• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Firearm Finishes....What is your preference and why?

Pablo The Great

Sailing The Seas of Cheese
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2023
Florida, United States
Recently purchased a mcmillan painted stock. It was used and has some flaking issues. I would like to refinish the entire rifle package. Would like to hear from those who did the same. Cerakote, custom painting or other "professional" finishes. Please let me know what you chose, why you chose it and what has your experience been. pics of the finished product would be great.

Cerakote is probably the only professional product you're going to apply to the entire rifle. And you're probably looking at about 600 or so to do it. Give or take 30% If this isn't a rifle you want to spend that money on you can just Krylon it. The middle of the road option that I suspect a lot of people do is to buy a nice custom action that is already nitrided or DLCd, pay $250 -400 to have your chassis or stock professionally cerakoted and then paint your barrels with the air cure Duracoat, Cerakote C products, or Brownells branded Alumahyde. Barrels are consumables for the most part and aren't worth painting unless it's a hunting rifle that won't see enough rounds to die.

Recently purchased a mcmillan painted stock. It was used and has some flaking issues. I would like to refinish the entire rifle package. Would like to hear from those who did the same. Cerakote, custom painting or other "professional" finishes. Please let me know what you chose, why you chose it and what has your experience been. pics of the finished product would be great.
. I have coated many firearms and stocks. I personally would not use a rattle can on any metal parts I’d only use cerakote but I’ve always been curious as to how the alumahide works.. never seen it used nor used myself. Cerakote is pretty easily applied if you have a small compressor. Proper spray gun can be purchased at harbor freight for less than $20 and I’ve used mine for (2) years w no issues.. stocks can be coated with about anything as long as the primer used is of quality and you apply a quality matte clear over top.
IMG_1453.jpeg
IMG_1164.jpeg
IMG_1180.jpeg
IMG_2101.jpeg
IMG_2042.jpeg
IMG_2041.jpeg
IMG_2043.jpeg

Top. Christensen TFM I bought here didn’t like the paint on it stripped sponged and cleared
2nd fiberglass stock I repaired for an accurate shooter member and stippled grip and forensic then coated
3rd stock I coated
4th smokeless muzzleloader I cerakoted.
And this bottom one just another stock I done.
IMG_1311.jpeg

Reactions: Pablo The Great
Nice work. Thanks for sharing!
10-4.. I hunt all of my rifles pretty hard.. and all has held up.. I typically use Nason in rattle van for primer (found in most Napa stores) and believe it or not, the krylon clear works wonders.. I’ll post a couple pics of some of the rattle cans. Primer paint clear webbing etc
The sample bottles of cerakote will do 3 rifles and 3 hand guns

Reactions: Pablo The Great