• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fire starter

Makinchips208

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2021
Idaho
Pyromaniacs!
Has anyone been successful at starting a friction fire? Bow drill, hand drill, plow board, cotton ball between two planks, etc. etc.
Not meaning flint or magnesium/ferro rod. That’s easy.

And I carry a lighter 100% of the time, bic of course, and have back up lighters, so I’m always ready to light something up. But all the stupid “influencers” showing friction fires for survival? I ain’t buying it.

Unless there is something someone knows that I don’t?

Reactions: Aftermath
I have maybe a half dozen times about 45 years ago, using a bow drill with a flywheel. It is VERY difficult. I think if anything is damp, you won't be successful.
When I was out and about there in Idaho, if I planned to stray more than a mile from the rig, I kept both commercial easy start firestarters and raw cotton balls lightly dipped in vaseline to ignite with a butane lighter. Also 4 little candles that were originally for a candle lantern I used to have. I kept breaking the globe so I quit carrying it. The candles will burn for about 8 hours each. I carried other shit, too. Like toilet paper. I keep that same bag in my Jeep and I have the same bags in my 2 pickups at all times.
Fuck rubbing sticks together.

Yeah the cotton ball with Vaseline lights easy, as does some little things called “fire plugs” when using ferro rod.

I tried this 10 times and got smoke but no fire, cotton ball, spread out with some ash sprinkled, roll it up, then press it between two flat blocks and rub it vigorously,
Yeah, smoke but no fire.

I’ve done wood friction, actual flint out of a creek and a pocket knife steel. I’ve done every imaginable way to start a fire you can think of, and I have truly found the easiest way is magnesium and acid other than using my mapp gas torch. If you want fun and easy, pour some brake fluid on pool chlorine

Reactions: crackerbrown
This is how jailbirds do it:

And the powers that think they are wants to ban weapons from society??? All they are going to do is start a civilian arms development race and see weaponry evolve even faster. Battery fired black powder pistols (China), pistol repeating crossbows like the AR6 with powerstroke efficient enough to kill hogs at 15 yards, and the early handheld railguns capable of driving a nail through a car door... Those are all responses to gun control laws... 😂

I’ve done a bow drill fire. Once. If I had to rely on that for warmth, I suppose the exertion would have to suffice.

9v and 4O steel wool works well.

So does a cotton ball between a ferro rod and a striker.

Fat wood shavings will light from a ferro rod.

Friction << Ferro rod < matches << full lighter << Girl Scout water

Prepare 3x more material than you think you need before you start making fire. Do that 3x, then start making fire.

Pyromaniacs!
Has anyone been successful at starting a friction fire? Bow drill, hand drill, plow board, cotton ball between two planks, etc. etc.

And I carry a lighter 100% of the time, bic of course, and have back up lighters, so I’m always ready to light something up. But all the stupid “influencers” showing friction fires for survival? I ain’t buying it.

Living in Bush Alaska, flying around in the little airplanes, snowmachining up frozen rivers and across lakes, boating when there is liquid in them....
My thought about a survival "bag" was that it needed to be on my person. 22 Ruger Mark 2 in a shoulder holster, spare mag, a 50 round box, lighters in both front pockets, small knife in each front pocket, Leatherman and a real knife, firestarters in a pocket, extra pair of socks, small flashlight, Lifestraw, couple cans of sardines, some jolly ranchers, some gum, toilet paper, some 550 cord, some tape, big heavy duty trash bag, pocket mylar blanket, VHF radio, other shit. I figured that if the plane went down, I might not be able to get to the stuff. Or the machine went through the ice with the sled, all the shit with it. If I didn't have it ON ME, I didn't have it at all.

Living in Bush Alaska, flying around in the little airplanes, snowmachining up frozen rivers and across lakes, boating when there is liquid in them....
My thought about a survival "bag" was that it needed to be on my person. 22 Ruger Mark 2 in a shoulder holster, spare mag, a 50 round box, lighters in both front pockets, small knife in each front pocket, Leatherman and a real knife, firestarters in a pocket, extra pair of socks, small flashlight, Lifestraw, couple cans of sardines, some jolly ranchers, some gum, toilet paper, some 550 cord, some tape, big heavy duty trash bag, pocket mylar blanket, VHF radio, other shit. I figured that if the plane went down, I might not be able to get to the stuff. Or the machine went through the ice with the sled, all the shit with it. If I didn't have it ON ME, I didn't have it at all.
Add a pair of silk long underwear (top and bottom) wrapped in a plastic bag.. Theyre really light and small and provide a high warmth to weight ration. Being so light they will dry quickly if needed.

