• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

first 10-22 build ?

1911vm

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2009
Help me spend some money. this will be my first 10- 22 build . I have 500 dollars that I can dedicate to this project . I have older basic 10-22 and and optics . what would be the best use of the money ?

Re: first 10-22 build ?

A replacement target barrel, and a stock with a barrel channel sized to match the new barrel. Butler Creek was my goto ensemble, but you may not be able to get them anymore. They will pretty much all shoot considerably better than the factory sporter weight barrel, I sometimes doubt the wisdom of getting spendy in this area.

Trigger work is a matter of taste. Spending money here is an alternative to learning how to work with what you've got. I've done both and consider it a wash.

I have an $80 Tasco 6-24x42 MilDot Varmint Target scope (search variable/model number - VAR624X42M), Tasco rings and the Ruger factory base on mine. You can spend more money, but this setup will bring out the best in your rifle, spending more is not going to improve on that enough to justify big buckage increases.

I'd load up on spare factory Ruger rotary magazines. I have ten.

Put the rest into better ammo, I recommend CCI Standard Veocity Target .22LR.

This is way good enough to get your 10/22 rifle shooting up in the 90 percentile. You can go on from here, but the law of diminishing returns will close in on you fast.

Greg

Don't know your tastes,but, If it were me I'd get a Kidd barrel, bolt, a B&C anschutz stock and a Power custom trigger kit....If you are happy with the setup that you have, I would send the barreled action to Randy at CPC for a complete redo. All deficiancies of the 10/22 are addressed by CPC for about 200$

Heard of CPC. Having problems that I believe stems from the bolt. Has anyone had their bolt reworked by them? If so, what was the result?

trigger work is a wash??????? wtf over!

everyone knows a shitty trigger doesnt affect accuracy...........yah just the other day i heard an interview with the amu they were saying "i prefer a 30 pound trigger to a nice crisp 2 pounder............get the hell outta here and i thought ive heard it all

I have a Kidd trigger group in one of mine, and after my wife shot it, I ended up putting a Kidd trigger group in my wife's gun as well. Although she loves it, she has no idea what it cost. To build a gun on a $500 budget, you better forget anything that says Lilja, Kidd, STI, Force, Clark, as well as many others on it.

Bang for you buck, I'd say #1 trigger, #2 get a good barrel, #3 a CPC bolt, #4 bed your action, and #5 get a stock that fits you in as many positions as you intend to shoot.

Do you own trigger job! You will find a lot of advice over on Rimfirecentral Forum. Take your time and go SLOW. Either that or send it to http://www.brimstonegunsmithing.com/ I've had him do a trigger for my and I have to tell you, (and it pains me to admit it)...his is every bit as crisp (at just under 2lbs), as either Kidd I own currently, and WAY more in line with your budget. His level 3 or however he words it, costs about $35. I'm telling you, it will be the best mod you can do.

Good luck and keep us posted. Once you do one 10/22 build, you will do more! It's a lot of fun.

I have had 3 bolts reworked by CPC including one used in a .17 MACH2 conversion and they have all worked very well for me. If the bolt is to be used in a MACH2 conversion he needs to know this upfront as the work he does on a conversion bolt is a bit different from a .22lr and he increases the weight of the bolt by drilling out a hole and filling that hole with a tungsten rod so the bolt can handle the additional blow-back pressure. Using his worked-over bolt, a kidd barrel, glass bedding into a aftermarket stock made some real accurate shooters for me. Kidd triggers are very nice but very expensive, a Volquartsen trigger kit is not as nice as a kidd but worked fine for me.