• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finish a 308 or buy another sps varmint in 223?

Bayou1535

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2011
MW
Here's the idea that I keep kicking around on what to finish next. I just finished an SPR with all the bells and whistles including a Noveske 18" barrel, all top shelf components that I hope will shoot great but I have not added glass yet. I have the glass but have not got the mount yet. I have previously bought a sps varmint in 308 and just stuck it in the safe to start next but I'm wondering if I should get another 223 as in the sps varmint model. The reason I'm thinking with going the 223 route in a bolt action is cheaper shooting and I honestly don't think I will be shooting over 200 to 300 yards maybe 400 tops unless it's after crop season on a couple farms that I shoot at. I'm wondering if the SPR will be accurate enough and just go ahead with the 308. I did plan geeting the bolt action trued, new barrel and stock. From what I can tell the 223 is alot cheaper to reload for when comparing powder, brass and bullets. Whats everyone think?

Re: Finish a 308 or buy another sps varmint in 223?

I'd say finish the 308. It's not going to take much and you'll have an operational weapon whereas with starting with a new build you will have two unfinished projects and nothing to shoot with.

Thanks for the reply and I do plan on finishing the AR this week but was thinking about the 308 bolt versus the 223 bolt.

Ah, sorry I guess I did not understand that all the way. I've always liked to try new calibers, equipment ect. on my new builds. So with that in mind I would lean towards starting off fresh with the 223 on your first bolt. And it will be like you said even cheaper to shoot than the 308. Reloading supplies will pay for themselves over time so don't look at that as a factor.

Id finish the .308.

If you used all top shelf components on the SPR build you should be grouping 1/2 to 3/4" moa, maybe better once you find the right load.

A .223 bolt will get even smaller, but honestly is it worth it when you already have a .308 bolt gun to play with?

Id spend the money on the 308 build personally.

After thinkin about it for awhile I believe i will just finish with the intended 308 build. The 223 AR should shoot decent and if it doesn't then I will try a 223 bolt and just regulate the ar as a yote rifle. Thanks for the opinions