Here is the newest megnesium/ferro rod kit. It works really good! Its the backup to my backup lighter for my backup lighter.
Purefire Tactical dot com

561814FA-15F4-4578-A034-6A5C9D37E90E.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys! I really wanted friction fire to work but never found success (impatience maybe?). I was hoping someone had a trick. I’m just a failure at it I guess. 🙁 oh well.

So, here is my pocket fire kit.
A bic lighter,
String to block under the fuel button,
Two bands of bike tube twisted around the lighter body as starter material (cheap, effective, impervious to moisture).
E7151D7A-4E21-4192-89F3-00941B51E0ED.jpeg

Bow drill is pretty easy if you use kiln dried softwood, like cedar. Not what you’d find in the woods but good for a proof of concept demonstration.

I’d hate to try it for real in the woods with my core temp on the line.

I used to be very proficient at the bow drill method. It takes lots of practice with the correct material that has been worked nicely to maximize your chances. It's worth doing to know that you can but unless you are living for months in the desert I'd just recommend redundancy with several bic lighters

We called it 'Fat Wood'. It's where a pine tree collects a lot of sap. It lights easily. so called 'lighter wood or knot'.
Oh I see, like the chunk of wood in my pic at post 16? I didn’t know that’s what that was called.

Reactions: Maggot
Center of a pine tree where sap has saturated and rest of tree has rotted away. Also the stump is a good source. Fat litter, liter knot, pine litter, what it's called in deep south. Stuff works really good. You know you have a really good piece when you cut into it and smell it immediately. Does not take much to get burning

I’ve done tons of friction fires.

Like most thing it’s about the prep of materials but even more so because you are creating almost zero heat.

There is no best because it depends on the wood available.

I’ve spend hours screwing around over weekends just trying different types of friction. Always a problem

One time I went through both shoelaces on a bow drill…that sucked. Went in the house to get rope lol

If you really need to start a fire with no ignition source ..you need to practice all the time. And watch the weather. If it’s been moist for a few days your better off using time to build a shelter…because starting a friction after a few days of rain..Im-fucking-possible

If looking to have a little fun with Vaseline or home made fuel sources

Get extra heavy tampons

Dip the bottom half in liquified Vaseline

Then dip the whole thing in candle wax

Open it up and rough it up

It’s waterproof

has dry cotton to take a spark

Has Vaseline to get some heat going

Then that melts the wax and you have a real flame that burns a few minutes

Did it with my son after watching some survival stuff online years ago

Works very very well

Used to be a guy on here called TresMon. Good dude, shot with him a bit.
I dont know what ever came of him but he could rub sticks together and make it look easy.
Its said that Bear Grylls has to call Les Stroud for directions out of the wilderness.
They both have to call Tres Mon when they get in a jam.
Tres was the real deal.

Center of a pine tree where sap has saturated and rest of tree has rotted away. Also the stump is a good source. Fat litter, liter knot, pine litter, what it's called in deep south. Stuff works really good. You know you have a really good piece when you cut into it and smell it immediately. Does not take much to get burning
Not much at all, burns like an old tire.
If you guys don't have it locally available, get a small box of it off of Amazon.

Birch bark will ignite extremely easily, burns fast and hot.
And here in Florida we have the sabal palm or also called the cabbage palm. The dry and brown frawns are simply the best kindling around. Nothing better.
I have a saying, I could burn down the city of Chicago with one sabal palm frawn.
The other palms do not work even remotely close to as well as the sabal

Not much at all, burns like an old tire.
If you guys don't have it locally available, get a small box of it off of Amazon.

Or gimme a holler. I have a pile of the stuff on my place.
Woods around here are full of old rotten stumps. The stump rots and leaves behind the good stuff.
I say it burns like gasoline. Its highly flamable.

I’ve done tons of friction fires.

Like most thing it’s about the prep of materials but even more so because you are creating almost zero heat.

There is no best because it depends on the wood available.

I’ve spend hours screwing around over weekends just trying different types of friction. Always a problem

One time I went through both shoelaces on a bow drill…that sucked. Went in the house to get rope lol

If you really need to start a fire with no ignition source ..you need to practice all the time. And watch the weather. If it’s been moist for a few days your better off using time to build a shelter…because starting a friction after a few days of rain..Im-fucking-possible

If looking to have a little fun with Vaseline or home made fuel sources

Get extra heavy tampons

Dip the bottom half in liquified Vaseline

Then dip the whole thing in candle wax

Open it up and rough it up

It’s waterproof

has dry cotton to take a spark

Has Vaseline to get some heat going

Then that melts the wax and you have a real flame that burns a few minutes

Did it with my son after watching some survival stuff online years ago

Works very very well
What region? I’m in Idaho, and usually in the mountains. Along the rivers there is usually drift wood, but same moisture problems, unless it’s august.
I guess that’s the trick is finding the right combo of woods?

