• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finding Hard info on the Atlas Bipod

Oddball Six

Commander of Meh
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2010
40°25′N, 104°43′W
Can anyone point me towards hard info or a good, detailed review on the atlas bipod versus other offerings, such as Harris?

Clearly folks with exposure to it seem to prefer it. There are certainly plenty of posts about it. It is just difficult to find hard information showing/demonstrating the features.

Incidentally, Yes, I DID use the search function. Snipers hide has the interesting problem of simply too much information appearing in search results. Despite crawling several pages of results, I see lots of references and expressions of presence but precious little on WHY one is better than the other.

Re: Finding Hard info on the Atlas Bipod

What would you like to know about the ATLAS? Any specific questions? I bet you a dollar myself and the guys around here will be able to help you out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a comparison I did several months ago...

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...852#Post1632852

And the more I use it the better I like it. </div></div>

Bingo.

The Atlas appears to be quite a bit more substantial but the specifications on the site indicates it actually weighs less than the apples-to-apples sized Harris. I realize I am asking for a qualitative assessment here but does it 'feel' bulkier?

Have you had an occasion where the Atlas inhibited you where your experience with a Harris would indicate the smaller bipod would not?

How does the atlas do for stabilization against uneven or cluttered terrain?

How does the atlas do in sub-standard weather conditions? Are there points where rain or sleet or particulates (read: "shit") tend to pool?

Does anyone have experience with the atlas post-drop or after hitting the dirt in prone? Repeatedly?

ATLAS does not feel bulkier to me than a Harris. It actually has a lower profile when mounted to a rail. I think that there are less points that would potentially get sangged.

The atlas swivel performs much like the harris' swivel, except you gain the ability to pan left and right. On uneven terrain it works great.

As far as sub sub standard weather conditions I really haven't been in this situation yet, but I don't anticipate you having any problems.

Oddball-Six,

I'll make you an offer I have made several times and no one has taken me up on it yet.

You buy one and if you don't like it after using it, PM me and I will buy it from you for whatever you paid for it, I need a couple more anyway.

I've let many guys play with and shoot mine, and they ALL want one.

HB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oddball-Six,

I'll make you an offer I have made several times and no one has taken me up on it yet.

You buy one and if you don't like it after using it, PM me and I will buy it from you for whatever you paid for it, I need a couple more anyway.

HB </div></div>

Now that is a hell of a deal right there. I have a feeling that you will end up keeping it once you give it a try....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oddball-Six,
HB </div></div>

I'm sure most of the people you've mentioned it to think Hellbender's full of it. I'd be comfortable wagering that you would you find him to be dead serious on the offer.

I'm one of the few that never warmed up to the Atlas. I am ecstatic that open communication and expressing honest input here on the 'hide has led to the improvement of what some saw to be minor drawbacks (thanks to AccuShot and to HB here) and also to what I see as an improvement of AccuShot's policies (they now back the bipod, not the original purchaser).

Its a great setup, and for what it is designed to do it is tops (especially in its weight class) but wound up not being my cup of tea. If I had started with the Atlas, perhaps Harris would be my second choice, but I'm to used to them.

If you use the search function you will find plenty of info on them. try this search:
http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en

cheers!

Does the Atlas mount like a Harris or?

Are they more stable? I am reading this thread and I have not heard of the Atlas bipod, however my interest is increasing.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If you use the search function you will find plenty of info on them. try this search:
http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en

cheers!
</div></div>

Excellent. Sucks 50% less.

Particularly good thread for those who stumble accross this thread later:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=1470199

Which leaves me with another question. I have a bell and carlson fully adjustable stock with the integral fore-end rail.

Anyone have a pic or info on the atlas being installed on that model stock?

Call Accushot and he can fix you right up, pretty sure he has rail adapters for his short, flat bottom Pic rails.

