• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finished my Cerakote Oven

TXBRASS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2009
Shiner, TEXAS
Just finished my Cerakote Oven.

$200 for a stainless and insulated used warming cabinet that "might" be working off of CL.

Welded the back door shut and removed all the guts and junk off the top. Sealed, welded, and high-temp foam and caulk'd all the holes, openings, and vents. Welded a piece of 1/8" steel plate on top.

Found a 1500 watt dimmer switch on Ebay for $20 and wired up 5 - 250 watt heat lamps that run on the dimmer. Hits 300 without the deflector shield and 260 with it in, in 50 minutes at full capacity. (didn't go longer to see what it would max out at, but had to drop dimmer way down to hold 250 and not continue to rise) Sides and top don't even get warm to the touch. 40" of hanging height.

Really happy with the results and less than $400 invested in whole project. Added casters this morning so it can roll around shop.

I guess it is pretty much air-tight, because I left the wire hole unsealed so I can add my thermometer wire later this week, and when I open the door and close it, air shoots (whistles) thru the hole for a few seconds each time. I guess this is the cool air equalizing with the hot air inside when the door is shut and latched.... No biggies, just sounds weird. Gonna leave the hole unsealed as I figure this pressure release is needed and good. (don't want a boom)...

Mounted the digital thermometer this morning. Probe is on wall about half way up the side and cord feeds down thru electrical hole and digital monitor mounts on outside of oven. Got oven to 260 without deflector and then installed deflector and cranked dimmer down to about 60%. Held between 249-251 for an hour like this. Opened door and dropped temp to 175 and then closed door and dropped dimmer down to around 45% and it held temp within one degree.... Im sure outside temp will effect where dimmer will need to be throughout the year, but I'm very pleased with the ability it has to hold desired temp.

I just realized that you're in Shiner. I am in the Victoria area. I will have to get with you when I am ready to have a Cerakote job done!

Txbrass, do you see an advantage of the "heat lamps" over "oven/stove elements"?

Also, considering how great the infrastructure is, that you're working with, do you have any intent of putting on a PID? For the extremely minimal cost (~$30.00ish) you would have precise and near 'infinite' control on the temps. Around 1 degree precise, I'm talking about.

PD,

Ready when U are....

Sean,

Gonna see how this dimmer works and if it varies more than my test runs I will get one of the controls.

Heat lamps are easy to wire and easy to replace. Any issue at all and it can all be changed and repaired in 30 minutes with a trip to the local small-town hardware store. Living in BFE has its disadvantages when needing parts quickly and without driving an hour to the "city" an that's mainly why I went with heat bulbs....

Took her to the limit this afternoon. Full throttle with deflector shield in entire time. 2 hours and 15 minutes and was at 310 degrees. Won't ever need her that hot, but glad to see what it can do. The sides were pretty warm, but still could hold your hand on it without moving it.... Really happy with the finished product.

Have run multiple tests with oven with around 20 degree difference in temp outside and it is consistent to almost the exact minute in reaching desired temp and holds within a degree or two with dimmer switch. Very pleased with results. Now, to put her to use.

Hey TXBRASS, I live in Victoria and am looking for someone to cerakote a rifle. Is this a business you have or a hobby? If you are interested, please contact me at [email protected].

What kind of latch is that and where did you get it?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

If you do step up to an old oven with its' controls and heating element heating element in the future your set for powder coating up to 450.

It's crazy seeing some of the replies. It's almost like we're neighbors. I am in Ganado. This is a cool project. I'd be more then willing to donate some guinea pig rifles if you want to test. I think you could pay for the whole project in about 2 days with the handful of us in the same area.

Hey, that's great, show us your results when you get a chance.

Some of my projects so far....will have my FFL in a week or two and will be an official business so I guess it will be time to be a paid sponsor here on the Hide! Lovin' it!