• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First 10/22 build

billmeek

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2019
Middle TN
My first foray into the realm of 10/22s (after a 30+ year hiatus from shooting, but recently buying a few inexpensive 22LR rifles) was to purchase a T/CR22. While it’s a decent rifle, the accuracy just wasn’t what I wanted. One of the local NRL22 “young guns” won a Victor Titan stock, but already had one on his rifle. So I made an offer and bought it. This let me order a Feddersen bull barrel for the T/CR22. And down the rabbit hole I fell….

While researching the barrel, I found out that Feddersen might have stainless barrels that are not on their website. So I called to order a 16.25 inch stainless bull barrel with all the options: threaded, fluted, and polished. While they had the stainless 16.25 barrel, that’s all they had was just the plain bead blasted with no options and it would likely be long time before they changed the production line to do any mods to the barrel. I took what was offered.

Installed the barrel and T/CR22 action into the Victor Titan and shot one of my best groups ever. But I immediately decided that something had to be done about the crappy trigger. The T/CR22 has last round hold-open that is based on having the factory trigger, receiver, and mags. While I was considering having Brimstone work their magic on the T/CR22 trigger in order to keep the last round hold-open, it dawned on me that I’d also have to spend a lot more on the T/CR22 factory mags to keep that feature. For just a bit more than $100, I could get the Kidd 2-stage trigger and 6 Ruger BX-1 mags for the cost of the Brimstone job and 5 T/CR22 factory mags to go with the one that came with the rifle. So $300ish and I had a Kidd 2-stage trigger set to 8oz/8oz on the way and then ordered some BX-1 mags. A few days later and the trigger was installed. I’ve tried a Brimstone trigger before on someone else’s rifle, but it doesn’t compare to the Kidd trigger.

Meanwhile, Sandra at Feddersen’s calls me and said that they were running out of threaded barrels on the regular blued version and that she had them thread a few stainless and high-polish one just for me… if I was still interested. Needless to say, I ordered it over the phone immediately.

Of course now that I have this wonderful rifle, I want it setup with a few little options. I ordered the Victor mini front rail, an Atlas bipod clone that was immediately replaced with a new Magpul bipod once I figured out the clone was trash. And got thinking… If I replace the receiver with a Kidd classic, I can get one of the Victor rear tangs and then put the T/CR22 back together with the spare barrel. So around $400 and I had the Kidd receiver, bolt, springs, charging handle (plus a black/flat spare trigger) on the way along with a Victor rear tang for another $50.

While out shooting this wonderful new rifle at the range, I’m firing at a new spinner being tested. To really get it moving takes several shots of 22. I think, “Wouldn’t this be a lot more fun with 25 round mags?” Two BX-25 mags were ordered that night.

Although I had an Acme Machine 6-24x50mm First Focal Plane MIL scope (pulled from another 22 rifle) mounted, any nice rifle needs new glass. So I ordered an Athlon Midas TAC 6-24×50 APRS3 (Xmas tree reticle) scope and a set of Burris XTR 30mm Signature 1-inch height rings to see if that would allow me to bottom out the scope for long range. Of course it didn’t. Foolish me… I should have followed my gut and ordered the 20 MOA rail from Kidd when ordering the action. An online order fixed that. And I needed a higher cheek weld. Ordered the Victor Titan riser.

At this point the only thing that was lacking is a good sling. I tried out the Short Action Precision positional sling one of the NRL22 locals has and then bought one. That “should” be all I need. Or more precisely put, that’s all that I can think of to buy for this rifle... at this time.

I ought to mention that I’m not that good of shooter. I enjoy the hell out of it, but I’m just not that steady. About the only stages I do decent on are the prone NRL22. I do have fun stretching out to longer ranges. That’s why I wanted to bottom out the scope.

So now I’m evaluating ammo to see what this beastie likes to be fed. I’m contemplating shipping it off to Eley and/or Lapua for lot testing. That might be less expensive in the long run rather than me buying lots of ammo to test (i.e. Eley Tenex, Eley Match, Lapua Center-X, Lapua Midas+, Lapua Polar Biathlon, Federal Gold Match, Federal Ultra Match, RWS R50, SK Biathlon, SK Rifle Match, etc.)

Oh yeah, remember that earlier I mentioned being able to put the T/CR22 back together? I ordered a relatively inexpensive (around $100) Archangel AAP1022 Precision Rifle Stock to allow me to use the second Feddersen barrel with it and am now in the vicious cycle of Brimstone the factory trigger or buy another Kidd trigger. <sigh>

My advice? Stay away from modifying 10/22 rifles unless you want to hear the anguished cries of your credit card/bank balance.

A few obligatory photos:

1022build1.JPG

1022build2.JPG

1022build3.JPG

1022build4.JPG

1022build5.JPG

Last edited:
Yep, your time and money ahead ordering a Clark’s Custom or Kidd from the start. Cool build, good luck with your shooting.

