• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Firearm insurance?

Diver160651

Who cares
Minuteman
  • Feb 7, 2013
    La Honda
    Anyone have a good agent and a reputable easy to work with company/agent recommendation?

Thanks in advance

Watching. I was looking at gun and trophy recently too. I was checking at gunandtrophy.com

Try your current bank/insurance company. I have a specific rider via USAA that covers value personal property outside normal HHG. So jewelry, artwork, firearms, computers. Everything on this rider is covered regardless of location and/or who currently possesses the item (i.e., in the middle of a move lets say).

Try your current bank/insurance company. I have a specific rider via USAA that covers value personal property outside normal HHG. So jewelry, artwork, firearms, computers. Everything on this rider is covered regardless of location and/or who currently possesses the item (i.e., in the middle of a move lets say).

Have the same thing. Riders on guns and wife’s ring.

Mine is Auto Owners

Never had to make a claim but it’s covered for fire, burglary etc

I considered a rider, but my homeowners policy wanted the items scheduled and I didn't really like that. With Collectibles, only items with a individual value of 20 thousand + needed itemizing and no one piece I covered met that criteria. Although that's a great place to start.

Reactions: Defender3
    I considered a rider, but my homeowners policy wanted the items scheduled and I didn't really like that. With Collectibles, only items with a individual value of 20 thousand + needed itemizing and no one piece I covered met that criteria. Although that's a great place to start.

Mine is like that (I think) Gun make, serial number, scope etc. Kinda a pain when I first got it but not anymore as I just remove or add items as needed. Most stuff I buy from px here but insure at full price. Covers my suppressors as well. Not uncommon to go to the range with $20k + in guns in the truck.

I did the math and I’d need to pay for the insurance until I’m about 130 yr old or something like that before I’d have been further ahead to just stash the money in a sock drawer to replace the guns.

No way I could afford to replace even 1/2 my items if my house burnt today so it’s nice to have as peace of mind. I do have them in safes but not sure how a safe laying in the basement drowning in water needing a locksmith to open would fair with the contents.

Last edited:
    Reactions: M8541Reaper
    Eastern insurance. I have $50k insurance without having to give them a list. It’s something like up to 5k of that can be used for loading equipment and ammo. It’s under $150/yr.

Just have to produce a police report for stolen goods or whatever type of accidental/fire report. For theft, it has to be forced entry. So, just make sure your doors are locked wherever the rifles are.

I have armscare plus, I haven’t ever had to make a claim so I can’t testify to their service after loss but they are friendly enough when I pay them every year.

The fires killed the ability fo me to add a rider. I am going to start looking at some of the recommendation. I also was on the trophy page but it looked a less than professional.

It’s cheaper that you’d think. If you rent you can put it on renters insurance. When I was renting I got $150,000 for $200 a year. There’s a lot of companies that can insure your stuff

Much like you, I pre-scout first. But there is a lot of info you need that is NOT provided by google earth. Not all BLM is ok to target shoot on. Some will have county ordinances that superseded BLM stuff. BLM also has some funky rules about not shooting over non-BLM or square hoping.

The attached PDF was actually done about 7 years ago and was hastily put together for someone asking for help. If you click on the attached it should download automatically.
    It’s cheaper that you’d think. If you rent you can put it on renters insurance. When I was renting I got $150,000 for $200 a year. There’s a lot of companies that can insure your stuff
    I have a rider on the homeowner's policy.

Guys, I can not get a "rider". I can NOT get homeowners/renter or whatever insurance. I can on my Wyoming house and the guns in WY; but not here in my zip code 94020. Over 2 million acres burned or are still burning and I am close enough that we were evacuated and insurance is NOT taking any new applications or modifications. I need a stand-alone policy, so far nobody on the list has answered their phones.

Someone mentioned going to the range with 20k in gear. It is not hard when a single match gun starts running up towards 10K..

2 images from about the same time today.
    This from La Hond
    la Homda 10am.jpg
    --
    My son sent this from the house in Wyoming
    wyoming.jpg

Reactions: EN2722
    Collectables or Eastern are the two big names. Prices and coverage is about the same. They'll cover any amount you want, including optics, reloading, gear. Usually no list as long as no one item is crazy expensive. They both cover big collections, some of which travel. Should be able to get coverage even when Homeowners won't.

Sorry to hear that. It will most likely be difficult to find coverage in the midst of a active fire if they see the location. I hope you find something that works out for you.

A couple years ago I thought about changing my insurance when named storm deductibles went up again. Found out that a: my insurance was the lowest price around and b: my company won't insure me again if I leave because we are too close to the ocean to get a new policy.

My firearm rider needs updated for amount of coverage (or I need to sell some firearms) Reloading equipmemt is part of homeowners.

If I take my centerfire and vudoo to range, plus my spotting/ranging tripod setup and kestrel......replacement cost:

rrs: 900
    Binos: 2200
    LRF: 1700
    Centerfire rig: $8k
    Vudoo: $7500
    Kestrel: $600

I’m sure a paid a little less for all of it. But if it’s stolen or lost to an accident, I’m looking at over $20k to get it all back the fastest way by paying retail for new.

