• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

firearm selling tactics

PJC7250

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2002
Apollo, Pa.
I see on this forum and may other forums that have a fiream selling section where some people are trying to sell their very expensive rifles and handguns with a label like this: New fiream just 20 to 60 rounds through it to function test. Are you kidding me..... who buys a fiream from a gunmaker or manufuacturer that didn't have the fiream function tested at the factory or by the gunsmith.
If you drive a new car off the lot you just purchased you will loose a good git of money if you go an immediately try to sell it to someone else. People are nutz to pay almost full value for a scam like this. When you try to bargan with some of these sellers they think your crazy and that what they are selling is new. I guess a fool and his money will soon part. PAT.

Re: firearm selling tactics

An item is worth what someone will pay. If you aren't that someone, well alright. All it takes is one. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Really?

Last time I checked no one holds a gun to your head and forces you to buy something.

Here's a little economics lesson. An item will sell for what a person is willing to pay for it. It's called supply and demand and is the basis of which capitalism is built.

It never ceases to amaze me how some feel "entitled" to only pay what they want for an item.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People are nuts to pay almost full value for a scam like this.</div></div>

Not really. It isn't a scam. In my perspective paying nearly full value for a slightly used firearm makes perfect sense as long as the firearm in question is of good quality. In any decent and properly maintained firearm it takes thousands or even tens of thousands of rounds for any parts other than the barrel to wear out and need to be replaced. If someone bought a quality firearm and only put a few dozen or hundred rounds through it, I still consider it to be in 98% or 99% functional condition. Therefore, I am fine with paying nearly full value for it. In my eyes, I can save a little bit of money for an effectively new firearm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see on this forum and may other forums that have a firearm selling section where some people are trying to sell their very expensive rifles and handguns with a label like this: New firearm just 20 to 60 rounds through it to function test. Are you kidding me..... who buys a firearm from a gun maker or manufacturer that didn't have the firearm function tested at the factory or by the gunsmith.
If you drive a new car off the lot you just purchased you will loose a good git of money if you go an immediately try to sell it to someone else. People are nutz to pay almost full value for a scam like this. When you try to bargain with some of these sellers they think your crazy and that what they are selling is new. I guess a fool and his money will soon part. PAT.</div></div>

Do you know how many people wait for a year or more for a certain rifle from some of the "best in the business"? To be able to buy one without the wait time can be worth significantly more than retail to get in right now.

To the OP, while I will say, the Hide has some of the tightest mofo's when it comes to forum sale boards. That said, there are quite a few that know their stuff, and most things are fairly squared away in terms of market value.

Firearms are not like purchasing a car or computer in that the value drops with round 1 goes down the bore. Frankly, some of the stuff traded here would be more akin to Barrett-Jackson type stuff rather than your "Toyota Prius from the local dealer" mentality. While a used firearms should never (aside from historical significance) hold the same value of its new in box counter part of the same production. While round count is important, the condition and care are more important.

And as stated, some of the rifles for sale here have other things factored into the price than just the raw materials and use. Let's do some simple math

Custom guns = time + money
time = money

Thus

Custom guns = money + money or 2 x money

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see on this forum and may other forums that have a fiream selling section where some people are trying to sell their very expensive rifles and handguns with a label like this: New fiream just 20 to 60 rounds through it to function test. Are you kidding me..... who buys a fiream from a gunmaker or manufuacturer that didn't have the fiream function tested at the factory or by the gunsmith.
If you drive a new car off the lot you just purchased you will loose a good git of money if you go an immediately try to sell it to someone else. People are nutz to pay almost full value for a scam like this. When you try to bargan with some of these sellers they think your crazy and that what they are selling is new. I guess a fool and his money will soon part. PAT. </div></div>

You got any half priced guns you want to sell? If so, I want first option!
grin.gif

Oh, also notice that buzz words such as: "custom", "tactical", and "sniper" hold no sway here.

You want a "scam" do a search for any of those three terms (or combination there of) on gunbroker or gunsamerica and see the garbage you come up with and the premium they command.

I think I would be pretty confident dealing on Hide. I would rather purchase the firearm from someone who has used it with care and is selling it at a discounted price, rather than wait nearly a year to get. This is assuming that the item you are purchasing is similar to what you are planning to get. Plus all the sellers on Hide have a great reputation and wan't to preserve it also. Most of the guys who buy on here seem to have generally good experience. Errors and miscommunication might happen from time to time but this can happen anywhere. Nobody is forcing anybody to buy any of these items. Overall I think the general consensus here is that the Hide is GTG.

Plus half of the transactions on here involve trades. I know it's not saying much but it shows there is a lot of trust between the members. At least as much as there can be on the internet these days.

If you do not like the price move on. The item belongs to the seller and the seller can ask what they want for a item.

Water floats to it's own level.

If you have 32 "btt"'s your price is too high.

I see people on the VW forum withi 32-50 "btt"'s trying to sell steering wheels for $150. WTF???
I just sold a Momo wheel for $150, no factory wheel will get that.

The buyers determine the price by what they are willing to pay - if someone is willing to pay your asking price you are good. If not, well that's how it is in this economy.

So what your saying is that I would be insane to buy a 1965 427 Cobra for $100,000 when it only cost about $8,000 when it was new 45 years ago....?

Value is a relative term depending on a person's needs, wants & desires.....

Used guns fluctuate in value just like every other commodity. I can remember several years ago, when used guns sold for half of retail or less. Now they are higher. Its simple willing-buyer, willing-seller economics.

“So what your saying is that I would be insane to buy 427 Cobra for $100,000 when it only cost about $8,000 when it was new 45 years ago....?"

If you got $100,000 to spend on a 65 Cobra.....then money isn't a problem for you. You’re comparing apples to oranges here. We aren't discussing collectable firearms here.

Let me first apologize to my hide brother’s. My statements were not geared towards anyone in particular on this board. My statements were pointed directly towards selling boards like Gunbroker, Auction Arms, Gunsamerica etc......

I have purchased items from hide Members in the past and always had a fair shake with no complaints. I am willing to pay a little more for an item that is difficult to get.

I’m not faulting anyone for selling an item and getting the price they want. Some items are worth the money and some I don’t think are worth it……just my opinion. I have some friends in the gun business and understand what profit margin they have to deal with. So I do understand why they can only give a certain percentage due to resale value of a used firearm to make a profit.

Not related to this topic but did you ever notice, especially on Gunbroker, that you will see a nice used rifle……..say a used Rem. 700 BDL Custom Deluxe with an A Serial Number in 7mm-08. NRA rating of about 92% to 95%. I would be willing to pay in the $500 to $650 range. These sellers put a $30 dollar scope on the rifle and now want $800 and above. Or you may see a nice Sako L-579 heavy barreled action rifle in 243 cal. in NRA 97% condition which $700 to $1,100 wouldn’t be out of the realm of possibility. The caption will read…….got at an estate auction…….or selling for a friend…..anyway; they throw on a cheap scope and then want $1,500-$1,700 for the rifle. I know I know…….People will pay a shit load for shit sometime…….please don’t criticize me. These are just some of my pet peeves.

I think some folks have to have the firearm without a wait, so they pay more than I think they should. But that is only my opinion, and they are quite welcome to pay a premium because they lack the patience to acquire the same firearm at the dealers regular price.

On semi-automatic handguns, I believe that they should be fired for a few hundred rounds to settle them down, wear off any little machining burrs left over, and basically just break them in. That ammo costs money. I would rather that someone else pay for the break in ammo, and I buy the pistol as used at a lower price than the new retail price. In that case, paying a little under the "new" price makes the pistol a pretty good value. But that is just my way of looking at it.