Douglas Meyer, wrote “Native American blowguns”, he said the tribes in the pnw didn’t use bow drill. He didn’t say what they did use, I’m assuming some flint or pyrite stone of some sort? Maybe hand drill?

But yeah the effort alone would warm a guy up.

Reactions: brianf

I couldn’t get this to work, but I didn’t stop and wait like he did. I’ll try that.
I doubt it would be reliable on a cold rainy night, but I’ll try again. For science.

Thats pretty wild. You've got to wonder how somebody discovered that?
I’m the video he says it was discovered by prisoners in pow camps. I’m sure one of them knew it from somewhere previous to that?

But it’s along the lines of this next,

This is how jailbirds do it:

And the powers that think they are wants to ban weapons from society??? All they are going to do is start a civilian arms development race and see weaponry evolve even faster. Battery fired black powder pistols (China), pistol repeating crossbows like the AR6 with powerstroke efficient enough to kill hogs at 15 yards, and the early handheld railguns capable of driving a nail through a car door... Those are all responses to gun control laws... 😂

jailbirds can be amazingly crafty and creative. To bad they couldn’t channel that toward good for others.
I’m sure adversity and necessity has fostered a ton of inventions throughout history.

Pyromaniacs!

I have. Bow drill. Part of the trick is to use a softer wood as the base that creates the charcoal. Must be super dry. The straighter to dowel the better - less wobble, more control, less of the whole assembly flying part at the absolutely wrong moment. Placing some body weight on the top swivel increases friction. Tinder must be very dry and thin - the more frayed the better. IOW, everything works together to produce the result, not just getting one part right. As others have said, carry lighters.

I couldn’t get this to work, but I didn’t stop and wait like he did. I’ll try that.
I doubt it would be reliable on a cold rainy night, but I’ll try again. For science.

I’m the video he says it was discovered by prisoners in pow camps. I’m sure one of them knew it from somewhere previous to that?

But it’s along the lines of this next,

jailbirds can be amazingly crafty and creative. To bad they couldn’t channel that toward good for others.
I’m sure adversity and necessity has fostered a ton of inventions throughout history.
I've thought that for a long time. If you're not bright enough to make it squarely, what makes you think you're bright enough to get it by crook. Maybe the question is redundant? Most get caught, so where's the gain?

I just posted a thread about the TSA 'Director' getting nailed for scamming an old person. Put her name on the document.😴

• Wow
Reactions: Makinchips208
What region? I’m in Idaho, and usually in the mountains. Along the rivers there is usually drift wood, but same moisture problems, unless it’s august.
I guess that’s the trick is finding the right combo of woods?

Douglas Meyer, wrote “Native American blowguns”, he said the tribes in the pnw didn’t use bow drill. He didn’t say what they did use, I’m assuming some flint or pyrite stone of some sort? Maybe hand drill?

But yeah the effort alone would warm a guy up.
New York

One time I was trying to light something playing around.

And I was trying so hard fucking sweat dripped on the wood there I was making friction.

I just went inside lol

There are three (maybe 4) tricks. If you don't get them right you are going to have frustrations. If you do get them right you will have fire immediately.
A. The first is having a very round and cylindrical spindle. The more it looks like a bought dowel the better. The less lateral movement the better. Whittling the end to fit your divot well will make fire faster, but it doesn't matter that much.
B. The second is having whatever you use for your bow string having friction of its own. Shoelaces or string/rope will work, but it makes it ten times as difficult. Slick, ploy rope like paracord is the worst. If you don't have to make a turn around your spindle to get it to spin you are in the right neighborhood. Surgical tubing I've found is far and away the best, and with a very smooth and cylindrical spindle you don't even need a turn on your spindle, but can just run it directly. What you use for a bow is unimportant as long as it flexes, keeps tension, and doesn't break.
C. The third (which I see people fuck up all the time) is cutting a notch on your fireboard so you can get air into your hot divot. Cut it all the way from top to bottom so that even the bottom of the spindle gets air. Otherwise you'll generate heat and get a black spot on the board, but the wood dust you create won't have enough oxygen to actually get an ember. I've seen many people easily create enough heat and friction but can't get a good ember because no notch in the divot on their board gets no air to it and they're smothering the ember as they create it. Most people get to this point, get frustrated and quit. The notch in the board is really critical. You can overcome the others through elbow grease, but you must have the notch or no ember.
You could add fourth of wood selection. Most any will work, but a very hard spindle and a very soft board makes things go a lot faster.

