• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Firing pin retaining pin (any pin)?

Hopar

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2023
SF Bay
The new bolt arrived, but no retaining pin to be found. I don't know if the RP should have been included. It doesn't matter.

Can I use a similar size/material automotive pin from hardware store or it is specific to the bolt and/or to firearm?

Thanks

Is this for an AR-15?
They are AR specific, but I'm sure that other cotter pins have been used with modification. The biggest issue will be shipping costs if that's all you're ordering, but you can usually find AR-15 type in packs of 5 for ~$10 shipped.

Yeah the pin is about $3 but shipping is $15.

I was hoping to get a pin from hardware store.

If not advisable then I will get AR15 specific pin.

Yeah the pin is about $3 but shipping is $15.

I was hoping to get a pin from hardware store.

If not advisable then I will get AR15 specific pin.
Get one of the small parts kits like these to make the most of the shipping:

Multiple vendors offer them with a variety small parts. I've launched plenty of springs and plungers in my garage over the years.

The new bolt arrived, but no retaining pin to be found. I don't know if the RP should have been included. It doesn't matter.

Can I use a similar size/material automotive pin from hardware store or it is specific to the bolt and/or to firearm?

Thanks
Just buy a few rebuild kits mid south shooters has several

Last edited:
Reactions: Hopar