• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finally took the GAP-10 out for a sight in!

Pilky01

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2013
Western U.S.
I am a complete newbie to precision shooting. I fell ass backwards into a great deal on this GAP-10 .308. After a few months of scraping together more money I was able to purchase a Nightforce Nxs from a member on the board here. I finally had some time to kill and the motivation to endure the freezing cold weather.
As soon as I took the first shot I remembered why I had been using my laser bore sight to antagonize cats instead of sighting in rifles. What a waste. Anyway after a lot of work I was on paper. Unfortunately by that time I was out of time and almost out of ammo. I did pause and try out a three shot group before firing my last two rounds to get it right on. The 3 shot group is to the left of the key in the pic below. The other shots were me adjusting the scope. It was only at a hundred yards but for me it was the best group I have ever made with a semi. I am beyond impressed with GA Precision. What an outstanding rifle. It ran perfectly and the trigger was so nice I literally giggled. Here are some pics.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

No idea why it would take many rounds to get sighted at 100 yards. Just fire a shot, measure the vertical and horizontal dispersion with the reticule or just dial to the shot. Sighted in, one shot and one to check.

Congrats on the Gap-10 !
FWIW, when I use a laser bore sight tool I start at shooting at 50 yd or closer and find I'm always om paper. Then zero and back out to 100.

Also, what ammo were you using?

guys, this is the easiest, most simple, damn near no ammo needed way to sight in your rifle... I personally use this method and it works great. Just pull the bolt out of the AR! even better with bolt actions! Hell, I'll do this in my living room with my upper only & bipod deployed looking out the picture window of my livingroom with a point of aim about 25yards away BEFORE I even jump in my car to hit the range. A 25yard zero is damn near the same as a 300yard zero for most AR calibers. This will get you close enough within a few clicks for a 100yard zero. You should have your zero within 3 shots minimum just as long as your rifle is set up correctly. Usually takes me all of one to two shots to get dead nuts zero with a new rifle. Don't waste your ammo!

HOW TO BORE SIGHT A RIFLE - YouTube

I am a complete newbie to precision shooting. I fell ass backwards into a great deal on this GAP-10 .308. After a few months of scraping together more money I was able to purchase a Nightforce Nxs from a member on the board here. I finally had some time to kill and the motivation to endure the freezing cold weather.
As soon as I took the first shot I remembered why I had been using my laser bore sight to antagonize cats instead of sighting in rifles. What a waste. Anyway after a lot of work I was on paper. Unfortunately by that time I was out of time and almost out of ammo. I did pause and try out a three shot group before firing my last two rounds to get it right on. The 3 shot group is to the left of the key in the pic below. The other shots were me adjusting the scope. It was only at a hundred yards but for me it was the best group I have ever made with a semi. I am beyond impressed with GA Precision. What an outstanding rifle. It ran perfectly and the trigger was so nice I literally giggled. Here are some pics.

View attachment 25210

View attachment 25211

View attachment 25212

Last edited:
very nice! My GAP10 looks very similar, except mine is a 6mm Creedmoor.

For zeroing, pull the bolt out and set the upper on a sand bag or something that will keep it stable. Look down the bore at your target 100 yards away and center it. Then look up through your scope, without touching the upper. Look at the crosshairs and see how far off they are. Dial your turrets to the same location that you see through the center of your bore. When you think you have it pretty much lined up, put the bolt back in and fire a round. Then keeping your rifle as steady as possible, dial your turrets until your crosshairs cover the hole of the round you just shot. With practice, you can pretty much zero your scope within 3 shots. If I'm doing it right, sometimes it only takes me two shots, and then a third to verify.

Have fun with that rifle!! They are great shooters!

+1 on elfster's technique. I do the same just to get it on paper and then use the same technique rth1800 mentioned and call it a day. I couldn't tell you how much ammo I wasted as a new shooter years ago trying to sight in a rifle like a retard...

No idea why it would take many rounds to get sighted at 100 yards. Just fire a shot, measure the vertical and horizontal dispersion with the reticule or just dial to the shot. Sighted in, one shot and one to check.

I only had 90 minutes before I had to be back. With the drive that left me almost no time once I pulled the trigger and realized I wasn't even on paper. With the extreme cold there was no way to track my shots. Steam and hot gas was totally obscuring my vision. All in all I only shot 20rds.

I appreciate the compliments and pointers. I am learning a lot on this forum. The ammo was American Eagle 150 grain.

very nice! My GAP10 looks very similar, except mine is a 6mm Creedmoor.

For zeroing, pull the bolt out and set the upper on a sand bag or something that will keep it stable. Look down the bore at your target 100 yards away and center it. Then look up through your scope, without touching the upper. Look at the crosshairs and see how far off they are. Dial your turrets to the same location that you see through the center of your bore. When you think you have it pretty much lined up, put the bolt back in and fire a round. Then keeping your rifle as steady as possible, dial your turrets until your crosshairs cover the hole of the round you just shot. With practice, you can pretty much zero your scope within 3 shots. If I'm doing it right, sometimes it only takes me two shots, and then a third to verify.

Have fun with that rifle!! They are great shooters!

Or you can use your to reticle to 'measure' how far off your point of impact was from your point of aim. Then dial that much to move your point of aim over to your point of impact.

+1 on elfster's technique. I do the same just to get it on paper and then use the same technique rth1800 mentioned and call it a day. I couldn't tell you how much ammo I wasted as a new shooter years ago trying to sight in a rifle like a retard...

I do this often and it works very well. First shot is usually on paper. I like to use a target about 50-100 yards away to bore sight in on.

Or you can use your to reticle to 'measure' how far off your point of impact was from your point of aim. Then dial that much to move your point of aim over to your point of impact.

After getting close, this is a great way to zero in using 2-4 shots and you're done.

Oh, I also have a recent MFG GAP 10 in .308 Win. that's a great shooter.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]Oh, I also have a recent MFG GAP 10 in .308 Win. that's a great shooter.[/QUOTE]

They definitely are. I was all stoked to buy a MR762 I am glad this baby popped up. I am very happy with it.