Toss a backup rig or my AI, now it’s almost $30k

I also am a USAA member of almost 40 years. When I enquired last (several years ago) the only way guns were covered on a rider was if declared and you had to provide all the serial numbers.... decided I would pass at the time being that I felt giving them serial numbers before a loss was too invasive. Has this changed?

Eastern insurance. I have $50k insurance without having to give them a list. It’s something like up to 5k of that can be used for loading equipment and ammo. It’s under $150/yr.

Just have to produce a police report for stolen goods or whatever type of accidental/fire report. For theft, it has to be forced entry. So, just make sure your doors are locked wherever the rifles are.

Just curious if you have ever filed a claim and how it went. USAA has spoiled me in that regard on issues not pertaining to guns.

Just curious if you have ever filed a claim and how it went. USAA has spoiled me in that regard on issues not pertaining to guns.

I have not. But haven’t read any bad reviews.

I also am a USAA member of almost 40 years. When I enquired last (several years ago) the only way guns were covered on a rider was if declared and you had to provide all the serial numbers.... decided I would pass at the time being that I felt giving them serial numbers before a loss was too invasive. Has this changed?

Correct, that is still their practice.

Hopefully, someone will answer the phones tomorrow. I live in a fairly isolated safe community, but there are always tweakers, etc. Being evacuated, really opened up my eyes to needing insurance, not so much for fire, but with my 18' trailer loaded with rifles etc. in front of the Hyatt or whatever for 2 weeks!

Reactions: ACard
    Hopefully, someone will answer the phones tomorrow. I live in a fairly isolated safe community, but there are always tweakers, etc. Being evacuated, really opened up my eyes to needing insurance, not so much for fire, but with my 18' trailer loaded with rifles etc. in front of the Hyatt or whatever for 2 weeks!

Good luck and stay safe!

Lot of good info here, thanks everyone. I’ve been meaning to get firearm insurance for the arsenal

USAA is more expensive. About $100K is around $1100/yr but that covers anything from losing to stolen ect. I have already had one claim and from time I submitted claim to money in my account was 2 days $4500.

I would be highly skeptical. Not all Insurance is the equal and if it sounds too good to be true, it is.

You should be paying about 1% annual to insure these items.

NO they haven't, USAA asks for all numbers.

USAA is more expensive. About $100K is around $1100/yr but that covers anything from losing to stolen ect. I have already had one claim and from time I submitted claim to money in my account was 2 days $4500.

I would be highly skeptical. Not all Insurance is the equal and if it sounds too good to be true, it is.

If it was a problem, there would be plenty of bad reviews out there.

Not to mention, you’re comparing a police that covers loss and such vs one that only covers thefts and disaster type events.

Reactions: Diver160651
    I have the same rider for firearms on my homeowners policy. I use an independent agent in my state and move around yearly based on price. It is pretty seamless.

I use Eastern Insurance. Far less than a homeowner rider and they cover firearms, ammo, and reloading equipment.

My main reason for going to them is they also cover items when away from home (matches, etc) and cover accidental damage.

This matches up with my current premiums at USAA as well.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
    Never had to file a claim (thankfully) but we’re happy with USAA. If there comes a time that we need to do so, I feel confident that they’ll do right by us. I’ll second the post mentioning how you should be cautious with a lot of the ones that sound too good. 2A friendly or not, insurance companies are always looking for ways to not pay out. With a list on record and a police report, there’s really no wiggle room for them to not pay (providing you’ve read the fine print and meet the reqs).
    There’s no way I could afford to replace our stuff without a solid policy.

I may have to make the change from SF to Eastern. Do you have the name of a specific broker of just call and speak with the answering agent?

Reactions: C_Mack
    Laura Sewall CIC, CISR

Account Manager II

Historic Firearms Insurance Dept.
    Eastern Insurance Group

933 Webster Street, Marshfield, MA 02050

Office: 800-545-9326 Fax: 508-652-4392

[email protected]

+1 for Eastern. Don’t need to declare any individual item under $10k and $45k coverage for $150 annual. Includes $5k ammo and $5k reloading equipment. You can purchase more coverage for ammo and reloading equipment if needed.

Laura Sewall CIC, CISR

Account Manager II

Historic Firearms Insurance Dept.
    Eastern Insurance Group

933 Webster Street, Marshfield, MA 02050

Office: 800-545-9326 Fax: 508-652-4392

[email protected]

+1 for Eastern. Don’t need to declare any individual item under $10k and $45k coverage for $150 annual. Includes $5k ammo and $5k reloading equipment. You can purchase more coverage for ammo and reloading equipment if needed.
    Need way more -- talked to her on the phone, so far promising, but my area is still blacklisted. You'd think I'm Chicago instead of the forest.

@Diver160651 do storage companies offer insurance, load your safe there until the fire situation settles and you can get a policy you are comfortable with?

