• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Firing Pin Releases When Bolt Closes

triplecelectric

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2009
Valencia, Ca.
I've got a Remington 700 with a Jewell Trigger and when I close the bolt the bolt usually does not stay cocked and when I just cock it without cycling it it always does not stay cocked.

I've changed the trigger out to a stock Rem. trigger and the same thing happens but maybe not quite as prevelent but close.

Is my bolt screwed up?

Could the cocking mechanism on the bolt be worn?

Is there a way to adjust the cocking mechanism on the bolt?

I searched it but couldn't really find a clear answer. Please help!!!!

Re: Firing Pin Releases When Bolt Closes

Either the firing pin dumeflature isn't hanging down low enough or the trigger whatzit bar isn't sticking up high enough. BUT, it's more likely that you've got your sear engagement dialed back so low that it won't always catch. If you monkeyed with the sear engagement, and you know where to look on either of those trigger bodies, get a jewelers loupe or magnifying glass and have a look at how much sear engagement you've really got. Adjust it until it's absolutely safe, reliable and REPEATABLE.

I've tried two different triggers and I've dialed the sear engagement on the Jewell to the max. Can the firing pin dumeflature be adjusted

The cocking piece in the bolt (surrounded by the shroud) that is attached to the firing pin is not adjustable in a Remington 700. However, is it possible that the bolt shroud has been unscrewed a rotation or more? You can check this by removing the bolt and checking the spacing between the bolt and shroud.

If the gap is larger then say 0.125", use the shoelace on you shoe to pull back the firing pin back (to clear the cocking cam) and screw the shroud in all the way correctly. Since its sounds like you have been cocking the bolt by hand you may have rotated it out a full rotation.

If this is not it, i'd recommend a gunsmith. Hope this helps

I think Jason might be onto something, but who knows.

Here's one more tool for the kit: Get a styrofoam cup, a lighter and take the bolt out of the gun. Rip off a big piece of styrofoam, ignite it, and "smoke" the firing pin dumeflature on your bolt. Get it good and black. Now, insert it carefully back into the action. Work the action several times, but not dry-firing. Just close and open the bolt 4 or 5 times. Now, take the bolt back out. "Witness" where the marks occur on the hangey-down bolt-erizer thing. BTW, I think the part we're referring to is actually called the "Bolt Plug". Do you have significant engagement, or is it sitting on the ragged edge?

By the way, when you burn that styrofoam, don't be sitting near any trees. All the birds will instantly die from that smoke and fall on your head. The tree bark will peel off, and land on the grass, which will kill the grass. The tree will fall over and crush your house. Then, Al Gore will a-come-a-callin'. Bad, very bad. Burning styrofoam is very bad for the environment. Very bad.

There's a few things that can cause this:

Insufficient sear overlap
Insufficient cocking piece/transfer bar overlap
Excessive wear on the rear bridge of the receiver
Worn bolt body diameter
Trigger pin holes out of location

The trick becomes determining what's causing it and what to do about it once it gets pinned down.

Good luck and be careful.

C.

check this out;had the same problem,w/my rem700 [recent purchase]
dropped a few drops of rem oil in the trigger mech. and boom,no more problem!my self to blame for not looking over better before taking to range.........d-1

I had this happen as well. Let left some oil in my barrel/action, as I knew I would be away from my rifle for some time (7months or so). Nothing crazy, just to prevent rust. Came back and went to a high angle course with said rifle. The trigger would not hold the bolt in the cocked position, intermittently. I had to move the trigger forward an almost imperceptible amount when it wouldn't cock.
The oil had coked up inside the trigger. Coked is the wrong word, it just got really gummy. I can still find residue if I really look. Cleaned it, and it works as it should.
I've also seen the side plates on stock Remington triggers get pinched after installation. The trigger bar (not sure of real name), the top most part in the trigger, won't reset causing the symptoms you describe. I've never seen a Jewel up close; don't know if it's designed the same.
Be careful.
EDIT: Just caught the part that this happens with two triggers. I don't think my comments apply to this situation. Hope you figure it out.