• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First “precision” rifle purchase

300zx_tt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2021
South East Pennsylvania
Hey all, I’m new here and looking for some input. I want to start getting into some longer distance shooting. I had a savage 111 trophy hunter in .270 win that I shot 100-150 yards just for fun. I’ve since sold that gun because it didn’t really fit anywhere in my lineup and the .270 didn’t do what I wanted it to do. I’ve started looking at a few rifles in .308 and 6.5 creedmoor.

My initial plan was (what I thought to be a healthy budget) $1000 for a rifle, $600-$800 for an optic and $200-$400 for accessories basically rings and a bipod. I now see that a lot of you guys have well over my entire budget into just your rifle, which is awesome, but I’m not there yet.

With that being said I’ve been on a few local forum classified listings and found a few options
1. Bergara hmr in .308 with a Talley Pic rail 20moa base and Area419 pic rail bipod mount, 2- 5 round mags and 1-10 round mag. That’s about $900 bucks
2. Ruger Precision rifle in 6.5 creedmoor gen 1 no extras $1100
3. Savage 110 high country in .308 for $1000
4. Remington 700 700 ADL Tactical with 20" threaded barrel a Tasco 2.5-10 Mildot scope $500

I’ll be using this with a dead air sandman so I’m looking at exclusively threaded barrel stuff.
I’d really like to get into the hobby for what I consider a low cost and make sure it’s worth investing in. Obviously these rifles aren’t my only options. There’s a plethora of rifles that fit the bill.
In my shoes what would you do? Cheap 700 and modify it or a decent quality shooter for $1000? Wait and find something else? Bite the bullet and get a full on custom rig? Any and all insight would be awesome.

Just get the HCR. It's a howa1500 that already comes in a chassis so no need to "upgrade" it's tupperware stock as you would with other options. This thing is capable of 1000+ yards. I own one and it's an amazing rifle. It's also in your budget already.

Reactions: 308pirate
If you’ve got 1k for a rifle, bergara HMR or Tikka CTR. I’d stick with 6.5 creed too. You can put together a very capable rifle for your original budget. Vortex, athlon and bushnell all make decent scopes in your scope price range. I have a SWFA 3-15 that has worked super well and is about $700, but they go on sale fairly frequently. You’d be fine with a Harris bipod for a while too, but an Atlas is nice if you’ve got the budget.

Bergara HMR 308 great rifle and great starting platform. Primary Arms has a Burris XTR2 5-25/50 FFP Mil/Mil 34mm tube for just under 900 shipped at this time. I bought a second one this morning. Magpul or Atlas bipod. Warne Rings preferred, but I ordered a set or Arken Low .92 34mm for 69 shipped. That setup will do whatever you want to do and all components will hold their value if you take care of them.

I have 3 Bergara rifles. 6.5 Creed, 308 & 7mm.

Reactions: 300zx_tt
Tikka is a good option. Or buy a used Ruger, should hit around the $800 mark. The lower end tikkas need stock upgrades, but are nice rifles.

I would say pick up the used Ruger, then sell if you are hot on it, and go to something like the American rifle co 6.5 Creedmoor rifle. It's $2500 and easily worth that. If you don't sell you are only $800 into the rifle.

If you want to start getting into " longer distant shooting", 1st and most important is to make sure your fundamentals are solid. If you have poor skills, everything else will be shit.

Good luck, good shoot, and welcome to the madness....

And buy more ammo!

Savage model 10 tactical: $700 ish
12x SWFA scope: $300 ish
Basic burris or Vortex tactical rings: $50ish
Knock off bipod (for now): $25ish
Ammunition: Priceless
That combination will get you out well past 1000 yards. And those are prices or new goods; not someone else's cast offs.

If I understood your post correctly, you are willing to spend up to around 2k all in. For that, I would consider a Tikka CTR in 6.5, then get on the PX here and look for a used or close out Vortex Viper Gen II. That would be a pretty handy setup all around with a great rifle and quality glass with room to spare in your budget.

Just get the HCR. It's a howa1500 that already comes in a chassis so no need to "upgrade" it's tupperware stock as you would with other options. This thing is capable of 1000+ yards. I own one and it's an amazing rifle. It's also in your budget already.

