• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finding out about all this Riflery at Range

NPB

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2023
Lafayette, Louisiana
Hi to the Hide!

I'd sure like to dip my feet into this precision rifle shooting stuff. I attended an "outlaw" style match as an observer, and a kind shooter let me put a few rounds out to more than 3 times further than I've ever shot before. Intoxicating, plus really like matches a form of shooting.

I've been doing a lot of pistol and carbine, and I was a clays shooter earlier in life- but even those few shots that I took are enough to tell me that I'm back to being a complete and total newbie all over again. I picked up Mr. Cleckner's book, and my gunsmitih has pointed me to the Hide. I'm real tempted to start with a "trainer rifle" bolt gun- I have an 11 year old nephew who I would love to introduce to the shooting sports, and this could be something that'd we'd learn how to do together.

I've got a 14.5" AR with an LPVO. I've been told that the heavyweight 5.56mm at 300 meters and out is a whole other world to experience from the 55gr stuff at 200 yards and in. My plan is to shoot my AR when are where and how I can (it'll teach me what I don't want have, lol). and get a trainer built for me and the boy. Then, once budgets and timing allow, actually get a reasonable rifle to really get after it with. I could at least show up to the matches with a rifle I'd be willing to shoot. I once showed up to a 3gun match with a .35 Whelen and good intentions.

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts and impressions!

While I usually loathe FaceBook, for this I'll make an exception. Which groups should I introduce myself to?

Last bit- I always hear from the talented people how they're conducing their physical-visual follow through, managing recoil and seeing-feeling all sorts of stuff. That rifle I shot was a dream and half of excellent, but I felt like everything about my recoil management was inadequate and that so much happened visually that was both quicker and more surprising than I expected. How do ya'll process? How do I best find a process to start?

Hi!