• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Finishing the finish on a quilted maple stock

CLICKBANGBANG

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2011
I have a rollover sporter quilted maple stock that I'm finishing. It has been bedded to my action (Win M70 7mm RM) and sanded to 320 grit. Went with Birchwood Casey Sealer Filler for two coats. Tru Oil from there sanding back to wood with 0000 steel wool between each coat. I've got 9 coats of tru oil on it now. I'm wanting some ideas to finish this finish. There are 87 million ways to stain a stock and I'm ready to shoot this stick. I've seen waxes used being buffed in. I'd like a gloss finish on it.

Thanks for any help.
smile.gif

Re: Finishing the finish on a quilted maple stock

You can gloss finish with Tru-oil. As long as it is over the sealer and the grain is filled (easy with maple. The thin the Tru Oil by half and hand rub it with the meaty part of the palm and do this for several coats. The hand buffing is what makes the Tru Oil really shine.
There is a product now that Brownells sells that I use. I rubbed so many stocks the old fashioned way I developed eczema on the palms, so it is spray on these days for me.

Teak oil is what I use. Little more work, but if time is on your side the finish is pretty dern sexy.

You'll wanna try to eat it with bacon once your done.
smile.gif

C.

Well I talked to a local guy today and he helped me a little. I am going to try to hand rub a coat or two in. Then I'm going to throw a coat or two of wax on and call it done. Thanks for the help.
smile.gif

Make sure the grain is filled well, because if not the wax tends to fill the open poors and make heavy deposits that dry up and look like little spots.
The Johnson paste wax is good stuff and puts a really nice shine on it. Good luck!

+1 on filling the grain. Tru Oil is also softer, which makes it easier
to touch of imperfections or nicks later on. I no nonger use steel wool
as it will/can embed in the finish and the wood. I use 1000 to 1200 wet
sandpaper and wet sand final coats then polish that matte finish with a
soft rag and compound. HAND RUB in other words until it is nice and shiny.

Before you put any finish on the maple stock I would stain it to bring out the figure, otherwise it's just going to be a bland light color.
Ferric nitrate is the traditional stain for maple in this country, made by dissolving iron nails in nitric acid. Fun for all the family. Luckily there are plenty of modern stains thanks to the traditional muzzleloader guys, either alcohol or aniline ones work fine.