• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finding the right round for my .223 bolt action

Br00dy2131

Private
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2021
Hello, hopefully this is in the right thread. I just got my rifle back and assembled from my local gunsmith. Its a 1/8 20inch .223 proof research barrel bolt action if that helps. Im looking to find the best shooting factory round this barrel likes. I see there are various kinds of ammo in .223 and was wondering what the typical "flow-chart" thought process there is to finding what my barrel will like the best.

I would try 73gr eldm ammo, hornady 75gr bthp ammo, see if you can find some loaded with the 77smk bullet. I bet one of those 3 would shoot great with that barrel. You could also try 69smk gold medal match.

But what is your intended purpose for this rifle? Are you looking to shoot long range or are you trying to blow up varmints?

Hello, hopefully this is in the right thread. I just got my rifle back and assembled from my local gunsmith. Its a 1/8 20inch .223 proof research barrel bolt action if that helps. Im looking to find the best shooting factory round this barrel likes. I see there are various kinds of ammo in .223 and was wondering what the typical "flow-chart" thought process there is to finding what my barrel will like the best.
I would just about guarantee the Berger 77 otm tactical, will shoot very well in it. Not sure if you can find em though.

I would try 73gr eldm ammo, hornady 75gr bthp ammo, see if you can find some loaded with the 77smk bullet. I bet one of those 3 would shoot great with that barrel. You could also try 69smk gold medal match.

But what is your intended purpose for this rifle? Are you looking to shoot long range or are you trying to blow up varmints?
Range fun and seeing how far I can push .223. I will keep a look out for those rounds thanks!

Start with Federal Gold Medal Match 69g. My Tikka Varmint will put 10 under a dime @100 in a timed ten minute match with a Harris bipod and rear bag. Ten under a quarter @200.

Ive been working on that today. Ive got a Remington 700 stainless 5R 20" stock barrel. So far Ive shot Hornady 75 grain, American Eagle 75 FMJ, and HSM 75 gr bthp. The Hornady was first about .4MOA, the American Federal (at 60% of the Hornady 's price) was just a hair over .4 The HSM about .7. Ive got some Norma 77 grain bthp on the way and will get back. 62 grain greentips were about 2 moa with a flyer out to 3.

For the money Ill be shooting mostly American Eagle.

Which brings up a question? Or perhaps its self explanatory, but reloading allows you to customize your load to your rifle and get better groups..

Goddamn it there goes another $2000

I get consistant <.5" groups with the frontier 5.56 75gr BTHP and it's cheaper than most match ammo. Keep in mind my savage has close to .100 freebore in the factory chamber so I see no pressure signs with the 5.56. Your mileage may vary...

From what I've shot and loaded, pretty much anything in the 75gr BTHP class shoots good in most everything with a 9 twist or better. As stated earlier, grab what you can and try them all.

Ive been working on that today. Ive got a Remington 700 stainless 5R 20" stock barrel. So far Ive shot Hornady 75 grain, American Eagle 75 FMJ, and HSM 75 gr bthp. The Hornady was first about .4MOA, the American Federal (at 60% of the Hornady 's price) was just a hair over .4 The HSM about .7. Ive got some Norma 77 grain bthp on the way and will get back. 62 grain greentips were about 2 moa with a flyer out to 3.

For the money Ill be shooting mostly American Eagle.

Which brings up a question? Or perhaps its self explanatory, but reloading allows you to customize your load to your rifle and get better groups..

Goddamn it there goes another $2000
Actually 2000 bucks is a small number when you actually get into reloading, I've got three to four times that wrapped up in powder alone. 😳 You will eventually want the finer things in life, all the expensive tools and such..

• Sad
Reactions: Maggot

Those are great suggestions. 73gr ELD is the best in my .223 guns, but impossible to find now.

Any of the SMKs will work pretty well. 75gr Hornady BTHP never did well in my guns.

Is that BTHP or just fmj? Do you recommend either?
It's open tip match "otm" if you can find either the 77 or 73 Berger ammo get it and try it.. are you not going to get in to reloading because there are endless combos to try for reloading

Actually 2000 bucks is a small number when you actually get into reloading, I've got three to four times that wrapped up in powder alone. 😳 You will eventually want the finer things in life, all the expensive tools and such..
Yep buy once cry once... I went from lee to lyman to zero all in a year lol