• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fireforming

WayneHS

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2010
Phoenix AZ
Once my cases are all prepped and ready for fireforming, is simply a mild load recommended or is it preferred to be running a load more on the hot side? (I'm loading a 300 Win Mag) T

Re: Fireforming

Are you forming a wildcat based on the 300WM, or just firing the brass to fit your 300WM chamber?
If it's a 300WM, just load up whatever load (or loads) you want to try, and shoot it. They can be mild or max loads. It won't matter. Are you neck sizing after this?

just as CHAD said.unless you are really makeing changes in the case design you will have no problem forming them.

yeah just standard 300 win mag brass nothing special. I also was going to try Redding Comp dies for the first time. They look incredible and I like good quality tools. Should I fireform the brass with the bullet touching the lands?

Load them up like the book says and see how they do like that. Does the rifle have a custom barrel / chamber? Sometimes when you run the bullet out long for a factory chamber, they don't feed through the magazine. If it's a custom chamber / barrel depending on the reamer it was done with, you may not need to move it much at all.