• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fire cracking across lands?

Alec Cochran

Private
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2022
Texas
Newbie here. Tikka factory barrel, 6.5 CM, roughly 2000 rounds (I lost count). I started getting fliers after my normal cleaning routine (about every 150 rounds clean with BoreTech Eliminator patches and nylon brush. Alternate until clean patches. Clean neck with one size over bronze brush and eliminator and patch dry). On my last trip out, I also started seeing pressure signs and heavy bolt lift from factory ammo. I was curious if I had a carbon ring problem that had been slowly accumulating on me, so I bought a borescope and decided to check it out before and after cleaning. I didn't find a carbon ring, just very faint carbon build up that cleaned up easily with my normal routine.

However, I did notice these cracks that run across the lands at about 45* to the rifling. There were a handful of them within the first 3-4" of barrel. Are the cracks that run straight continuously across the lands and grooves normal? Is something in the cleaning routine potentially causing them?

Photo on 4-2-23 at 8.06 PM.JPG

Photo on 4-2-23 at 7.33 PM #2.JPG

Last edited:
thankfully the barrels are the replaceable part of the gun just expensive .

Reactions: lash
It would be bummer at 2000 rounds for it to be shot out already, but its possible. I have seen much worse fire cracking in barrels that still shoot. Have you run it down well to make sure there is not another cause for the fliers?

It would be bummer at 2000 rounds for it to be shot out already, but its possible. I have seen much worse fire cracking in barrels that still shoot. Have you run it down well to make sure there is not another cause for the fliers?

Yes, the fire cracking isn't too severe. I was curious if the x-shaped cracks were a normal part of fire cracking or maybe something I created inadvertently. I don't know if they're related to the fliers or not. There is a decent bit of hard carbon in the grooves through the first 5-6" of barrel that may be causing the fliers.

I did check torques, dis-assembled/re-assembled, different ammo, etc. I have another barrel on the way, so I'm not too worried about stretching every ounce of life from the factory barrel. Just curious if this was a known phenomenon that I could avoid in the future.

Maybe the hammer forging of the barrel results in this x like anomaly.

Nothing you are doing cleaning wise would contribute to this.

If anything, I’d work on that hard carbon further down the barrel. A short soak (1/2 hour) of CLR) and a good scrub with a brush might do it . If not repeat, but don’t leave the CLR on there too long.

Get a 308 win ...8000 rds still accurate. Maybe less firecracking ...or about the same.
Took that barrel off, and chambered a new one..."spun up" for the morons, so you know what I mean.
Cut the 26" barrels chamber off and shortened it, chambered it for 30 RAR in an AR 15...where it was repurposed and go about 10,000 rds...it's very accurate with the same bullets it liked as a 308 bolt gun.
I treat the 6.5 CMs much more delicately than the 308s.
But I already have a new spare barrel chambered for the bolt 6.5 CM.
Not for the 308s cause they seriously last so long and take alot of abuse..
Plus I can order one from suppliers that have em in stock and be at my door in 7 days. One day to chamber, thread for brake, etc and load some ammo...be shooting the next day. I have 2 special twist barrel blanks in .510 10 twist & .338 6.5 twist that are over due. The rest are no line no waiting, instock and ship the barrel blank, from most major barrel makers.

Get a 308 win ...8000 rds still accurate. Maybe less firecracking ...or about the same.
Took that barrel off, and chambered a new one..."spun up" for the morons, so you know what I mean.
Cut the 26" barrels chamber off and shortened it, chambered it for 30 RAR in an AR 15...where it was repurposed and go about 10,000 rds...it's very accurate with the same bullets it liked as a 308 bolt gun.
Plus I can order one from suppliers that have em in stock and be at my door in 7 days. One day to chamber, thread for brake, etc and load some ammo...be shooting the next day. I have 2 special twist barrel blanks in .510 10 twist & .338 6.5 twist that are over due. The rest are no line no waiting, instock and ship the barrel blank, from most major barrel makers.
What does all this have to do with the OP asking if the cracking is normal and is it causing flyers….im confused.

