• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors firearms shipping question

craines51

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2005
Gainesville, Georgia
wasn't sure where to post this question?

what is the law concerning shipping a pistol? does it have to go ffl to ffl, or can it be shipped by an individual to ffl?

Re: firearms shipping question

You can ship a pistol as an individual. FEDEX and UPS will likely require overnight but you can do it and not be an FFL. But it does have to go to a FFL to be properly transferred.

It can go individual to FFL but you need to send it overnight through UPS and I believe Fed Ex also. Make sure to get a copy of the FFL you are shipping it to and check it on the FFL Check on the ATF site before shipping.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crash01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does FedEx/UPS require a copy of the FFL when you go to ship? </div></div>

Id bring one just in case,I have shipped FedEx only and they have never asked for it but in their "regs" it is policy to show it.Our UPS requires for hanguns to be shipped from FFL to FFL.

I always bring it just incase but sometimes they don;t look at it.

try UPS next day red saver.

box should give no indication that it's a firearm. Including the label. Usually the FFL holder has a biz name and his first and last name on it. Use his full name instead of biz name if biz name indicates it's a firearm. He'll likely require a copy of your license. Unless they ask I wouldn't even tell them what it is. If they do then be honest and show the ffl. They can not copy the ffl or keep it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">try UPS next day red saver.

box should give no indication that it's a firearm. Including the label. Usually the FFL holder has a biz name and his first and last name on it. Use his full name instead of biz name if biz name indicates it's a firearm. He'll likely require a copy of your license. Unless they ask I wouldn't even tell them what it is. If they do then be honest and show the ffl. They can not copy the ffl or keep it. </div></div>

Careful,
from ATF FAQ's
(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. </span></span>

Bad advice not telling them what it is especially if you insure it and plan on collecting that insurance if anything happens.

Good idea.