If I do these three things I can generally get an ember fast. I mean three pulls of a long bow and I've got an ember. I've even gotten one this way with no bow, though it takes more time, is fatiguing, and would be much more difficult with cold hands.

Prepare everything for success before you start. Have your ball of fuel ready to take the ember right next to your board before you start, and have your fire built with a hole underneath so you can insert your ball instantly.

You can fool with all sorts of fuels and fire aids (soaked cotton, paraffin-soaked cardboard egg carton, char cloth, fuel pellets, etc. they all work), but it's not necessary. A small piece of twine frayed into a ball of okum with your fingers will readily catch a spark, and it's not wet or messy or a hassle to carry. I usually just wrap a couple feet of twine around my fire making stuff, I have enough fuel for twenty fires, and don't need an extra box of stuff.

The truth of the matter is that I have just about everything discussed, and more stuff (fire piston, blast matches, etc.) in a micro pelican. I just find it fun to mess with it when camping. If I fell through the ice or something I have small bags of magnesium shavings, and a plasma lighter. That shit burns like the sun and will light wet fuel if you use enough.

Probably all of us have a bottle of Ronson lighter fluid in our field bags to flush out dusty actions. Nothing wrong with white man fire in a pinch either! I think the key is to find good fuel while you're suffering and before you begin trying to start a fire. Trying to start a fire before everything is situated and ready to go, just because you're cold and freezing, is bad juju. Set yourself up for success.
1704477396030.png

There are three (maybe 4) tricks. If you don't get them right you are going to have frustrations. If you do get them right you will have fire immediately.
A. The first is having a very round and cylindrical spindle. The more it looks like a bought dowel the better. The less lateral movement the better. Whittling the end to fit your divot well will make fire faster, but it doesn't matter that much.
B. The second is having whatever you use for your bow string having friction of its own. Shoelaces or string/rope will work, but it makes it ten times as difficult. Slick, ploy rope like paracord is the worst. If you don't have to make a turn around your spindle to get it to spin you are in the right neighborhood. Surgical tubing I've found is far and away the best, and with a very smooth and cylindrical spindle you don't even need a turn on your spindle, but can just run it directly. What you use for a bow is unimportant as long as it flexes, keeps tension, and doesn't break.
C. The third (which I see people fuck up all the time) is cutting a notch on your fireboard so you can get air into your hot divot. Cut it all the way from top to bottom so that even the bottom of the spindle gets air. Otherwise you'll generate heat and get a black spot on the board, but the wood dust you create won't have enough oxygen to actually get an ember. I've seen many people easily create enough heat and friction but can't get a good ember because no notch in the divot on their board gets no air to it and they're smothering the ember as they create it. Most people get to this point, get frustrated and quit. The notch in the board is really critical. You can overcome the others through elbow grease, but you must have the notch or no ember.
You could add fourth of wood selection. Most any will work, but a very hard spindle and a very soft board makes things go a lot faster.

If I do these three things I can generally get an ember fast. I mean three pulls of a long bow and I've got an ember. I've even gotten one this way with no bow, though it takes more time, is fatiguing, and would be much more difficult with cold hands.

Prepare everything for success before you start. Have your ball of fuel ready to take the ember right next to your board before you start, and have your fire built with a hole underneath so you can insert your ball instantly.

You can fool with all sorts of fuels and fire aids (soaked cotton, paraffin-soaked cardboard egg carton, char cloth, fuel pellets, etc. they all work), but it's not necessary. A small piece of twine frayed into a ball of okum with your fingers will readily catch a spark, and it's not wet or messy or a hassle to carry. I usually just wrap a couple feet of twine around my fire making stuff, I have enough fuel for twenty fires, and don't need an extra box of stuff.

The truth of the matter is that I have just about everything discussed, and more stuff (fire piston, blast matches, etc.) in a micro pelican. I just find it fun to mess with it when camping. If I fell through the ice or something I have small bags of magnesium shavings, and a plasma lighter. That shit burns like the sun and will light wet fuel if you use enough.

Probably all of us have a bottle of Ronson lighter fluid in our field bags to flush out dusty actions. Nothing wrong with white man fire in a pinch either! I think the key is to find good fuel while you're suffering and before you begin trying to start a fire. Trying to start a fire before everything is situated and ready to go, just because you're cold and freezing, is bad juju. Set yourself up for success.
View attachment 8314988
Beautiful! Awesome post! Thanks! I prepare, with multiple redundancy, but I love fire and whether I use it or not, I like the idea of friction fire. I’ll try these tips.