• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Finnaly did it. Bedding in progress.

flyboy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2008
State College, PA
I finnaly bit the bullet. I spent last night embeading a piece of 3/4 square steel tubing in the forend of the tupperware stock and tonight I'm finishing it off with Marine Tex. Hopefully it turns out well. Just the process of melting the steel in place added all kinds of riggidity to it, I can only hope the bed make it even better.

Thanks to all of you that have done how-to's on this, it realy has come in handy.

Re: Finnaly did it. Bedding in progress.

what stock did you do it to? i still have the original injection molded peice of crap that came with my Rem 700 SPS-V, replaced it with an HS-Precision. id like to do something like that(if my mind is telling the same story you are) to the tupperware one if i decide to build another rifle on it.

Well I'm more than pleased. the stock isn't as solid as one of the high dollare ones but is prabaly about as stiff as a good wood stock. I'll try and get pics up and yes, the stock used was one much like whats on the SPS. I bedded about 3 inches infront of the recoil lug that coverd about 3 1/2 inches of the steel suport I added. the next step is to wrap the bbl and full length bed the rest of the forend of the stock to really add the rest of the ridgidity.

I did the same thing and made an injection molded stock at least serviceable when using a sling. I used the 1/2 aluminum tubing from a local store. I know on the real flyweight stuff some guys have used a carbon arrow to add rigidity without adding a ton of weight.

i was thinkin about doing the same thing, but with solid square stock to add weight. i like an extremely heavy rifle for target stuff. wanted to use it as a trainer for my son(even though hes only 6 Months old). it never hurts to make a rifle and keep it for a little while right? and maybe get some practice in myself. know what i mean?

Brownells sells some thick 2 inch wide tape that is perfect
for wrapping barrels prior to bedding. I bought three rolls
last time I ordered. I also use it on lugs. It is thick, strong
adhesive, consistent thickness.

well the camera sux and so did the lighting but you can make it out. I don't have any pics from before it bedded the stock but the steel goes back all the way to the mag well through two pieces of plastic stock (melted). Again, I can't believe how much of a differance this makes and for not a lot of coin. This will at least hold me untile I can ponny up for a nice manners or one from pet lincon.

2.jpg

1-1.jpg

Great job,i think i will do one of mine like that.

There are still a few spots that had little air bubbles in it, but nothing a skim coat won't fix. Again, to all you guys out there with the plastic stock and no money for a new one or for you guys waiting on one, this is a great way to hold you over.

i think you convinced me. im gonna pick up some more bedding compound and some solid square stock. should be an intersting adventure. and if i fuck it up, ill just melt it down and make some paper weights.