308s last a long time but no one is using a barrel with 8000 rounds in FTR. If you dont beat on them…prob 3-5k at most for peak precision.

And toss in that rechambering /set back get you 30-40% more life at most from a barrel. There is still wear and tear towards the muzz.

What does all this have to do with the OP asking if the cracking is normal and is it causing flyers….im confused.

308s last a long time but no one is using a barrel with 8000 rounds in FTR. If you dont beat on them…prob 3-5k at most for peak precision.

And toss in that rechambering /set back get you 30-40% more life at most from a barrel. There is still wear and tear towards the muzz.
You're easily confused...and obviously haven't a clue. On the rinse and repeat cycle of of clueless talking heads...
The barrel is crap...peak precision was never there.
5000 rds beats 2000 rds in barrel life...if you desire to go there. The 308 has good barrel life, but you certainly do not have to use it, as it's not
the cool caliber...no one cares. But if you're whining about cost, of barrel replacement, you may consider it, or change hobbies, as barrel wear out is part of shooting.
If you guys would have learned something useful in your lifetime, instead of BS, like video games, you could easily fix this yourself...like changing a flat tire, for those who actually know.

You're easily confused...and obviously haven't a clue. On the rinse and repeat cycle of of clueless talking heads...
5000 rds beats 2000 rds in barrel life...if you desire to go there. The 308 has good barrel life, but you certainly do not have to use it, as it's not
the cool caliber...no one cares. But if you're whining about cost, of barrel replacement, you may consider it, or change hobbies, as barrel wear out is part of shooting.
If you guys would have learned something useful in your lifetime, instead of BS, like video games, you could easily fix this yourself...like changing a flat tire, for those who actually know.
You are pretty full of yourself aren’t you. This thread was not about you and your crazy amazing skillz. Try helping for once by not making this all about something you did that has little relation to the subject of the thread.

Yeah, thanks. 👍🏻

You never answered a question in the other thread. How do you know what PSI you're running when you post the PSI your ammo has?

I think I’m still confused…what type of gibberish just spouted from you fingers.

Where did anyone say a barrel should last forever?

The OP just asked …hey what’s this and could this be the problem.

And who said anything about cost..again you.

Add to it, im so not worried about cost I have a guy change my tire and a smith change my barrel. 😂😂😂

from previous threads it’s seems you just a bitter old dude shooting fudd cartridges 😂😂😂

I think you may have shot too much of that 45-90 and it scrambled your brains.

1705514790117.png

Reactions: msgriff and brianf
I think I’m still confused…what type of gibberish just spouted from you fingers.

Where did anyone say a barrel should last forever?

The OP just asked …hey what’s this and could this be the problem.

And who said anything about cost..again you.

Add to it, im so not worried about cost I have a guy change my tire and a smith change my barrel. 😂😂😂

from previous threads it’s seems you just a bitter old dude shooting fudd cartridges 😂😂😂
But I can chamber my own barrels, and fix my own gun problems...never used the services of a gunsmith or a factory warranty, in my life. And change my own tire .
Typical of today's incompetent whiny rug rat, "my guy".
Does he whipe you ass too?
No one except, "you" said, ,"barrels should last forever ."
It was round count, ...dipshit.

But I can chamber my own barrels, and fix my own gun problems...never used the services of a gunsmith or a factory warranty, in my life. And change my own tire .
hehehe...do you work in concrete, how much can you bench press, and how many bow kills? LOL

You're funny....

Reactions: RTH1800 and brianf
Sounds like “I’m proud to be poor “ 😂

For the original hide members…

IMG_7333.jpeg

Your just too high strung…you need to take a shot of whisky or a Xanax to calm down a bit

This is a forum for the entire shooting community not just for you to spout off

I can too.

