• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finding the right barrel for my Remington 700

MedicUP

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2009
El Paso, TX
I just built a Remington 700 in 300 Win Mag using the SPS action/barrel on a McMillan A5 with a Horus Scope. First time at the range today. Beat the hell out of me. Well, maybe not that bad but unpleasant to fire to say the least. Think I'd like to change out the barrel for something a bit heavier. Suggestions on makes/models?

Thanks

Re: Finding the right barrel for my Remington 700

While a heavier barrel will mitigate the felt recoil a little bit a muzzle brake will be much more effective.

Well... actually, I didn't want to mention that. I was actually thinking a heavy barrel and a JP Howitzer brake. Thoughts?
WW

Yeah, I love it when an asshole lays down next me who's shooting a brake. It makes me want to pick up a handfull of sand and chuck it right in his face every time he touches a round off. Brakes are the best.....unless you're the schmuck layin next to the guy who's running one. (grin)

A guy who's screen name is "Graham", on the site here, built himself a 300wm that went around 18#'s all up. His goal for that rifle was that he wanted a 300wm that he could shoot all day long without having to resort to braking it.....it worked. I shot it and it was a pussycat (and I'll be the first to admit that I'm a pussy when it come's to recoil, I just don't like it). Topped with a 5.5-22x NF I was able to spot my own shots through the glass, all without an obnoxious brake and being soft on the shoulder.

Really. Sounds like exactly what I'd like. I don't mind braking it but I know everyone else on the line does. Do you recall what all he did to it to increase the weight? Also, do you recall what kind of loads he was shooting comfortably? I'm looking at loading some pretty hot 190gr rounds so I suspect I'll have to brake it to keep it somewhat comfortable. I swear by the fifth shot today I was really beginning to dread the shot. It took everything I had not to yank it.

I have an E.R. Shaw I think its a 1.125 all the way to out. Might be to heavy for some but you sure don't feel the recoil. Recoil feels like my .308 maybe even a touch less. Im using a B&C medalist stock. I know most here don't care for Shaw barrels just giving my .02 cents on barrel diameter.

The JP brake will be very effective, but overly loud. Obnoxiously loud, if I could find any other option, I would. I have the FTE brake on my .308 and I love it, but there are plenty of good brakes out there.

DD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Will W.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really. Sounds like exactly what I'd like. I don't mind braking it but I know everyone else on the line does. Do you recall what all he did to it to increase the weight? Also, do you recall what kind of loads he was shooting comfortably? I'm looking at loading some pretty hot 190gr rounds so I suspect I'll have to brake it to keep it somewhat comfortable. I swear by the fifth shot today I was really beginning to dread the shot. It took everything I had not to yank it. </div></div>

Send him a PM, like I mentioned in my first post.....Here's his profile link, and I'd bet he'll give you all the info that he possibly can.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showprofile&User=14099

Will W, you have a PM.

I'm shooting 210 JLK VLD long boat-tails at 2950fps and can easily see each shot impact on 1MOA steel at 1000yards. I think either Brad or Nick was shooting the 12"x6" steel prairie-dog at 1K, which is better than I can do. You can shoot 50-100 rounds a day with it without getting tired, which is the only way - in my opinion - to set up a useful magnum rifle.

A big part of shooting well with a magnum - and even more so with a .50 - is not not influencing the gun in recoil by holding muscle tension on it at the moment of firing.

Many people think they want a brake, but it's because they need a fix for bad body position and/or poor NPA. I'm not saying that's you, I'm just sayin'...
smile.gif

You could try the AICS: it handles the recoil of the bigger magnums very well - better, in my opinion, than the McMillan A series does. In the tactical contours, the AMU contour is hard to beat for bigger calibers, and it's not too thick at the muzzle if you decide later that you really do want a brake.

Just use a magnum recoil pad on your shoulder when you are doing a lot of shooting. I only screw the brake on when some one sets up next to me with one.
Mine is a burgess and will peal the plastic on your ear muffs if your next to it.
Recently we had a stack of 4x8 sheets of target backer boards at the range and
were leaning them between shooting stations. That worked better than anything
to shield the guys next door. Anyway I sight in a lot of magnums for guys before
hunting season and the PAST shoulder pad works fine. Never started flinching and
never came home bruised.

Why not man up and stop being a pussy?

You can build it heavy to dampen the recoil or you can work with what you have and just use a break. I have Rem 700 PSS 300wm thats all factory except for the ops break on the end of it. Its very pleasent to shoot.