X1000 on this

Most people who put them down really have never even seen, let alone, shoot one. I would not part with the two Howa precision rifles I have and I have had Sakos and customs before.

Reactions: stello1001
Tikka CTR SS 6.5 CM
Vortex strike eagle
Add from there maybe change out the stock for a KRG Bravo or a chassis, lots to build on

Remington 700 5r gen 2 in 6.5 cm or a tikka ctr. The Remington can be converted for aics magazines for about $70 with the magpul dbm and a few minutes with a Dremel. The hs precision stock that comes on it has an aluminum bedding block and is solid unlike a lot of factory furniture. I think it is one of the most unappreciated sub 1k rifles out there.

X1000 on this

Most people who put them down really have never even seen, let alone, shoot one. I would not part with the two Howa precision rifles I have and I have had Sakos and customs before.

I built my wife a Howa mini action and my 2 complaints are that it isn't as smooth as a CZ 527 and the bottom metal/magazine feel cheap. Chassis rifle fixes one of those and the other isn't really a problem. It groups great, runs flawlessly, and my wife loves it. What more can I really ask?

I built my wife a Howa mini action and my 2 complaints are that it isn't as smooth as a CZ 527 and the bottom metal/magazine feel cheap. Chassis rifle fixes one of those and the other isn't really a problem. It groups great, runs flawlessly, and my wife loves it. What more can I really ask?

Interesting observation. I've never had a 527 but I've had a CZ 550 and it was the worst rifle I've ever had for bolt binding during fwd/back travel.

The three Howas I've had have been average or above average in bolt operation when new and only got better (some much better) with use.

Of the ones you listed locally, I'd go with the Bergara HMR 308.

Otherwise, I think you could pick up a new Tikka 6.5CM and add last gen Vortex Optics and stay under your 2K budget.

I will say that I recently picked up a Rem 700 ADL Varmint locally that was used and it's action is amazingly smooth.

Get a Tikka...they have the smoothest action and are by far the most accurate out of the box. Throw a Strike Eagle 5-25 with some PMR rings on there and you’re gtg. That should be right in there on your budget...maybe a touch more.

Hey all thanks for the replies. I’ve expanded my search to include the howa HCR and tikka CTR. Based on what I’ve seen on gunbroker the T3x TAC A1 is a little out of the budget, and probably more capable than I am at this point. If the Bergara that’s local to me was a 6.5 I would have picked it up by now.

as many have said I plan on looking at vortex for glass, any other companies I should eye up? If I need to save a few more bucks for solid glass then that’s what I’ll do. My grandpa always told me to spend 2x the rifle cost for optics but I don’t feel like dropping 2k on some glass!

I have the Tikka Super Varmint in 6.5 Creedmoor.
A bit cheaper than the CTR, but shoots very well.
Got a Vortex Razor on it, absolutely no complaints.
Really like the rock solid performance of the Vortex.
Your grandpa is correct. Good glass is a major factor in the accuracy equation.
I've recently fitted another Gen ll Razor to my AI .338 Lapua, and it is excellent.
Whatever your decision and purchase, enjoy driving those pills downrange.👍

You should dig through the PX on here for a used scope if you're looking to save money, also consider an Athlon scope or maybe even a leupold VX3i LRP with a FFP TMR reticle.

Since you're starting to consider the HCR, here's a thread you can look at with a bunch of howa 1500 rifles.

You may find it of interest. Also, to add to my post above, the HCR has a chassis which I really enjoy. The front part of the magwell works awesome as a barricade stop. The flat area in front of the magwell can take a bag really well and balances great. The LuthAR stock has a lot of customization which allows you to really personalize the fit of the rifle to you. I think you'll really like it. And at the price point from the link above, it can't get any better. I'll be surprised if their stock lasts at that price.

20200821_123044.jpg

They'll all shoot, I have a couple savages, a bergara HMR and four tikka's. I like Tikka the best, bergara second, savage last, the savage is just as accurate if not moreso, just not as smooth and polished. I never could get comfortable with the Ruger but they are a great starting point and you don't need to change anyghing. I'd suggest getting the 6.5, less recoil and less elevation needed to get to 1K as well and far more choices for accurate ammo, especially when shooting at distance. And when prices and availability get back to normal it's easier to find than .308 match ammo.

