• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fireform brass and ladder test

Depending on how much you have to form you can develop so that you have a reasonably accurate load to play with until it’s all formed instead of a scatter gun

Reactions: Doom
I agree with the above comments.

The brass takes a certain amount of energy to expand to fill the camber each time it's fired. After the first firing you will either resize with your own die or neck size so that the next firing will likely require less energy than the first firing so that energy will show up as pressure/velocity. Keep that in mind and don't load a charge that is beginning to show pressure in that first firing.

I use the OCW method and I have done load development with new brass. I usually found a suitable charge that worked with fired brass whether I neck sized or full length sized.

Unless shooting a discipline in which the rifle and shooter are capable and it’s required for performance……

You won’t see a large enough difference between fired and virgin brass to matter. Unless for some reason your chamber to virgin brass fitment is very loose. Or a cartridge which requires forming.

I.E. if shooting a discipline like PRS….you won’t go from shooting tiny groups to bad groups or missing moving from virgin to fired brass.

Depends on what you are forming. 6 creed not much. 6 br to 6 dasher and youll see a big change.

Reactions: Doom
Unless shooting a discipline in which the rifle and shooter are capable and it’s required for performance……

You won’t see a large enough difference between fired and virgin brass to matter. Unless for some reason your chamber to virgin brass fitment is very loose. Or a cartridge which requires forming.

I.E. if shooting a discipline like PRS….you won’t go from shooting tiny groups to bad groups or missing moving from virgin to fired brass.
1600-2400 yards... KO1 match.