• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Firing pin springs

XP1K

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2017
Texas
Need new springs for a few 700's. I ordered three new short action springs from gre-tan, advertised as 20-22lb springs. I'm trying to get rid of the coil bind that the stock spring has.

I've watched videos of guys replacing the springs and fixing this and most used gre-tan springs. So that's what I ordered. I think I've got more coil bind now than the stock spring.

Here's some pics. I didn't get a pic of the stock assembly.

Relaxed
20240416_201235.jpg

Compressed in the tool to be installed. You have to stuff it in the bolt. Doesn't seem right to me.
20240416_201243.jpg

The wire gauge of the spring combined with the diameter of the firing pin allows the crooked coil stacking.

That lack of control on the spring allows it to drag really bad on the inside of the bolt body. That retards the spring energy and increases your lock time.

The wire gauge of the spring combined with the diameter of the firing pin allows the crooked coil stacking.

That lack of control on the spring allows it to drag really bad on the inside of the bolt body. That retards the spring energy and increases your lock time.

Yeah it's no good for sure. Your work is highly regarded here, what do you use for replacement springs in a 700 ?

Wolff list a 24, 28, and 32lb spring. 24 being the standard weight. Anybody have an opinion the different weights ?

So I emailed gre-tan. Sent him the same pics I posted here. He said I have a j lock firing pin assembly and none of his parts are compatible.

There is no j lock on this rifle but when I disassembled the bolt it did have a large notch in the firing pin where the j lock would be.

What if you were to get a fluted firing pin with a diameter closer to the ID of the spring?

10-4 thanks. How does it stack up when assembled, does it look like the pic I posted or is it pretty straight ?
I should have specified I run long actions and only shoot matches like NF and KRG and then some other actual ELR.
My springs are not nearly as cocked up and don’t seem to rub bolt body.

My short action stuff is tikka based and only for hunting/ coyotes.

Reactions: XP1K
Don’t want to lead everyone down a trail, but how often does everyone change firing pin springs?

I bought one of the first j lock guns and the spring was like yours. I cut a few coils out and it smoothed up. I did that 2 barrels ago and forgot till I saw this.

Reactions: Taylorbok
I bought one of the first j lock guns and the spring was like yours. I cut a few coils out and it smoothed up. I did that 2 barrels ago and forgot till I saw this.
Well, I bought three short action springs for three bolts, and two I now know have j lock components in them. Still unsure about the third. So I guess I've got a couple to experiment with.

Don’t want to lead everyone down a trail, but how often does everyone change firing pin springs?
Some say it's critical some say it makes no difference. We've got some old 700's in the family that still shoot pretty good and they've never been changed. Those have been strictly hunting rifles though. I'd be shocked if any of them have seen 500 rounds in their lifetime.

I dont know that it makes any difference, but I always store mine with the firing pin relaxed. Makes me feel better anyway.

Reactions: Taylorbok
Some say it's critical some say it makes no difference. We've got some old 700's in the family that still shoot pretty good and they've never been changed. Those have been strictly hunting rifles though. I'd be shocked if any of them have seen 500 rounds in their lifetime.

I dont know that it makes any difference, but I always store mine with the firing pin relaxed. Makes me feel better anyway.
Thanks