about what leaves his shop and the quality of his rifles.

He's 100% solid and a good guy.