• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finding lands with Loctite

Is the BWFCT fed on a single or dual phase? When mixing the JB Weld parts are you using your FX120i for measurements or a 1010 beam scale?
Without these answers I don't see how we can really trust your methods...

Is the BWFCT fed on a single or dual phase? When mixing the JB Weld parts are you using your FX120i for measurements or a 1010 beam scale?
Without these answers I don't see how we can really trust your methods...
Oh yeah but that's a given I just figured once everyone was at this level of precision lands finding they'd already know. It's actually a triple phase BWFCTM that I developed, the JB Weld is mixed at NASA its what they use in space so I just buy it directly from them. I figure if it's good enough for space travel it should work finding my lands.

Reactions: Rover31
Oh yeah but that's a given I just figured once everyone was at this level of precision lands finding they'd already know. It's actually a triple phase BWFCTM that I developed, the JB Weld is mixed at NASA its what they use in space so I just buy it directly from them. I figure if it's good enough for space travel it should work finding my lands.

That stuff they sell at NASA is made in the same factory as the regular JB Weld. You’re just paying for the name.

1678709387666.jpeg

Reactions: MakeSawdust
I find the lands and load a few thou short of them.
How do I find the lands? I do.
How short? Depends.
Who cares? Me.
Do I care if you care? No.

Separate subject. Does seating depth mater? Of course it does.
Does it matter to me if it doesn't matter to you? No.

Enjoy your day.

Perhaps, but this method is consistent and you can reuse the components. Takes no time at all.
I have gotten some great info from Eric. But just like Litz, Hodnett et al, I take what makes sense for me a leave the rest. I sure am grateful they are out there…..

Reactions: FredHammer
Agree, except you probably aren't gong to find calipers that are .0005 accurate. Calipers I don't trust just thousandths.

I think if a more people looked at reloading as a trial and error process, other than some scientific adventure, they would have an easier time with it. People spend all this time looking for the "perfect" OAL, the "perfect" powder charge, and perfect annealing. Then get shellacked by some shit pig who actually shoots, rather than spending all day raging about "best" reloading practices.

You change one variable, then test for probable improvement. Then you "test" some more [actually go shooting} to make sure that you can shoot the difference.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS....it's very hard to listen to people talk about all this shit at matches while they are getting curb stomped by a guy that loaded all his ammo full progressive on a 1050 and tumbled the loaded rounds in lizard bedding in a harbor freight tumbler to get the sizing lube off.

They won't listen though. Even when they're 45th in the series for the 5th year in a row getting it from the guy that's third in the series, they're too stupid to realize they don't know what they don't know.

They need something to blame besides the guy in the mirror. I don't know about anyone else, but once I started blaming that guy I got a lot better really quickly.

They need something to blame besides the guy in the mirror. I don't know about anyone else, but once I started blaming that guy I got a lot better really quickly.
I’m the opposite. I blame myself to a fault. In testing my biggest goal is to try to get me out of the equation, so I can see if anything else is aggravating my shooting. Seems I never feel like I get to that point. I always figure I am the weakest link.

If the gun shoots sub 1/2 moa groups at 100 yards and shoots the waterline at 400,600,800, and 1000 yards there's not really anything else to blame.

Reactions: FredHammer
Seriously? I could use my Hornady gauge and modified case, and calculate distance to the Lands on about 25 rifles before I'd finish one of those cycles on a single rifle. I'm really struggling to understand why all this work and mess is better than the conventional method that most of us use. I always try to remember that old saying ... "The road less-traveled, is less-traveled for a reason." That said ... to each his own ... eh?
I've been using the Hornady case gauge setup for over a decade...Works great for me. Individual cases are super cheap ($5-$8), and if you have a wildcat, you can send them a couple of your fire-formed cases, and they'll make you custom case gauges for their tool.

Reactions: secondofangle2
I used to find the lands by seating a dummy round a little at the time, but I realized it doesn’t really matter to me exactly where they are. I don’t load into the lands and all that matters to me is finding a cartdridge length that shoots well. If that length turns out to be 2.25, it makes no difference to me if that’s .02 off or 0.025 off. Either way I’m shooting 2.25 BTO. I just need to know a decent number to start at so a hornady tool deployed with reasonable skill is quick and plenty good for me. If you want to seat into the lands go ahead and get OCD. But if you’re like me and don’t want to ride the edge of rounds not chambering when you need them to, there’s really no need for a laboratory grade measurement to the lands…..IMO

Last edited:
In the past I would make a dummy round, scuff the projectile with steel wool. Insert in the chamber and carefully eject - see if there are land marks on the projectile. Repeat until no more land marks.

However I've gotten to the point where I don't know how much it matters to know that measurement. Some of my more recent barrels I haven't performed that measurement, and have had no problem working up loads that consistently shoot under 1/2 MOA.

Reactions: secondofangle2
In the past I would make a dummy round, scuff the projectile with steel wool. Insert in the chamber and carefully eject - see if there are land marks on the projectile. Repeat until no more land marks.
Same here, but I found there can be other things going on that can give false reads like that. So I went to gravity method. Ballls on
However I've gotten to the point where I don't know how much it matters to know that measurement. Some of my more recent barrels I haven't performed that measurement, and have had no problem working up loads that consistently shoot under 1/2 MOA.
I screwed up and shot major jam! Bug holes no pressure

Last edited:
Fuck sakes guys...Easiest method yet:
"Gravity & Pinky". Load a bullet long in the case. Push into chamber with pinky. Muzzle to sky. If the cartridge doesn't fall out when you take your finger off, it is stuck in the rifling. Seat shorter until the cartridge free falls out.
That's so stupid is genius. I love it.
*you misspelled poor.

Reactions: MakeSawdust
I know where the lands are. I found that for at least two particular rifles it does matter.
One likes to be closer to but not touching the lands and the other can be quite a bit further off.
Both of these instances result in lower ES and SD as well as smaller group size over a significant sample size.
As to how I find the lands?
You can ask. *

*.ƚɘllud ɘʜƚ no nɘɘƨ ɘɿɒ ƨbnɒl ɘʜƚ ʇo ɘɔɒɿƚ on liƚnu ǫniɿɘdmɒʜɔ ƚɒ ƚqmɘƚƚɒ ɘviƨƨɘɔɔuƨ ʜɔɒɘ ʜƚqɘb ǫniƚɒɘƨ ɘƨɒɘɿɔni bnɒ ǫniƚɒɘƨ ɿɘƚʇɒ ƚɘllud ɘʜƚ "ɘʞomƨ" nɘʜƚ I .bnuoɿ ƨiʜƚ ɘɔuboɿqɘɿ bnɒ ɘɿuƨɒɘm I ɘƨɒɔ ɘʜƚ oƚ bɘulǫ ƚɘllud ɒ ɘvɒʜ I ɘɔno .liɒƚɘb ƚnɒƚɿoqmi ɘno ʜƚiw boʜƚɘm ɘƚiƚɔol ɘʜƚ ɘʞil ʜɔum ƨniǫɘd boʜƚɘm yM