• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Firearms Instructor Course

Re: Firearms Instructor Course

What exactly are you looking for?? What do you plan on doing??

What is it about firearms that you want to instruct?

The skills required to shoot a firearm well are different from those necessary to fight with it. Anyone can be taught how to shoot, meaning how to manipulate the trigger without moving the sights off-target. Fighting with a gun is a different kind of skill.

For example, there are instructors who teach only pistol marksmanship and there are instructors who teach defensive pistolcraft. Defensive pistolcraft instructors must be masters of both the Modern Technique of the Pistol and the skills necessary to use the firearm as a defensive tool. They must have the knowledge, experience and qualifications necessary to articulate, communicate, and apply the skills, drills, and tactics accepted in the community at-large.

Even then, a mastery of marksmanship fundamentals and knowledge of <span style="font-style: italic">how</span> to place hits on target is not sufficient to be an instructor of either the Modern Technique or of defensive pistolcraft. A defensive pistolcraft instructor must be able to articulate and demonstrate different tactics and techniques while explaining <span style="font-style: italic">when</span> and <span style="font-style: italic">why</span> each is appropriate. This ability comes only with experience.

The skill-sets applicable to defensive pistolcraft are the three-fold:

1. Marksmanship
2. Gun Handling
3. Mindset

The second element, Gun Handling, further breaks down into the following:

2A) Safety
2B) Dexterity
2C) Techniques

Novice shooters have mastered none of these skill sets. Sport shooters with a competitive shooting background have mastered the first skill-set: Marksmanship. They may also possess an advanced level of safety and dexterity with regard to their own gun-handling but, despite their sometimes significant personal achievements, without additional knowledge and experience unrelated to a one-way shooting range they are not qualified to instruct in the defensive role.

Moreover, law enforcement operations and civilian CCW classes require knowledge to an objective standard regarding one additional skill set:

4. Knowledge of the law of defense of self and others.

Take a minute and be honest with yourself: evaluate where you are in relation to the above and maybe ask the question again in a more specific form.

hey Shark, first you have to learn how to shoot. give me a call if you're interested lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: meat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey Shark, first you have to learn how to shoot. give me a call if you're interested lol</div></div>

Haha your an ass. We should get together sometime dude.

Graham, thanks for the reply. Im on a big push for credentials at the moment. There aren't any certs for been there done that unfortunately. Professional development is what Im looking for.

If your intended audience is civilians, NRA instructor credentials will help, and there are a couple of people offering accelerated NRA instructor courses. What they typically do is send you the printed course material to study, then you show up for a brief period of time for on-site instruction. Links are on the NRA site.

However, NRA credentials are not worth much, if anything, for teaching military and law enforcement.

Who are your intended students?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your intended audience is civilians, NRA instructor credentials will help, and there are a couple of people offering accelerated NRA instructor courses. What they typically do is send you the printed course material to study, then you show up for a brief period of time for on-site instruction. Links are on the NRA site.

However, NRA credentials are not worth much, if anything, for teaching military and law enforcement.

Who are your intended students?
</div></div>

I manage a contract security company. For the most part my students would be CSG's. An NRA instructor cert is probably a must in order to rent and run the range. Ideally I am looking for certification in a course that incorporates more advanced shooting techniques with a solid library of course materials.

It takes more than an “instructors” course to be an instructor.

Prior to the instructor’s course, you need experience in that discipline. But that isn’t all.

You also need organizational skills to organize the classes/courses. I.E. Logistics for putting on a class, w you will to billet the students and feed them, transportation to and from the range, knowing supply and personal management is also needed, you’ll need armors, ammo, communication, medical……the list goes on.

On my department, you had to have attended the FBI’s instructor development class prior to teaching any classes, firearms, EOD, officer Survival, ANY CLASS. That was the basic, then the instructor courses in firearms follows.

After all that we get to the meat, Regardless of discipline the coach/instructor marksman, experience will enable him to understand the problems the students will have.

He MUST insist on proper application of fundamentals.

He should be grounded in the principles of detection and correction of errors.

He must promote team spirit and the will to win.

He must insist on the correct execution of instructions and commands
He must never overlook the fact that each student is an individual with a personality of his own.

And as Gary Anderson stresses in his Master Instructor Courses, you must understand; THERE IS NO HOPELESS SHOOTERS.

