• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

fired cases getting stuck in chamber

clinto

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Lubbock, TX
Guys I am having problems ejecting brass from my 300 win mag after firing it. It happens with my reloads about 1 in every 5 shots or so. Im using RWS brass with about 77 grains of h1000 and 208 amax bullets. It does not happen with the ammo I bought from the southwest ammo group buy. The extractor groove looks shallower with the RWS brass, could this be the problem and if so is there a way to correct this? Any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

Would need more information on your brass prep. If the factory loads do not give you problems, then the hand loads are suspect.

OFG

I trimmed the brass down, I cant remember what length and I dont have my notes with me now but it was based of the chamber length measurement using the chamber length gauge from sinclair. Then I neck turned the brass and sized to about .002 neck tension.

Guys I am having problems ejecting brass from my 300 win mag after firing it. It happens with my reloads about 1 in every 5 shots or so. Im using RWS brass with about 77 grains of h1000 and 208 amax bullets. It does not happen with the ammo I bought from the southwest ammo group buy. The extractor groove looks shallower with the RWS brass, could this be the problem and if so is there a way to correct this? Any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

Since you mention the extractor groove, I'm wondering...is the extractor pulling the case from the chamber at all, is bolt lift hard, or is your problem with ejecting, as you stated in the op? Three totally different issues and I'm not sure what you're saying that your gun is doing. A better description of the problem is needed.

RWS 300 Mag Brass is on average 30 grains heavier than the next thickest 300 Mag brass (meaning less internal volume). Normal book loads do NOT apply. When using RWS brass loads your velocities should be similar to regular Win or Federal Brass but use 2-3 grains less powder. If you work up your loads from below, and use a chronograph during your load development you would see your velocity progression. Your max with RWS brass should be around 74-75 grains...

Last edited:
I trimmed the brass down, I cant remember what length and I dont have my notes with me now but it was based of the chamber length measurement using the chamber length gauge from sinclair. Then I neck turned the brass and sized to about .002 neck tension.

Trimmed, measured, neck turned, and neck sized. Are you bumping the shoulders or full length sizing?

OFG

Are you getting a click at the top of the bolt lift? As mentioned earlier, loads are probably too hot. I use RWS and have nodes at 75.2 and 77, might try 75.2.