Having seen that rifle in person..she's a beauty! You did put me on the path to looking into the Feddersen barrels when I replace the one on Deb's 10/22. It's amazing how much I fight off the rabbit hole you have fallen in. I'm afraid I'll never get out.

Paul,

I'm not done with this 10/22. Yesterday I got out the shovel to start digging the hole (in my bank balance) a bit deeper. We'll see where that leads.

By the way, I also (finally) got the Hawkeye boroscope in-hand if you still need to take a look at the B22 chamber for the extraction issues. I should have it with me at the next NRL22 match.

What's the latest addition to the t/cr build now? You pretty much have that thing blinged out (or are you going to tell me you sold it and bought a Vudoo anyways? LOL And Yes..definitely want to look at the chamber in my b22. I'd love to move to using the CenterX , since it shoots so much tighter, but I need it to be 100p% reliable ejecting during the match. No better way to 0 a round then to have an FTE on the first shot and be left there trying to dig out the case in 2 minutes.

There's not a single T/CR22 part left in the rifle. And the only Ruger parts are the magazines.

Nope. I haven't ordered a Vudoo (yet). I do however have a Proof Research 16.1 inch carbon fiber barrel coming that should be here in mid-April.

WHAT? A new proof barrel coming now too? You DEFINITELY have developed an addiction (or at least an expensive habit :) ) And still you'll bust out that trusty A22 and shoot base class won't ya? If I can get Brent and you to go Open class each month with all your fancy toys maybe i'll have a shot at winning a month by default :(

What I aught to be using is the B22 that was purchased for base class in the first place. It has a good Athlon Helos on it and is plenty accurate for my poor shooting skills.

Reactions: tinydane
10/22’s are addicting to say the least. Thanks for sharing and that’s a sweet set up.

I don't think a single shooter out there can't identify with what you just went through. At some point looking at the bloated visa and pile of "looked like a good idea" parts you ask yourself, why didn't I just order the Kidd supergrade from the start put a scope on it and go. Most of us shooters have that need to tinker and modify, sometimes to the point that is consumes more effort than shooting, but at the end of the day we're having fun.

Reactions: Rude374 and D_TROS
Thanks for the compliment on the rifle Rebels010.

accurate obsession, I was considering the Kidd Supergrade at one point. It would have been less expensive in the long run. Had I known in advance what I was going to spend, I probably could have picked up a basic Vudoo for about the same money. But that's another whole world of higher upgrade possibilities that I'm attempting to stay away from for now. Now once I get to lay my grubby hands on an actual Vudoo rifle, who knows what'll happen?

The last work that needed to be done, until the new barrel arrives, was mounting the Kidd 20 MOA rail and getting the scope bottomed out so I can use as much elevation as possible in the scope for longer range shooting. I got that completed yesterday. I'll eventually want to try this rifle out to 500 yards just to see it's capabilities. Now I get to start testing a few mid-range ammos (mostly different types of SK and, 2 lots of CenterX, Wolf Match Extra, etc.) to get a general idea of the preferred feeding of the beast.

The barreled action of the T/CR22 was shoved, or to be more accurate, hammered into the Archangel Precision Rifle Stock. To say it's tight fitting is a vast understatement. I have the same issue removing the BX-1mags that many owners have reported using that stock. While it shoots very well and I like the adjustability of the stock, I hate the fitment and may well just replace it in the long term with another tricked-out Victor Titan once the Titan Spike becomes available.

Yeah I thought it was funny on the packaging where they said it might be a tight fit and having to hammer the plug they had inside of it out before even attempting putting the action in.

Also another lesson I learned is to keep the plug in case you want to take the action out. It’s next level to get the next action in after it sits empty for a while.

Also another lesson I learned is to keep the plug in case you want to take the action out. It’s next level to get the next action in after it sits empty for a while.

Thanks for the warning. But it's a bit late as the packaging and plug are already trashed.

The latest to peak my interest is the new MDT ACC chassis built for the cz455 trainer. Sounds and looks like a nice accurate tool :)

My advice? Stay away from modifying 10/22 rifles unless you want to hear the anguished cries of your credit card/bank balance.

I’ve got less than $1,000 in a 10/22 (Kidd barrel & trigger) that is astonishingly accurate with moderately priced ammo. Remind your wallet that one could spend double that on a Vudoo and get the exact same results.

My best 10-22 is a dealer exclusive model through Accusport, the LVT. It is basically stock-with mods. Kidd 2-stage trigger plus springs and charging handle. TS 20 moa rail. The rest is just mods to the stock rifle. Pillar and bedding, shortened barrel to 20" and threaded, added cleaning hole to rear of receiver and tuned bolt assembly per some instructions on Rimfire

beauty of a rifle. please post some groups up.

and shoot this target at 50 yards. 1 shot per bull. 25 rnds

DT

Attachments

• IR5050 target image.png
    IR5050 target image.png
    512.9 KB · Views: 189