Since you're starting to consider the HCR, here's a thread you can look at with a bunch of howa 1500 rifles.

You may find it of interest. Also, to add to my post above, the HCR has a chassis which I really enjoy. The front part of the magwell works awesome as a barricade stop. The flat area in front of the magwell can take a bag really well and balances great. The LuthAR stock has a lot of customization which allows you to really personalize the fit of the rifle to you. I think you'll really like it. And at the price point from the link above, it can't get any better. I'll be surprised if their stock lasts at that price.

View attachment 7533602
Interesting, I’ll have to read through and check out some pictures. For some reason when I think of a howa I just think hunting rifles... I completely skipped over them as a manufacturer.

Reactions: stello1001
You should dig through the PX on here for a used scope if you're looking to save money, also consider an Athlon scope or maybe even a leupold VX3i LRP with a FFP TMR reticle.
I’ll have to do a solid amount of homework before purchasing any optic. I had a Nikon 4-12 (I think) on my savage. My shooting fundamentals are there, where I lack knowledge and skill is the optics and adjustments for windage and what not. I’ve only been out 200-250 yards with my .270 and that was maybe 10-20 rounds just to see if I could hit steel. After I left the range that day (3 years ago) I’ve thought about shooting longer distance atleast once a week since then...

They'll all shoot, I have a couple savages, a bergara HMR and four tikka's. I like Tikka the best, bergara second, savage last, the savage is just as accurate if not moreso, just not as smooth and polished. I never could get comfortable with the Ruger but they are a great starting point and you don't need to change anyghing. I'd suggest getting the 6.5, less recoil and less elevation needed to get to 1K as well and far more choices for accurate ammo, especially when shooting at distance. And when prices and availability get back to normal it's easier to find than .308 match ammo.
Leaning more towards the tikka ctr based on the quick research I’ve done in the last hour or two... seems to have everything I want, good action, accurate, solid trigger, decent price and decent aftermarket support.

Leaning more towards the tikka ctr based on the quick research I’ve done in the last hour or two... seems to have everything I want, good action, accurate, solid trigger, decent price and decent aftermarket support.

It's a good choice, aftermarket is getting better all the time and the actions are built to high enough tolerances that you can buy shouldered prefit barrels for them. Triggers are nice too, stock down to a crisp 2 lbs, change the spring and you get get it to 1 lb or a bit lower. The best thing you can do is shoot a lot and work on fundamentals.

I’ll have to do a solid amount of homework before purchasing any optic. I had a Nikon 4-12 (I think) on my savage. My shooting fundamentals are there, where I lack knowledge and skill is the optics and adjustments for windage and what not. I’ve only been out 200-250 yards with my .270 and that was maybe 10-20 rounds just to see if I could hit steel. After I left the range that day (3 years ago) I’ve thought about shooting longer distance atleast once a week since then...

The only way to learn how to shoot in the wind is to shoot in the wind.

You're going to want a first focal plane scope with a reticle that has hash marks for elevation and windage. Don't get too caught up in the "this reticle is slightly better than that reticle because xyz" game, you just need one that works because you will want to upgrade after a while anyway. Make sure that you get something that has a good reputation for tracking. Vortex, Athlon, Leupold, Nightforce, or quite a few others. There are models from all of them that could be had used for your budget or close to it. You don't need a 50x magnification scope either, I have a Leupold VX3i LRP 4.5-14x50 FFP TMR and regularly shoot out to 600 with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: NewsShooter
Out of your listed options I would purchase the Bergara HMR and then after a few years I’d shooting them .308 if you still want to, you can rebarrel in 6.5 or 6mm creedmoor if you want factory ammo options.

So does the tikka t3x lite have the same action as a ctr? I've been thinking if I can find a cheap enough rifle to use as a parts gun maybe I bite the bullet and just build a budget friendly option?

also found another local RPR in 6.5 creed for $950 bucks