Difference between you and me ? No one gives a shit. I know that and gladly accept that fact. And, there isn't any reason that anyone should.

Another one for the heap. I'm constantly amazed when I go look at all the wankers I've put on ignore. First time I looked, I figured it was like six people. It was forty eight ! Oops, make that forty nine. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
You never answered a question in the other thread. How do you know what PSI you're running when you post the PSI your ammo has?
What a gotcha question...
I never gave the exact pressures of any ammo, general discussion in the area of...same as everyone else.
Are you that stupid?
What psi is your ammo running? Exactly?
Every shot fired is different, factory or handload.
Obviously, most do not have expensive test lab equipment, setup in the field.
Those tools available to the public such as strain gauges and QL are only a suggestion of an approximation.
I use QL, loading manuals, and a chronograph. Compare the results with pressure signs on the cartridge case, bolt lift, & velocity. QL will give an exact pressure figure, but that is only an approximation.
No one has the exact psi pressures, as every powder burn, is not the same...its all averaged out. Average chamber pressure is...as quoted by the testing facility.

I can too.

Difference between you and me ? I know that and gladly accept the fact that no one gives a shit, nor is there any reason that they should.

Another one for the heap. I'm constantly amazed when I go look at all the wankers I've put on ignore. First time I looked, I figured it was like six people. It was forty eight ! Oops, make that forty nine. :ROFLMAO:
Good for you,
And no, I don't give a shit...and no one cares.
You are correct.

Sounds like “I’m proud to be poor “ 😂

For the original hide members…

View attachment 8325618

Your just too high strung…you need to take a shot of whisky or a Xanax to calm down a bit

This is a forum for the entire shooting community not just for you to spout off
Make some noise...

@45-90

Make some noise? Is that a boomer thing?

Did you really just say that you can compare and measure pressure signs at 80k

….Don’t get too upset with him everyone…he won’t have fingers to type with sooner or later.

Raise your hands if you can tie your shoes...we'll start there. What? No hands.
How many fingers am I holding up?
Come on, you know the answer.

Raise your hands if you can tie your shoes...we'll start there. What? No hands.
How many fingers am I holding up?
Come on, you know the answer.
I know the answer to everyone question about pressure.

You dont know what your talking about ..I’ll wait for an angry useless reply that won’t have what equipment your using to measure it.

Let’s see if you’ll try and skirt the question a 5th time on 2 threads.

Waiting…

Hold your breath and count to ten...dip stick.
If you back up about 5 posts when asked there's the answer.
If ya can't understand, that...you'll be waiting a very long time.

Hold your breath and count to ten...dip stick.
If you back up about 5 posts when asked there's the answer.
If ya can't understand, that...you'll be waiting a very long time.
Lots of talk and not much info…seems to be your MO

I wonder if that’s why you keep hiding and and just replying with useless insults that aren’t even funny.

How about reply directly to Rio if your capable of putting 2-3 sentences together.

• Haha
Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex
Lots of talk and not much info…seems to be your MO

I wonder if that’s why you keep hiding and and just replying with useless insults that aren’t even funny.

How about reply directly to Rio if your capable of putting 2-3 sentences together.

Ahem, "you're."

We're civilized people here.

• Haha
Reactions: lash and 45-90
However, I did notice these cracks that run across the lands at about 45* to the rifling. There were a handful of them within the first 3-4" of barrel. Are the cracks that run straight continuously across the lands and grooves normal? Is something in the cleaning routine potentially causing them?

@45-90 what in the retardation are you raising hell about? Above are the original questions from the OP and then your long winded response that had nothing to do with this thread what so ever.

308 wears less on barrels than 6.5 CM..... Cool story bro. WTF does that have to do with anything?

Maybe tell us about walking uphill to school back in the day. And then uphill to go back home, in knee deep snow nonetheless. If you're the real deal badass m-f'er you could just start a new thread to tell us all about it.

