• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fires in Texas Panhandle

Heard about the fires earlier today. Didn’t even know they were going on until today. Do quite a bit of business in TX, but nothing that far north.
Praying for those folks.

I'm a few hundred miles north of there and it's currently blowing 40-50 mph.
A nothing spark in dry winter grass can start a huge fire in this wind.....trust me, I know from experience having had to put one out from a 2day unused bar b que that the wind somehow re-ignited.

If you read the comments on the story linked not one of them mofos understand how shit works in a stiff wind.

Reactions: Aftermath
It’s a weird year. I’m a FF in michigans upper peninsula and we’ve seen several grass fires in the past week here. Mind you much smaller in scale (a few acres) compared to what this thread references.

Non the less we have no snow currently other than a few banks and in my almost 16 years as a FF I’ve never responded to grass fires in February. Let alone our entire area fighting fires with fully staffed dnr wildland units in what should be mid winter

Hope all goes well for them. These are the types of years that produce very devastating fires

Last winter on this same day we were shoveling roofs off to avoid collapse after a major snow storm

I'm a few hundred miles north of there and it's currently blowing 40-50 mph.
A nothing spark in dry winter grass can start a huge fire in this wind.....trust me, I know from experience having had to put one out from a 2day unused bar b que that the wind somehow re-ignited.

If you read the comments on the story linked not one of them mofos understand how shit works in a stiff wind.
Not to mention all the cotton fields. Even after harvest, there remains a literal shit ton of fuel

Don't know what we have in store but hope it isn't a repeat of 2012
Two fires in Nebraska on Monday, one was at 71000 acres.
Today we had some snow that hopefully cooled things down a bit but still strong winds.
End of this week temps near 70 and winds gusting over 40 and there is a lot of fuel out there.
Sure don't like the start to wild fire season this early
I don't have water in my grass rig yet because of freezing temps at night (tonight 2 above) and I don't have a heated shop to keep it in.
Prayers for everyone in Texas.
Hope weather conditions change so they can get the fires contained and under control.