• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Firing 300 grain OTM Berger in 7 twist: Will it damage my barrel?

harry_x1

Khalsa
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2019
I recently got a new barrel for my 33xc in 7 twist. I already have 50 rounds of 300 grain OTMs loaded from previous 9 twist barrel.

Can I fire these 50 catridges through the new 7 twist barrel as part of break in? Or there is a chance that the bullet might explode inside the barrel or something like that which can potentially harm my new barrel?

I understand this is a naive/stupid question...but I am fairly new to this...thanks for your assistance !

look up an RPM calculator. above a certain rpm, they go poof outside the barrel... maybe like 300,000rpm. your barrel will likely be fine. Can you pull the bullets and use them in another rifle?

Scott

Yes they can and most definitely WILL damage your barrel to the point that you will have to replace the barrel. It will take far more than those 50. About 20 times more. Plan on a new barrel around 1500 rounds.

The tightest twist I would use lead core bullets would be 1-8. I know its not a 33xc but when I had Robert Vestel barrel my 375CT he told me 1-8 max for lead and 1-7 for solids so thats what I have stuck with.

Reactions: Taylorbok