Cheers

You said you're running at 80k PSI in another thread......
Wrong...the hybrid cases are capable of operating at 80,000 psi according to Sig ...not me. I didn't invent them.
And they will take a lot more pressure than that...not according to me either...but obviously some amount more as a safety factor.
So brass cases "may be" running at 65,000 psi for magnums as the manufacturers state, you may get away with 70,000 psi loads in those, if you choose to reload them, with a bit more powder.
No load is exactly 65,000 or 80,000 psi its an average, safe load for a particular powder, cartridge, caliber combination. Everything is an approximation. No one knows the exact pressure of each cartridge they have fired...even measured charges very in velocity and pressure.
So if you are using brass rifle cases many will be in the 60,000 psi range max ave, according to the manufacturer cartridge specifications. if you use hybrid cases you can be in the 80,000 psi range for max average, according to the manufacturer.
Use common sense, loading manuals, a chronograph, snd Quick Load plus pressure signs to help get the powder charge start load low enough to where the first test shot is not gonna blow your face off, and slowly work up.

Just like everyone else, you'll find what's safe in your rifle. Brass or hybrid cases...shoot a few hybrid ya learn. I shoot quite a few wildcats and obsolete cartridges also, I like QL here to even though the computer numbers are exact in calculation, they are just guidelines, it keeps the start pressure in a safe area.
I've gone over this several times. Some do not like the hybrid case idea, it threatens them somehow ...so don't do it. No one cares whether you get involved with it or not.
But it's available, for those who care to give it a try.
Simple ...and you all know it.

Wrong...the hybrid cases are capable of operating at 80,000 psi according to Sig ...not me. I didn't invent them.
And they will take a lot more pressure than that...not according to me either...but obviously some amount more as a safety factor.
So brass cases "may be" running at 65,000 psi for magnums as the manufacturers state, you may get away with 70,000 psi loads in those, if you choose to reload them, with a bit more powder.
No load is exactly 65,000 or 80,000 psi its an average, safe load for a particular powder, cartridge, caliber combination. Everything is an approximation. No one knows the exact pressure of each cartridge they have fired...even measured charges very in velocity and pressure.
So if you are using brass rifle cases many will be in the 60,000 psi range max ave, according to the manufacturer cartridge specifications. if you use hybrid cases you can be in the 80,000 psi range for max average, according to the manufacturer.
Use common sense, loading manuals, a chronograph, snd Quick Load plus pressure signs to help get the powder charge start load low enough to where the first test shot is not gonna blow your face off, and slowly work up.

Just like everyone else, you'll find what's safe in your rifle. Brass or hybrid cases...shoot a few hybrid ya learn. I shoot quite a few wildcats and obsolete cartridges also, I like QL here to even though the computer numbers are exact in calculation, they are just guidelines, it keeps the start pressure in a safe area.
I've gone over this several times. Some do not like the hybrid case idea, it threatens them somehow ...so don't do it. No one cares whether you get involved with it or not.
But it's available, for those who care to give it a try.
Simple ...and you all know it.

......I literally posted a screen shot you saying you ran over 80k PSI.

So, how do you know you ran over 80k PSI? I'm extremely familiar with how this works and how to measure it. So, we don't need some long winded explanation on how pressure works. Just an answer to the question.

If you're just guessing, assuming, or using quick load....say so. Nothing wrong with that.

Do you really just say

Leading manuals… that aren’t made for 80k

Pressure signs on cases that might not show signs because because of new materials ..yet they “can take more”

Quick load which is a guiding program which is questionable in accuracy at 80k

Common sense …which is your strong point by the way

Know your action..I guess you have the material and hardness specs of the lugs and receiver

oh, and you load some old stuff

Well boys, now I’ve heard it all

Call Litz , tell him I have a excellent candidate for his ballistics lab

@45-90

I'd also like to know how much "over 80" you were and what action you were using.

