• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finally took the M1A to long(er-ish) range

bricktop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2011
State College, PA
[crossposted at M14TFL]

Took it to long range (finally) this weekend. Shot targets at 425 and 550 yards (according to google maps). I am a novice to long range shooting, but hoping to learn fast. The college-student budget has been a bit of a hamper to doing what I want.

Anyway, I've worked up a load at 100 yards that seemed to be working well. Groups were converging as I increased from 41.5 to 42.0 to 42.5 grains of H4895 behind a Sierra 168 SMK with a Wolf primer (non-magnum). There weren't any serious pressure signs with those loads so I bumped it to 43.0 grains and made a batch of 20 to try out. I used the first ten to get a chrono reading and zero my rifle. The following are two five-round groups (center bull is first group, second group is after scope adjustment - I then left the zero there). The second pic is the chrono data. I was going to just shoot five for a chrono figure and leave 15 for long range shooting, but the SD looked too low to be believable, so I shot another five.

IMG00088-20110425-0916.jpg

IMG00094-20110425-0918.jpg

Here is the group at 425 yards. All fit in a 3.75" diameter circle. No sighters, just adjusted 2.3 mils for elevation and no windage as per the G7 ballistics program. Conditions were poor, it was raining that day - I really couldn't be happier with the results. Can I assume that the ~2" right shift is due to spin drift? There wasn't much wind. Scope is a 3-10x Mildot Weaver Tactical Grand Slam. My dad had just got a Bushnell 20-60x80mm Legend HD spotting scope and we could very nicely see the holes in the target, even with the rain and haze.

IMG00077-20110424-1546.jpg

Next up we moved it back to 550 yards - the longest range we could do without putting the shooting area in the rain. Unfortunately, I was out of my H4895 load, so I switched to FGMM168. I knew my zero would be incorrect, but I also know that this shoots at about 2615 fps average. So, I just doped it as if I had the correct zero with the different velocity, hoping to hit paper (it was about 4 mils IIRC). First shot I hit it, it was about ~0.5 mils high and ~0.2 mils left (maybe 12 inches high, 6 inches left). I adjusted dope and windage and went for the group. Below is the result, group is 5.25".

550%20yard%20group%205.25inch.jpg

Anyways, this leaves me wanting more. Trying to think how I can stretch the range on our property, and what upgrades I should get first (all my money now I think will be going into a 260 bolt rifle project).

Re: Finally took the M1A to long(er-ish) range

It is/was a Standard. I had the barrel replaced to a Wolfe MMW and bedded the rifle myself (in the walnut stock). Many other small accuracy mods.

very well done for a novice with and M1A. I would like to throw out that I average 2642 fps. I would consider a bump down in FPs. IMR 4895 at 42 grains with fed match primers got me there. Just a thought. Oh I got that FPS (2642) from running forty (40) rounds of Federal gold match through my crony. So I just worked a load to match it. anyway nice job.

I have a reloading question, since there has been some lines made on this topic, are you trimming your brass and are you putting a crimp on your loaded ammo and if so have you experimented with different crimp values?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Valken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">very well done for a novice with and M1A. I would like to throw out that I average 2642 fps. I would consider a bump down in FPs. IMR 4895 at 42 grains with fed match primers got me there. Just a thought. Oh I got that FPS (2642) from running forty (40) rounds of Federal gold match through my crony. So I just worked a load to match it. anyway nice job. </div></div>

Thanks. I plan on playing around a bit more with seating depth. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a bit lower velocity/pressure with good groups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blakheaven</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a reloading question, since there has been some lines made on this topic, are you trimming your brass and are you putting a crimp on your loaded ammo and if so have you experimented with different crimp values?
</div></div>

I trim/champfer/deburr all my brass with a Forster 3-in-1 to 2.005" length. I don't crimp unless there is a cannelure.

Love to see fellow M1A owners getting such great results.
Got a standard myself, with work on the GC and TG.
Can pull 1" at 100yards all day.

I eventually want to put it in a Sage stock to see if the groups will tighten more, when the op-rod blocks for my barrel (as well as cash) are available. It uses a non-standard op-rod guide diameter. The stock I have it is now was kind of a 'practice' one, for me to get good at Steel-Bedding. It does not look very pretty, but it works well
smile.gif
. I may end up just putting it in a heavy fiberglass stock that I have now though, since I'd rather put money into the bolt gun.

Thats great shooting for a standard M1A. Switching to a synthetic stock will add more stability to the action then you can bed it which will tighten up your accuracy. I love my M1A's and it's nice to see another fan. Snipers Hide is a great site to gather information and solve problems. You can also use this site:

http://m14forum.com/

Very nicely done. I've been shooting for many years and my M1A is a NM. Those results are right in there with mine, if I'm having a good day. Congratulations.

Nicely done indeed. Good to see this thread, and someone willing to stretch its legs then post the results. I'll be taking mine out to 600 & 800 this weekend finally. I've been neglecting her hot-ness.

270-uso1.jpg

Axe:

This is a little off-topic, but What is that stock her hot-ness is wearing

Her hot-ness be wearing a JAE Gen 2. She's a heavy pig but she's my pig... and she swallows LOL

That is a good looking rifle. Who has the best prices on those stocks, I have been thinking of changing mine out and doing something with my trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T-Hoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a good looking rifle. Who has the best prices on those stocks, I have been thinking of changing mine out and doing something with my trigger.</div></div>

Unless you're buying a used one, the only place to get them is from JAE directly.

www.jae100.com or www.jallenenterprises.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slothlacrosse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice group. where in PA are you? </div></div>

Central PA. I used to go to scotia more often, but it seems like I get hassled by PGC people every time, or just treated like dirt cause I don't have gray hair.

Well I made it out today. After getting dialed in I shot this 10 round group at 600 with FGMM 168's. Even with the 3 fliers it looks sub-moa. That's a 12" plate with a 4" dot.
513-m1a-600.jpg

I then moved out to 800 and couldn't find the damn target to save my ass. I was shooting a 10X Leupold and the mirage was just too wicked. Given such a small plate and no one to spot I was just wasting ammo at this point. Pretty respectable for 600 though...wasn't expecting it to be quite that good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I made it out today. After getting dialed in I shot this 10 round group at 600 with FGMM 168's. Even with the 3 fliers it looks sub-moa. That's a 12" plate with a 4" dot.
513-m1a-600.jpg

I then moved out to 800 and couldn't find the damn target to save my ass. I was shooting a 10X Leupold and the mirage was just too wicked. Given such a small plate and no one to spot I was just wasting ammo at this point. Pretty respectable for 600 though...wasn't expecting it to be quite that good. </div></div>

Not bad at all. It might not be worth your while to try the 168s at 800 yards anyway, since those bullets start to yaw and tumble around there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bricktop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not bad at all. It might not be worth your while to try the 168s at 800 yards anyway, since those bullets start to yaw and tumble around there. </div></div>

I'm sure that was part of it. This rig has never been out past 200 yards before so the ability to see my splash was critical since I was shoioting alone. I was able to see it clearly at 600 but at 800 the mirage was too overwhelming to see whare they were hitting and I just couldn't walk it in.