• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Firing pin hole

glock63

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2008
Aberdeen, South Dakota
The firing pin hole on my 700 bolt face seems to be bored slightly oversize. It allows the primer to flow into the firing pin hole, even with mild loads. Can anyone reccomend a good smith to install a proper sized bushing in the bolt face?

Re: Firing pin hole

dude, don't worry about it and ignore the craters as a pressure sign. Pay attention to the outside of the primer cup along the rim of the primer pocket and the bolt lift.

Well, how bad is it? I wouldnt ignore anything that might cause problem with pressure. Theres 55,000 to 65,000 PSI two inches from your face.

Can you show a picture of the bolt face and a fired case?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dude, don't worry about it and ignore the craters as a pressure sign. Pay attention to the outside of the primer cup along the rim of the primer pocket and the bolt lift. </div></div>

Never take shooting advice from a guy with one eye and only seven fingers!

lol... every factory Rem I have ever been around had flow back through the over sized firing pin hole. Surgeon, BAT, etc did not.

I put 5K rounds through an old 700P that made Neil Armstrong craters in the primer at .2gr below the max. Shot great with no cycling issues.

I actually don't disagree, pretty common on a lot of Remmys. If you start piercing them then it's time.

For $65 though Gretan will make it all better.

sure, but piercing wasn't mentioned by the OP.

Perhaps you should go to moderator school again?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Perhaps you should go to moderator school again?</div></div>

I only have 2 minutes free this whole week and you were going to teach me everything you knew about shooting during that time.....decisions.....
laugh.gif

considering mod school is 50 sec and what I know takes up 45 sec....you could also have time for a free quote from Geico.

Mine too. It is common.
I assumed that because it was being mentioned, it was worse than normal.
I will say though that I havent seen it that much with light loads. And almost every rifle I've owned started life as a factory Remington 700.