It really depends on your circumstances...we have several businesses with overlapping umbrella policies that cover everything...if you are young and not self employed the options get more expensive. I wouldn't plan on using the insurance at any rate because in the current climate you may not be able to replace what you have.

I know this feeling and it sucks. My house flooded once about 5 years ago (like 4 feet deep lol) and I had to empty out all of my safes and load everything into vehicles and head to a hotel. The most ghetto hotel I've ever been to (everything was sold out). Almost immediately guys were walking past the vehicles eyeballing them as if they were going to try and break in. They must have caught a glimpse of something when we were unloading and let's just say they were not discrete at all. About an hour after we arrived I realized there was no way in hell we could leave anything in the vehicles.. so we went down and grabbed everything out of the vehicles and brought them into the room.. Luckily it was only one night and then we were able to get in with family.

I have 50k covered under my HOI and they required a list of serial numbers over I think 10k or 20k. Its a royal PITA and they get nice and confused once you start talking about big ticket items that aren't firearms. I might check into Eastern as mentioned a couple of times here.. sounds like they might be a bit cheaper than I'm paying too.

Reactions: Diver160651
    @Diver160651 do storage companies offer insurance, load your safe there until the fire situation settles and you can get a policy you are comfortable with?

Sean,
    I don't know, but today I was told Eastern will insure me.

All,
    The great part is, that while Eastern's 100K policy + supplemental on reloading gear will not cover me in a total loss situation, it will cover my gear in both my Wyoming house and here in CA under the same policy at no additional cost. I can not see any possible way that I would have a total loss at both places, and in actuality probably not here in CA as I have a go trailer locked and loaded (literarily). 100K would get me back in the game, but the most likely event would be a loss during travel to a match, hunting, or anything else that involves long periods in locked vehicles.

I think if more people added up, the gunsmithing, FFL, and every single part, they might be surprised what they have invested. As I was telling Sean and about 12 of us in our silly text group last night, I was blown away with just the $ investment on my current spotting optics gear I have sitting around.

My premium looks to be about $350. This has been a great thread and you guys all have been very helpful.

Sean,
    I don't know, but today I was told Eastern will insure me.

All,
    The great part is, that while Eastern's 100K policy + supplemental on reloading gear will not cover me in a total loss situation, it will cover my gear in both my Wyoming house and here in CA under the same policy at no additional cost. I can not see any possible way that I would have a total loss at both places, and in actuality probably not here in CA as I have a go trailer locked and loaded (literarily). 100K would get me back in the game, but the most likely event would be a loss during travel to a match, hunting, or anything else that involves long periods in locked vehicles.

I think if more people added up, the gunsmithing, FFL, and every single part, they might be surprised what they have invested. As I was telling Sean and about 12 of us in our silly text group last night, I was blown away with just the $ investment on my current spotting optics gear I have sitting around.

My premium looks to be about $350. This has been a great thread and you guys all have been very helpful.

Agreed, thanks for posting this thread. While i've been in the "set and forget it" mode with USAA, my premiums are around the 1% of total value. I did bite the bullet and surrender SN information which I am still ok with as most of shit I've ensured is SOT/Class 3 and that info is readily accessible by the OGAs.

But it does make me pause and want to explore other options.

Agreed, thanks for posting this thread. While i've been in the "set and forget it" mode with USAA, my premiums are around the 1% of total value. I did bite the bullet and surrender SN information which I am still ok with as most of shit I've ensured is SOT/Class 3 and that info is readily accessible by the OGAs.

But it does make me pause and want to explore other options.

I don't know if Eastern pays out and hope never to test it. it looks like when all is said and done, Eastern ended up being about .38%

I will have to file a police or fire report and provide serial numbers, inventory list and pictures if I ever need to file a claim. But that seems reasonable for such a low premium.

Reactions: chrome and seansmd
    I have a personal property policy with Armed Forces Insurance Exchange.
    I think it's $8 per $1000 per year. Covers scheduled property and some unscheduled items as well. Not location dependent - covers the property wherever it is. Works for guns, watches, knives, etc. Have only needed to use them once or twice and it was pretty simple.

Just to reconfirm. Eastern’s coverage covers unscheduled items up to 10k up to the maximum coverage. An individual item/s at 10k, it’s a simple line item note. Other items such as optics, Bows, Cases, packs, ammo, reloading gear, knives etc. it covers any location as long as it is locked. Not lost items or unattended items in the back of a unattended open pickup bed.

Does it cover boating accidents, asking for a friend?

I have a question for anyone that has made a claim through Eastern. How do they handle a claim, as far as payment. How is the value of the firearm/optic decided? do they pay current full price for replacement or depreciated price? What about a custom bolt gun you put together or high dollar home built AR, how is that price determined?

State Farm has policy “personal articles “
    I have my top equipment insured.(whether I loose any for any reason or run them over or theft(where ever range home or out of state etc).
    It‘s a separate rider so it does not fall under your home deductible due to theft,fire etc
    I think the cost is cheaper then buying a safe (My opinion(equipment protected anywhere)
    If you need a agent I dealt with State Farm in Greenville MI. Awesome people to deal with!