Better measure the slot dimensions, as I know there are 2 sizes (at least).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The Atlas appears to be quite a bit more substantial but the specifications on the site indicates it actually weighs less than the apples-to-apples sized Harris. I realize I am asking for a qualitative assessment here but does it 'feel' bulkier? </div></div>

No, it is both lighter and more streamlined. It is still rock solid though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you had an occasion where the Atlas inhibited you where your experience with a Harris would indicate the smaller bipod would not?</div></div>

The ONLY time I have seen the Harris as an advantage was at a competition stage where you had to fire prone and then get up and sling the rifle. The Harris collapsed about a second faster that the Atlas. But, as far as employing them, they are about the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does the atlas do for stabilization against uneven or cluttered terrain? </div></div>

The Atlas is vastly superior to the Harris here, you have a lot more options on leg placement, angle and height.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does the atlas do in sub-standard weather conditions? Are there points where rain or sleet or particulates (read: "shit") tend to pool?</div></div>

Zero problems, I have run it in some pretty crappy conditions (rain, freezing rain, sleet, snow) and have had no issues with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have experience with the atlas post-drop or after hitting the dirt in prone? Repeatedly? </div></div>

Don't see this as being an issue. The negs notch into position and an upward bump will not dislodge them. I have heard (but not personally experienced) that some guys have have the legs pop out when they are in the 45 degree position due to recoil. This may be a positional thing, or it may be a driver thing though, not sure.

All in all, the Harris is bested by the Atlas. Some will be happier with the Harris mostly because of familiarity and that it does everything they need it to do. I personally find that the Atlas does all these things better though.

For the record, I am even using one of the first models (without any of the subsequent modifiactions) and have yet to find a reason to send it back to Kasey to get the mods done. I have been through quite a few bipods and the Harris was as good as it got...until the Atlas arrived.

HB </div></div>

I was about to say the same thing....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David@Nemesis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the Atlas mount like a Harris or?

Are they more stable? I am reading this thread and I have not heard of the Atlas bipod, however my interest is increasing.

Thanks </div></div>

David,
The Atlas does not mount like a Harris, it must be attached to some sort of rail. They are absolutely more stable in regards to the Harris, and most find them substanionally easier to "load" up when shooting. For all of you guys i will say keep your eyes open with the Atlas here in the next month or so, i think you will like what you see coming to the table. Kasey is busy filling a DOD order so that is why they are so tough to find them at the moment. As to how they do in shitty conditions, great. Ive had mine out in sleet,snow,rain,mud and they work great.

Best thing about the Atlas is that you can fold it so the legs point to the rear and noone will tell you "Hey, your bipod's on backwards"........

grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best thing about the Atlas is that you can fold it so the legs point to the rear and noone will tell you "Hey, your bipod's on backwards"........

grin.gif

</div></div>

So the legs are fully articulated? E.g. 180 degree rotation on the mount?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best thing about the Atlas is that you can fold it so the legs point to the rear and noone will tell you "Hey, your bipod's on backwards"........

grin.gif

</div></div>

So the legs are fully articulated? E.g. 180 degree rotation on the mount?</div></div>

Yes

The only area where I think the Atlas is bested by the Harris is in speed of folding the bipod back up......by about 1-2 seconds. This isn't even a concern in the fast paced matches at RO.

As for durability, I have beaten the hell out of mine during training and matches. It has been scraped over concrete on its legs and tension knob, buried in the fine south TX dirt, then rained on, then sunbaked, used as a grappling hook to climb up a large earthen berm, dropped...the list goes on and on. It had a little grit in its legs, but functioned flawlessly.

It is more solid than the Harris, is easier to pan left and right, allows more variability in leg length for uneven terrain, allows quick changes to the feet, is easier to load, and is more streamlined.

I agree with prior posters who say if you dont want one you buy, there are several of us who will snatch it right up. I grew up on the Harris, have owned probaly 6-8, but I have replaced them all with Atlas models.

Sean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For all of you guys i will say keep your eyes open with the Atlas here in the next month or so, i think you will like what you see coming to the table.</div></div>
Spill the beans, rifleman!
grin.gif