• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finally shot my new Howa .308 today...

pklin1297

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2008
Fontana, CA
As the title says, finally got to shoot my new Howa today at Angeles Shooting Ranch in So. Cal today. It was an overcast day with the sun peeking through at times. Almost no wind, 60 - 65F temperature. I am encouraged by the results and believe this rifle has potential as long as I do my part. Next step will be getting a DBM setup for it as loading the internal mag is not really fun, not to mention being limited to 4 rounds...

I am showing two of my better group sets today, one with factory Black Hills ammo with Sierra 175 HPBT, and another with my own reload (Sierra 175, Black Hills brass, Reloder 15 powder 44gn, CCI BR-2 primer, 2.780" OAL). I loaded a hundred rounds with Varget of varying charge weights, and also with OAL about .003" off the rifling. None of them shot as well as the RE-15 round I shot the second group sets below with... I think I will still with RE-15 as my powder of choice from now on.

I apologize for the four-round groupings. My internal mag only accepts 4 rounds and I decided to just shoot all groups that way.

Anyway, here are some pics:

Rifle: Howa 1500 .308, 23.5" barrel with Holland style brake installed by Randall, 1-10 twist. USO SN3-TPAL.

IMG_2015.jpg

Black Hills factory ammo groups:

BlackHills175-01082011.jpg

My reloads, only shot three groups on my last shots:

Reload175smk-01082011.jpg

After I shot groups at the black benches, I moved to the concrete benches after some freed up, proceeded to shoot steel from 200 to 600 yards and I was pleasantly surprised that I could hit them with regularity after I found the proper hold over elevation (I'm new at this, so please excuse my excitement :D)... I am hooked...

Much more to learn, but I like the start.

Peter

Re: Finally shot my new Howa .308 today...

Looking good..What did you finish your barrel and action in? Is that park?

colors are terrible in bright light and under canopy...

The barreled action is finished with Duracoat Magpul FDE, and Duracoat Flat Black.

Hell I like it. And from the looks of your targets it shoots damn good.

Mate that thing just flat out shoots!

Those are some good groups, especially for factory ammo!

Good reason to be exited

It was brought to my attention from a reliable source that the distance to target I shot may have been 88 yards instead of 100 yards based from a previous measurement with a laser range finder, instead of what was noted from the range's layout documentation. If that is the case, then the groups measurements are larger than what the ontarget calculator just churned out. Sorry about that. I'm still pretty happy with the results and will work to get better.

Apologies also for not sticking to the 5 rounds per target rule for posting groupings. My internal mag takes 4 so I wanted to stay with that.

A side note, this Howa is bedded to the stock with Devcon.

Nice post and pretty promising groups! I am wondering about buying a Howa Varmint Supreme in 308. Could you report on your impression re recoil in this rifle?
I am also concerned with the bolt opening- seems like 90 degrees... do you feel it disturbs you or is there an issue with low mounting of a scope?

This rifle is about 16 lbs. loaded, with the brake I have installed the recoil is not an issue at all. A friend of mine has a Howa in .308 and laminated stock without brake, and the recoil is brisk but not punishing. Your experience may vary.

The picture gives a false impression of the bolt opening angle, it is no where near 90 degrees and clears my scope mounted as low as possible without problem. Note the tube of scope is 35mm so even mounted low as possible it will be higher than most if not all 30mm scopes that are mounted with low rings. I have shot other Howas with 30mm scopes mounted low without problems. The tac knob I got installed is of medium profile also and not as big as regular Badger sized knobs; that helps also.