I don’t believe there is any “one” school that will accomplish this.

I could always develop a training program that incorporates "best practices" and make it specific to my organization.

My goal however is to drive my leadership team to pursue continuing education.

At the moment I am studying for my CPP (ASIS) which will then be followed up with a PMP certification and I thought "well why not become a certified firearms instructor". Certification being the key. I can attend any number of very fine shooting schools but in the end it would be more beneficial to find one that will allow me to offer a third party certification as an added benefit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It takes more than an “instructors” course to be an instructor.</div></div>

kraigWY, I understand where you're coming from. I think understanding a little bit about my background would help. I'm a former 0321 that has trained with the Hawaii SSD on various hostage rescue scenarios. I have trained Thai Recon Marines in basic "sqaure bay shooting". I spent three and a half years in a Scout Sniper Platoon as an 0321 (reserve) and deployed in support of OIF 2-2. I have participated in numerous training exercises over my eight years in the Corps including Stu Segall. I have spent eleven years in the contract security industry and maintain a Firearm Control Card for the state of Illinois.

What I am looking for is to provide added value to my officers and company by achieving the ability to certify them to a standard outside of my organization.

i have a degree in education........really i do.

its simple shit.....
"tell 'em what your going to tell 'em"
"tell 'em"
" then tell 'em what you told 'em"

now send my you billing address so i can ship you an invoice...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have a degree in education........really i do.

its simple shit.....
"tell 'em"

now send my you billing address so i can ship you an invoice... </div></div>Tell me that again.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have a degree in education........really i do.

its simple shit.....
"tell 'em"

now send my you billing address so i can ship you an invoice...</div></div>

Does the invoice come with a certificate?

If there isn't a program currently in place that you guys would endorse what do you think about a collaborative effort with a big name academy to develop a curriculum?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I am looking for is to provide added value to my officers and company by achieving the ability to certify them to a standard outside of my organization</div></div>.

Ok, I see we are talking about "certification'.

What I know of it, on the civilian side, LE Certification is a bit like being certified as an expert witness in court. You get examined by both the prosicuter and defense, establishing your training & experience to the point both plus the judge accepts you as an "expert" in what ever subject you are testifying in.

Same with being a certified instructor, the State provides a standard, if you meet this standard you present your case, based on training and experience and they decide to Certify you or not in what ever field you are choosing.

In Alaska, as mentioned, regardless of everything else the state required the FBI Instructor Development Corse. I'm sure differant states are differant, so I would contact your state POST council and get a reading from them as to what schools and experience they require.

Some times its wierd, for example, among other subjects, according to the State of Alaska I'm certified to instruct, Radiolocal Defense. Something I haven't kept up with and don't know of any requiremnt I could see for me needing it.

But hey; if anyone feels the need to set up a Fallout Shelter, give me a call.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have a degree in education........really i do.

its simple shit.....
"tell 'em"

now send my you billing address so i can ship you an invoice... </div></div>Tell me that again.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

i'll have to charge overtime.....

I thought "Fallout!" was a command to go outside or leave a formation...

I'm kidding, of course. I was locked down on an Air Force Base during the Cuban Missile Crisis. We figured it was a tradeoff - we didn't have to go to school, but there was a non-trivial chance the local air temperature would achieve, briefly, one million degrees F.

If you want "certification" check into the NRA LEAD "Precision Rifle Instructor" Course. It's LE oriented and gives you a base
"Instructor" certification. You can then branch out to other "certifications" from that.

They are NOT operator level courses. You need to already be able to shoot before you take them. They just certify that you can instruct others.

If you have any kind of military/LE Instructor experience, I would not worry about taking too many "instructor" courses. I would take as many operator level courses as you can. Develop your teaching style and integrate techniques you believe in.

I like learning new techniques. It may not be a technique that I use regularly, but it may be something I can use to help a student down the road.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

In Alaska, as mentioned, regardless of everything else the state required the FBI Instructor Development Corse. I'm sure differant states are differant, so I would contact your state POST council and get a reading from them as to what schools and experience they require.</div></div>

Thanks for the insight, it gives me quite a bit to think about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but there was a non-trivial chance the local air temperature would achieve, briefly, one million degrees F.</div></div>

At the average of one MOA change per 15 degrees, I don't think I have that much elevation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but there was a non-trivial chance the local air temperature would achieve, briefly, one million degrees F.</div></div>

At the average of one MOA change per 15 degrees, I don't think I have that much elevation.

