• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Fine cross hair reticle for 1500+ yards?

s2324

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2009
Kansas
Guys,

I have the opportunity to purchase long range scope for my M96 Windrunner (50 bmg) for a great price, but the scope has a fine cross hair reticle. Can you use the fine cross hairs reticle in extreme long range shooting? Any advantages to having this type of reticle for long range shooting?

Should I just hold off and get a Mil ranging reticle?

Thanks,
Scott E.

Re: Fine cross hair reticle for 1500+ yards?

If you know the distance you are shooting at the ranging reticle won't offer any advantage. However, it is useful in calling your shots and making adjustments to bring you on target but as you are shooting a 50 it is more than likely the recoil, unless extremely well managed, will prevent you from doing that. If someone is spotting your shots the ranging reticle becomes more redundant.

Fine reticles are good for long range, they don't cover the target and allow for more precise aim.

A reticle can be both thin and mil or MOA ranging at the same time. I would inquire as to what make and model scope it is, but a fine reticle is desired for distant targets. It would be a HUGE benefit to have a ranging reticle, a fine duplex or similar will work if you know the distance to target, but when you don't........

Kirk R

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A reticle can be both thin and mil or MOA ranging at the same time. I would inquire as to what make and model scope it is, but a fine reticle is desired for distant targets. It would be a HUGE benefit to have a ranging reticle, a fine duplex or similar will work if you know the distance to target, but when you don't........

Kirk R </div></div>What he said. I prefer fine reticles myself.
smile.gif

Well I was looking at the S&B PMII with the P4f reticle or a great deal on my friends US Optics SN-9 with the fine cross hair reticle.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I really want to talk myself into the USO scope.

Thanks,
Scott E.