• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Firefox users

Teggy1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2008
Forest City, Iowa
Has anybody else had any problems with the latest Firefox, running windows 7.

I can't say for sure if it is Firefox, but after getting the latest update (or whatever came out on the 25th), my computer hangs up. Click on anything, anywhere and that program goes into "not responding" for about 20-30 sec. then comes back and works for 20-30 sec. like there is nothing wrong, process repeats.

Also, the same morning I started having problems, I had an Adobe update, and a windows update.

Called tech support, did a system restore to a few days ago, a ton of restarts, uninstalled firefox, reinstalled firefox...... finally he said I might have malware that could be hard or impossible to find.

I have run Norton, Malware bytes, and Spybot Search and Destroy. All of these say nothing wrong. WTF?

Anybody else have any other options for me?

Thanks

ETA: I am currently using IE, with firefox removed, and things seem to be normal.

And this topic isn't about getting a Mac, so save the post count for somewhere else.

Re: Firefox users

Are you Running 3.6 or the 4.0 beta??

The 4.0 beta crashed constantly- went back to 3.61
and it seems stable-

BTW I'm running XP..

I tested beta 4 for a while and it was solid, so I dropped the previous version altogether. No problems on Windows 7 SP1 64 bit.

Have you installed SP1 yet?
Windows 7 Service Pack 1

If Malwarebytes came up clean you should be OK with regards to Malware.
You could run Kasperky's TDSSKiller just to make sure you don't have a rootkit infection.
http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684

If you can't get Firefox straightened out, I'd try Chrome.
You can still get Adblocker and other add-ons with that.

Generally that 20-30 second lag is a lost/incomplete TCP/IP datastream.

In other words it's usually application specific.

I use Firefox on occasion and I too get that on Windows 7, SP1, 64 bit.

I do testing so occasionally I use Firefox for that..

When I had that problem in my last computer (two weeks ago) the first thing I found that made a HUGE difference was to disable ALL of the Firefox add-ons. That made the problem disappear.

The intent was to slowly start enabling them, one by one, to find out which was the conflicting issue.

But then, the motherboard crapped out (lost a cap) and I said "screw-it" and had hot-rod built.

"Are you Running 3.6 or the 4.0 beta??"

Can't remember which version I was running, there was just an Firefox update that auto updated Friday the 25th morning.

"Have you installed SP1 yet?"

I see it is available, and am updating now. Friday AM though there was a windows update that occured at 12:07 AM or something.

"Generally that 20-30 second lag is a lost/incomplete TCP/IP datastream.

In other words it's usually application specific."

Even if it is an application on the hardrive? You name it, it hung up, not just internet stuff.

Also, when I restart, it goes to a blue screen, and gives me a list if "F" commands (F9 for this F11 for that). Sometimes I would get a disk read error, sometimes not.

After running the different programs trying to figure shit out, I still get the blue screen, but windows does eventually load.

Would really like to learn more about this stuff, but have no idea where to start.

Thanks for the reply's guys!

Your last post reveals that it may be a much bigger issue than simply a problem with Firefox, or with Windows.

You need to test your memory, cpu, and hard drive with diagnostics tools.
What make and model computer is it?

I switched to Firefox a couple of weeks ago after having Explorer shut down and require a rebooting- several times!

No problems so far.

david

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teggy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's an HP, Elite HPE-400y desktop.

</div></div>

I don't like Windows-based diagnostics, but that's what your system has.
Follow the guide here.

Your computer may also have diagnostics on the recovery partition.
That would be a preferred method of testing the hardware.

Do you have the F9 option on bootup as shown here?

c01413989.jpg

If so, choose it and run the tests.

Tucker, I think I have done that, I honestly can't remember. It seems to me, after I had the disk read error, I ran that. I ended up with a black screen, white text and next to the components run was "<span style="color: #009900">PASSED</span>" so I didn't think much of it.

I can try it again tomorrow night, I am not near my desktop until then.

Thanks

Ok, after running the "F9" diagnostigs on the blue screen, I get:
CPU test - passed
Hard drive connection test - passed
Boot test- passed
S.M.A.R.T Test- passed
Memory Test - passed

Press 'R' to reboot

After I press R, I got the disk read error again, then says press ctrl-alt-del.

Go through same process. After second go around, then windows comes up normally.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teggy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anybody else had any problems with the latest Firefox, <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">running windows 7</span></span>.

I can't say for sure if it is Firefox, but after getting the latest update (or whatever came out on the 25th), my computer hangs up. Click on anything, anywhere and that program goes into "not responding" for about 20-30 sec. then comes back and works for 20-30 sec. like there is nothing wrong, process repeats.

Also, the same morning I started having problems, I had an Adobe update, and a windows update.

Called tech support, did a system restore to a few days ago, a ton of restarts, uninstalled firefox, reinstalled firefox...... finally he said I might have malware that could be hard or impossible to find.

I have run Norton, Malware bytes, and Spybot Search and Destroy. All of these say nothing wrong. WTF?

Anybody else have any other options for me?

Thanks

ETA: I am currently using IE, with firefox removed, and things seem to be normal.

And this topic isn't about getting a Mac, so save the post count for somewhere else. </div></div>

Highlighted your problem.

Branden

Edit: CHROME FTMFW!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teggy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, after running the "F9" diagnostigs on the blue screen, I get:
CPU test - passed
Boot test- passed
S.M.A.R.T Test- passed
Memory Test - passed

Press 'R' to reboot

Go through same process. After second go around, then windows comes up normally. </div></div>

Is there a CD or other disk in the optical drive, or a USB flash drive plugged in?
It sounds like it's trying to boot to a non-bootable disk.
Check your BIOS settings and set the first boot device to the hard drive.

Tucker I see the issue in testing as well, I suspect it's the add-on's, acts like a stuck TCP session.

That's not to say this guy does not have PC issues!
smile.gif

I'd love to get my hands on it. I know I could get it right for him.

Just updated Firefox to 3.6.1.6, running Win 7 Ultimate 64bit w/SP1, no problems whatsoever. I have been running Firefox pretty much since it came out with no problems. And Win 7 is also not his problem. IF he doesn't have some nasty malware, I would say his HDD is about to go tits up. My advice, backup your data just in case.....and start looking for new hard drives.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teggy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, after running the "F9" diagnostigs on the blue screen, I get:
CPU test - passed
Boot test- passed
S.M.A.R.T Test- passed
Memory Test - passed

Press 'R' to reboot

Go through same process. After second go around, then windows comes up normally. </div></div>

Is there a CD or other disk in the optical drive, or a USB flash drive plugged in?
It sounds like it's trying to boot to a non-bootable disk.
Check your BIOS settings and set the first boot device to the hard drive. </div></div>

The only thing plugged in is the USB cable for my Ipod. I doubt thats it.

I'll check the BIOS, if I can figure it out.

Try loading the failsafe defaults in BIOS. Also, if you haven't already, unplug all add-in hardware (including all extra RAM), if you can boot it's a hardware issue.

If you have on-board video but use a graphics card, use the on-board. If not, borrow a graphics card, use an old one, or try just uninstalling the video drivers.

Also, try to revert to just before the updates: hit F5 as you are starting up, then F8 and select "Last known good configuration". Assuming you can boot, you can then apply the latest updates one at a time to see which one junked your system and determine if there is a possible fix for it.

I have always run Firefox and use it on all my systems: Server 2008, SBS 2011, Win 7 Pro and Ultimate x64...never had a problem.