• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fire Forming - 50DTC EDM for my M96 Windrunner.

jrivera1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2010
New York City
It's my first time re-loading 50DTC. I created this worksheet where I placed all the important numbers and fire forming procedures.
I am waiting for the rifle in order to get the Chamber Neck Length…

If anyone has any constructive criticism, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Fire Forming Procedures - mrkubota
Illustration - secondamendmentsupply.com

Attachments

• chamberLength.jpg
    chamberLength.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 37
  • chamberLength.pdf
    138.1 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
My constructive criticism is to listen to Ben. He knows more about loading for that cartridge than probably anyone else CONUS.

Got it.

I was planing on following his procedure on Fire Forming for 50 DTC to the letter.
The Mechanic has a good thread as well, very similar.

Thanks Dogtown

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I just formed my first batch recently and mrkubota (Ben) was a great help. I learned a lot about the process. I used AP ball and us869 and R50. You could save $ with m33 bullets and surplus powder. If you're using surplus brass deprime w a 1/8 punch and hammer. Inspect your fired brass, I had a few that failed- split necks, split in the middle, and signs of incipient case head separation.

Using new RWS brass, M33- 660gr, C35, 218gr of H50 for fire forming.

Thank you for the info FTC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've zero experience with this wildcat...

That notwithstanding, its good practice to size cases for fireforming so your bolt drags a little when locking into battery. Best off to wait until you've got the rifle in hand for this to get them sized perfectly for your chamber.

Also looks like it could benefit from some annealing before FFing to prevent splits. Maybe anneal down far enough so the shoulder material is softened up.

Of course, defer to the experts of this particular cartridge.

I've zero experience with this wildcat...

That notwithstanding, its good practice to size cases for fireforming so your bolt drags a little when locking into battery. Best off to wait until you've got the rifle in hand for this to get them sized perfectly for your chamber.

Also looks like it could benefit from some annealing before FFing to prevent splits. Maybe anneal down far enough so the shoulder material is softened up.

Of course, defer to the experts of this particular cartridge.

I haven't FL sized, trimmed or turned the necks on any of my new brass. I will definitely wait for the rifle before anything. I'm aiming for as little resizing after firing and perfect chamber fit.

I wasn't sure about the annealing part but now that you mention it, it makes a lot sense since you are sizing the 50 BMG into a 50DTC with your dies for chamber fit.

Thanks HodgdonExtreme

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk