• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fire lap and Set back

tiltonwilder

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2010
I'm going to rechamber and set the barrel back on a .308 SPS after truing the action and installing a new .250" trued recoil lug. I'm thinking of fire lapping this factory barrel before any of this work begins as it seems to me the "negative" aspect of fire lapping is moving the throat forward and this will be corrected by the set back and rechamber. Your thoughts or experiences please...

Re: Fire lap and Set back

Is there a problem with the bore or excessive copper fouling, that you want to try and firelap?

If so, my opinion is, you're going to all the work to true the action, setback the barrel...... may as well make that a new barrel. Same amount of work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If so, my opinion is, you're going to all the work to true the action, setback the barrel...... may as well make that a new barrel. Same amount of work. </div></div>

I completely agree with the above statement. If your going through that much trouble, save another month and order a new barrel. take it from a guy that spent roughly 200 buck to have a factory barrel cut down, break installed, and all the other stuff and ended up putting a new barrel on in 4 months! total waste of money!

New barrel it roughly $300 bucks and 6 weeks out.

As for the fire lapping, in-less its is copper fouling too bad or accuracy is an issue, why are you doing it? ALL reasons to get a new barrel IMHO.
Willys46

I agree with what everyone else has said re: ditching the factory barrel. While you have the rifle apart and you are going through the work to true everything up, why do you want to try to polish the turd of a factory barrel?!?! If you want the most out of your rifle, now would be a good time to step up to a quality barrel (one of many different makes/contours) better suited to an accurized rifle.

Mark from SAC recently posted about his "issues" with working over factory Remington barrels (specifically, an SPS barrel) and problems you can encounter when doing this. While obvious from Mark's post...you CAN make a factory barrel really shoot!! No argument there...but why not start with a quality replacement barrel and work from the ground up to achieve the most you can? Here is a link to the thread which is worth reading.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1978102&page=1

If the cost of a barrel blank is cause for concern then I'd suggest a different approach to a $300+ blank. The Shilen CM Match line of barrels.

Contrary to popular (but generally inexperienced) belief the CM Shilen's shoot very well and they're $160 and available at Midway.

I won't claim that they're going to shoot any better than a lapped, cut rifled, hand made blank but out of the 6 I've chambered the worst one shot 1/2 MOA routinely. For a budget build I couldn't ask for better than that.

Factory barrels can be made into something a bit closer to the status of a premium aftermarket barrel through the process of firepolishing. It's all about lapping, and whether it's done as part of production or as part of the installation (or immediately there after) is (IMHO) rather a question of semantics.

IMHO there's no other time as opportune with a factory barrel, and I believe it's a good thing to do in its initial usage period.

IMHO, the time to replace a factory barrel is when it's toast, and not before. Properly lapped and properly maintained, its lifespan is more productive, and cutting it short simply to have a premium barrel is just a waste of what could, with good lapping and maitenance, be useful shooting.

Greg