</div></div>

reminds me of the perfect weapon to hunt gizzly with....which is a snub nose .38 with the front sight ground down....so as not to chip your tooth

We have requirements in the LE community in this state that require us to attend an instructors course to instruct LEO's. It's a generic course on overall instructing practices, course development and lesson plan creation. For firearms we have to attend another course (TCLEOSE 2222) to be certified to instruct in firearms. We get more detailed and have to pass a 3 weapon qual mandated by the state then build firearm specific courses and run the range. Then I attended various instructor level courses put on by the TTPOA (Texas Tactical Peace Officers Association) who host either in house instructors or bring in outside instructors, such as CSAT, Mid South, Craft...whatever. These courses were specific to either weapon or tactics. Combat Pistol, Tactical Rifle, Precision Rifle, Ballistic Breaching etc. We have also hosted the NRA for a precision rifle instructor course. I know your looking at "who" to go to for certification, but you'll also have to look at how your are going to certify your students (under whose name or organization).

I attended the NRA precision rifle instructor course in Anchorage. It was taught by a Retired Marine, Chuch (cant remember his last name). He shot for the Marine Corp prior to retiring. His coach was Carlos Hathcock. I had a grand old time harassing him. At the time the NG was taking most of the service rifle championships. Good course, good instructor.

With your security background the NRA Law Enforcement Instructor Courses would be a good place to start and provide certification that is recognized by many LE agencies acrosss the country.

Its all about marketing.
If Glock is hot and you are a Glock cert. Instructor......

I found certain credentials will hurt you.

Ex- Marine sniper doesnt go over well with the women.
Guys dont like know it all, macho instructor's.

Look what your competition is doing and do it different/ something else.

I became really good friends with my two biggest competitors.
Now we pass customers back and forth.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU SPEND A BUNCH OF 4$$$$$ ON TRAINING.
Keep track of every bullet you buy. Its a total tax write off!!!!)

Good luck-

I think you should attend the T.S. "Counter Beard Grabbing Course." I hear he even offers it free of charge if you get him shitfaced first.

If not, there's always the J.K. "Punch You In The Face!!" training.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the front sight ground down, it will also hurt less when the bear shoves it up your ass.
</div></div>

ha ha ha

Paul Howe puts on a great instructor development class, where you get teaching time in his method during your stay.
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=270950

He does Pistol and Carbine instructor classes.

I'd recommend looking him up if you want to broaden your skill set while getting some good teaching experience and guidance.
http://combatshootingandtactics.com/

His book is a must read if you're thinking about running classes, IMO.
http://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Trainer-Thoughts-Management-Operations/dp/1438996284

I just took the NRA basic pistol instructor class with Evan Carson. He and Dave ran an excellent program. I think once you have the NRA credentials, it's all about experience and preparation.

I'm an NRA Instructor in various disciplines. It is an excellent credential, but the information is nearly worthless. The NRA is a sporting organization, teaching sporting firearms, not defensive firearms. NRA Law Enforcement, on the other hand, is teaching sporting firearm knowledge under defensive law enforcement conditions. Some of the information is good. Some is stupid and based on sports and square ranges and not reality.

Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy (my state's LEO Certification) is at about the same level.

If you're looking for quality training, I recently took "Combat Focus Shooting Instructor Development" earlier this year. It was intense and excellent. I would highly recommend it, although I should forewarn that it is not for the weary or fainthearted. An NRA Instructor in his 60's who seemed like a polite individual, walked out of the course claiming that it was too hard to pass, and he didn't even want to try to finish. Rob Pincus, the Instructor, tried to convince him to stay, but he didn't show in the end.

Courses like the NRA pretty much give you a certificate if you pay and show up. Those courses teach you very little. Sure, you'll always pick up a little nugget or two at any course, but frankly if you are "learning a lot" from an NRA course, you have little business being an Instructor.

If you want to actually understand how to teach students how to proficiently perform under a myriad of extremely stressful situations, then things like the NRA, NRA Law Enforcement, and Many other State Law Enforcement and Military Instructor Certifications would not be the way to go. Though, oddly enough, they will get you the most recognition from students (who don't know that they don't know), and will potentially bring in the highest revenue.