• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fireforming?

AK264

feeder of the Malinois
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2006
Ive got a gun in 6mm rem that shoots half a minute with once fired brass and 3moa with new brass(win). The difference going from new to once fired while on the bench with the exact same load is truly amazing. Nothing I have done to the new brass will get it to shoot. Neck turning would do it I think but I dont do that. Ive got 500 pieces of the new stuff. Before I buy 500 of the cheapest 6mm bullets I can get and run them thru with a fast pistol powder to fireform my new brass, is there any other way to fire form? I remember somthing about using pistol powder and pushing the case int a wax block to seal it and make a wax bullet with the brass neck. ?? Will this produce enough pressure to fireform?
Thank You

Re: Fireforming?

You can also use a small amount of cream of wheat as a top filler above the powder, too. All you need is enough pressure to expand the brass. You can do it without a bullet. Just read up on what it will take for you specific caliber, and try a few.

Like was already mentioned you can put some cream of wheat on top of the powder charge, but you don't need a full charge in my experience.

I've heard of people using a light load of something like Unique, that you'd shoot lead with, and top it off with the cream of wheat.

You use a primer and a little powder, but that's cheap compared to dusting off 500 "cheap" tips just to form the brass.

I just fought this battle with a 6PPC AR15 I built. Got the barrel used and the chamber is cut way long. I ended up fireforming the cases to get the fit right(they are a lot more accurate now!!)

I started with 9 grains of Bullseye and loaded 10 each at 9, 10, 11 and 12 grains. 11 grains seemed perfect filling out the case nicely. I put in the powder, tamped it down with 1/4 sheet of toilet paper (Charmin, dont'cha know) then filled the rest of the case to the neck with corn meal. I them shoved the case neck into a paraffin layer I made up to seal the case.

I used some case lube (STOS but RCBS would do) on the cases and then fired them in the chamber. They came out looking great. I then cleaned the barrel, cleaned the cases and headed back out for some good shooting.

Thanks! Cream of wheat parafin and bullseye for me!