View attachment 8325773
Actions...using more than one...cause I'm totally into it. And the hybrid 308 smokes the 6.5 CM badly..."Hugely"... just like the 277 Fury ...so back to the hybrid cases to bring the 6.5 CM up to speed...so I can start liking the 6.5 CM again. Now it's really zippy.
Totally cool, huh..

Actions...using more than one...cause I'm totally into it. And the hybrid 308 smokes the 6.5 CM badly..."Hugely"... just like the 277 Fury ...so back to the hybrid cases to bring the 6.5 CM up to speed...so I can start liking the 6.5 CM again. Now it's really zippy.
Totally cool, huh..

Which actions? Are they capable of handling the extra bolt thrust? If so, how did you know before? Did you get a spec from the manufacturer? Make the action yourself?

Also, still waiting on answers for how you knew you were over 80k, and how much over 80k?

You opened this can going around to all the threads posting about it without it being the topic. So, let's get to it.

Reactions: msgriff
Which actions? Are they capable of handling the extra bolt thrust? If so, how did you know before? Did you get a spec from the manufacturer? Make the action yourself?

Also, still waiting on answers for how you knew you were over 80k, and how much over 80k?

You opened this can going around to all the threads posting about it without it being the topic. So, let's get to it.
If he comes back with anything other than matching velocity with same bullet and powder as factory we know he’s full of BS

Add to it factory ammo uses blends of powders do you can never truly match

So neck to several posts who..he has good intentions and seems to know something.

But trusting his approximation of pressures…I have a bridge to see you.

I’m out

......I literally posted a screen shot you saying you ran over 80k PSI.

So, how do you know you ran over 80k PSI? I'm extremely familiar with how this works and how to measure it. So, we don't need some long winded explanation on how pressure works. Just an answer to the question.

If you're just guessing, assuming, or using quick load....say so. Nothing wrong with that.
Wrong, you know its a general statement Still taking about hybrid cases, where on occasion the pressure was a bit too high for my liking and the plus tells ya so...like saying, when I blew the primer the pressure in my brass case was atl least 70,000 psi...ya did not measure it...it's a statement of too much pressure for the case.
you don't like hybrid cases do use them...if they succeed a new line of improved cartridges will be available for all.
Funny how threatening a new development is to the egos of the statis quo. The 277 Furry development really beats some of the most favored cartridges, plus Sig has a bore treatment that allows 12,000 rds of life...Sig claims. It's been working in machineguns, 80,000, psi. So wouldn't it be nice if these new developments trickle down, instead of 2000 rds of barrel life you get 12,000. I'd like to test that, but that is the manufacturers statement. Its not me making those claims, or making hybrid cases , but checking to verify if it's possible. That they are for real... and the velocity gains are real.
Look it all up , check it out for yourself. Not interested, fine, it ain't for everyone, and no one cares..
Its been fun ...

Just go buy a Sig .277 bolt gun or semi auto...run the 277 hybrid factory ammo in it. Totally safe no concerns...experience it for yourself. Then all your questions will be answered...simple. no one cares, I'll be out in the woods enjoying mine.

Do you really just say

Leading manuals… that aren’t made for 80k

Pressure signs on cases that might not show signs because because of new materials ..yet they “can take more”

Quick load which is a guiding program which is questionable in accuracy at 80k

Common sense …which is your strong point by the way

Know your action..I guess you have the material and hardness specs of the lugs and receiver

oh, and you load some old stuff

Well boys, now I’ve heard it all

Call Litz , tell him I have a excellent candidate for his ballistics lab

Ima thinkin’ we gots us another Theis here. Or perhaps even a reformed Nobody to clue us in on real world shit and stuff. Personally, I’m fascinated.

