• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fireforming 6.5 Grendel

win.308stealth

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2012
fosston mn
Wondering if someone can help me out here. I have a 16in. barreled AR in 6.5 Grendel. I load 129 gr. Hornady Interlocks for whitetails. Since I cant find any Grendel brass locally, and I need the ammo middle of this week, I decided to fireform some from 7.62x39 (Winchester). I am not looking for accuracy from this load, as most shots will be within a 100 yards at whitetail deer. I know that the x39 case has less case capacity than the Grendel. So lets say that the load calls for 24.5-27 grains of powder X, can I load 25.5 gr. of powder X into the x39 cases (they have been run through a Grendel die) and would it be safe, or would there be high pressures. Basically, can I use the same loading data for the resized (but not yet fireformed) brass as I would for the caliber I am trying to load for, or do you need to back down on the powder charge. Thanks in advance.

Just be aware that some users report that using large primer 7.62X39 brass for the 6.5 Grendel conversion say they lose the primer pocket on the first firing. Apparently, it's better to use small rifle primed 7.62X39 brass for the conversion. All of my Winchester 7.62X39 is large rifle primed, but it's old brass.

If you are going to do the conversion with large rifle primed brass and have no other option, I'd use the starting load or even a grain below that. The Deer won't know the difference. You might stretch the primer pocket on the first firing and you may have to toss the brass.

Good to know about the primers. They are larger rifle primers. This is going to be hunting ammo, and I rarely pick up brass during hunting, I am usually in thick brush or high grass. Thanks for the info.