• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fire resistant closet...

Billyboy

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2008
E. TN
What is there to be gained by building a "closet" in which to house my Cannon safe? If it were constructed of non-flamable material such as concrete backer board and finished with fire-retardant sheetrock and a good steel door with a couple of deadbolts? In addition to a touch more security, would it actually increase the chance of the safe contents living through a fire?

Re: Fire resistant closet...

Billyboy- great question (see, it's possible to address a question without putting the "asker" down). If you are thinking about doing something like this you should look up UL rated wall, ceiling, and floor construction systems.

Many have said here that the location of the safe is just about as important as the fire resistance of the enclosure. As in, put it in your basement along the end wall because if it's in the center and the floors cave in on it it'll have more fuel around it.

My take (architect) is it would be good to build a closet around the safe and would advise using a known rated system (couple layers of sheetrock, offsetting joints, and providing an airspace around the safe. You might want to consider a pair of doors if the safe is wide and you ever want to get it in/out later. Those doors should be UL rated too, but you could get away with steel if you are tapped out. Using intumescent paint on the walls would help too.

Good luck.

I'll Tell you that Commercial Hollow Metal Doors with Poly core are only rated 3 hours along the HM frame. I know some venders Such As Curries (in TN) make other rated doors doors but they are expensives.

Good advice, thanks! I'm working with a single floor rancher home with a crawlspace. At some point I plan an addition and will build a real vault with concrete/rebar and a good door but that is a few years down the road. My safe is 72x40x28".