1705543034676.png

Reactions: brianf and 45-90
Okay just a little bit more...
Quick load, 277 Fury at 80,000 psi if ya want to play ..as a reference.
150 gr Nosler 2.825" 3147 fps 79,271 psi 22" barrel. With available powder, and exact numbers ...reference only. But that'd be a good hunting load in a light bolt gun, and 2925 fps on a 16" for a 150 gr is good.
It's here to stay like it or not

Attachments

• 20240117_173607.jpg
    20240117_173607.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
Okay just a little bit more...
Quick load, 277 Fury at 80,000 psi if ya want to play ..as a reference.
150 gr Nosler 2.825" 3147 fps 79,271 psi 22" barrel. With available powder, and exact numbers ...reference only. But that'd be a good hunting load in a light bolt gun, and 2925 fps on a 16" for a 150 gr is good.
It's here to stay like it or not
I’m like a moth to light..

No one is saying anything about the future of high pressure/sig ammo

It’s universally known and agreed upon that higher pressures are needed (along with accompanying components and weapon systems) to expand the current ballistic envelope.

What you don’t get and apparently never will get is;

Every post you type is derogatory and self serving. Rarely if ever do you add to the conversation and rarely if ever do you supply a useful answer to the topic.

With that obvious low hanging fruit out of the way….

Additionally, like all people on the hide who make opinionated statements as truth, the other members then want hard/verified data. Because at times those statements fly in the face of known truths.

Your post above clearly shows you do not understand that.

Again..you showed quick load while everyone even you, know quick load is just a guide and is not capable of providing actual pressure readings.

We all know 80k psi will be a great load in any cartridge (if the entire system is capable), list like we all know a 75k will be a better load compared to a sammi load.

What we don’t know is when you state that are at 80k when reloading …how you are measuring or what criteria are you using?

Because using the historical visuals with modern materials is wrong on its face, not to say purely dangerous.

But instead of saying “I think, possibly, not sure” you say it in a definitive manor that “you know”.

This is the problem, and why every thread you go one people question you and you become bitter.

Definitive statements with inconclusive data or spotty information are not well respected or received. . Especially in the hide where some members actually work for ammunition manufacturers in the RD-QA departments….not the guy loading pallets.

If you don’t understand that by now you’ll have more people putting you on ignore than people reading your posts.

And before you say you don’t care if anyone reads your posts…then why do you even type one to begin with?

Now I’m out..or I’ll try lol

I’m like a moth to light..

No one is saying anything about the future of high pressure/sig ammo

It’s universally known and agreed upon that higher pressures are needed (along with accompanying components and weapon systems) to expand the current ballistic envelope.

What you don’t get and apparently never will get is;

Every post you type is derogatory and self serving. Rarely if ever do you add to the conversation and rarely if ever do you supply a useful answer to the topic.

With that obvious low hanging fruit out of the way….

Additionally, like all people on the hide who make opinionated statements as truth, the other members then want hard/verified data. Because at times those statements fly in the face of known truths.

Your post above clearly shows you do not understand that.

Again..you showed quick load while everyone even you, know quick load is just a guide and is not capable of providing actual pressure readings.

We all know 80k psi will be a great load in any cartridge (if the entire system is capable), list like we all know a 75k will be a better load compared to a sammi load.

What we don’t know is when you state that are at 80k when reloading …how you are measuring or what criteria are you using?

Because using the historical visuals with modern materials is wrong on its face, not to say purely dangerous.

But instead of saying “I think, possibly, not sure” you say it in a definitive manor that “you know”.

This is the problem, and why every thread you go one people question you and you become bitter.

Definitive statements with inconclusive data or spotty information are not well respected or received. . Especially in the hide where some members actually work for ammunition manufacturers in the RD-QA departments….not the guy loading pallets.

If you don’t understand that by now you’ll have more people putting you on ignore than people reading your posts.

And before you say you don’t care if anyone reads your posts…then why do you even type one to begin with?

Now I’m out..or I’ll
A long post to just say goodbye...sore looser.
It's been fun, so many endearing comments.
None so blind, as those who will not see.