My first custom build I went heavy 1.25" all the way for 26" heavy, gun shoots very well, and to watch 7mm hits without a break is nice. I still have the barrelled action ditched the stock though. I was 22k a year poor when I built this took almost a year to get it all together scrimpin and saving

It is not being a pussy...shit my 300WM is 17lbs and I am going to put a Limbsaver on it....all the comfort you can get when you want to go out and shoot close to 100 rounds comfortably.

My 300WM is running 180 Sierra Spitzers....slightly better BC than SMK's and cheaper too....out of my 24" Pacnor #8 barrel at about 3060fps with 73gr of RL22. MCM A3 Spacer and forend rail and cheek piece....DD Ross bottom metal/rings and base....has a 20x Super Sniper on it for now. Works great and shooting 40-75 rounds in a day with other rifles in the mix as well is not bad at all.....go heavy...fuck a brake.

100_2853.jpg

100_2851.jpg

Broughton, Krieger, Bartlin, or Rock, with a APA/PAI Fatboy brake

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is not being a pussy...shit my 300WM is 17lbs and I am going to put a Limbsaver on it....all the comfort you can get when you want to go out and shoot close to 100 rounds comfortably.

My 300WM is running 180 Sierra Spitzers....slightly better BC than SMK's and cheaper too....out of my 24" Pacnor #8 barrel at about 3060fps with 73gr of RL22. MCM A3 Spacer and forend rail and cheek piece....DD Ross bottom metal/rings and base....has a 20x Super Sniper on it for now. Works great and shooting 40-75 rounds in a day with other rifles in the mix as well is not bad at all.....<span style="font-weight: bold">go heavy...fuck a brake</span>.
</div></div>

Until you have to move and carry it all day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The JP brake will be very effective, but overly loud. Obnoxiously loud, if I could find any other option, I would. I have the FTE brake on my .308 and I love it, but there are plenty of good brakes out there.

DD </div></div>

How much recoil reduction when using an Badger FTE brake via .308 round? What does it feel like?

Thanks

Gene

As an update. I ended up having Hart Barrels build me a 28", 13lb barrel with a Vais Muzzle Brake. Asked them to bed it into my McMillan A5 and voila... nice shooter. Threw a Horus Raptor optic on top and it's a dream to shoot. Loading 190gr Sierra HPBT with 70gr RE-22 and it's giving me 0.5" 5-shot groups at 100yds on the bench. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gszeto99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The JP brake will be very effective, but overly loud. Obnoxiously loud, if I could find any other option, I would. I have the FTE brake on my .308 and I love it, but there are plenty of good brakes out there.

DD </div></div>

How much recoil reduction when using an Badger FTE brake via .308 round? What does it feel like?

Thanks

Gene </div></div>

With a .308 shooting 178 Amax, made it feel less than my .257 Roberts shooting little 100gr pills. Probably somewhere around a varmint weight .243 shooting 95-105 grainers - felt recoil is subjective and varies person to person IME. Honestly, I don't need a brake for my .308 I was just testing it out. The only reason I have a brake on my .308 today is because I didn't want the tuning fork ping QD adapter for my suppressor, and I wanted QD over thread on to easily adapt it to other rifles and AR's.

When I had my Rem 700 in a Richards thumbhole stock in .300 WM all up it weighed about 11.5 lbs. I changed the recoil paid to a limbsaver, and occasionally (during the Summer) used a past recoil shield when shooting the 208 AMAX...made it much more comfortable easily a 40-50 round day, and I'm a little recoil sensitive. A brake would have reduced the recoil more, and more inexpensively. But personally, I would have chosen to go with an MTU/AMU contour barrel to up the weight before braking it if not using a QD for a suppressor.

Some times you can't have brakes. I shoot competiton, the NRA gets pissy when you show up on the 1000 yard line with a brake.

I'm a wimp, so when I built my 300 WM target rifle, I went heavy. Its not like I have to pack the sucker elk hunting or something.

I use a douglas barrel, and its long, (29 in). Makes it nice for setting it back when the throat starts to go. Lots of wood too.

Call me a pussy if you want, but I can still lift a beer with my right arm after a match.

1000%20yd%20Rifle.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some times you can't have brakes. I shoot competiton, the NRA gets pissy when you show up on the 1000 yard line with a brake.

I'm a wimp, so when I built my 300 WM target rifle, I went heavy. Its not like I have to pack the sucker elk hunting or something.

I use a douglas barrel, and its long, (29 in). Makes it nice for setting it back when the throat starts to go. Lots of wood too.

Call me a pussy if you want, but I can still lift a beer with my right arm after a match.

1000%20yd%20Rifle.jpg

</div></div>

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Is that a 40X stock? It looks great. </span> No the pistol grip is all wrong.