• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First 1000+ yard shots (and hits)

dstewart51

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2011
Lake Hughes, CA
I picked up a 1/2" 3'x3' steel plate (all 190lbs of it) and made a stand stand with for it with $25 at Lowes. Went out to the 395 about 5 miles north of Boron, east on Fremont road about 5 miles. The wind was crazy 25 steady with 35 mph gusts, it was enough to shake the truck. We where able to put the wind mostly behind us. Since the wind was so bad we picked a spot 944 yards out to start. Entered the data in to Shooter and set the dope to 6.8mils up and 1.2mils right. First shot I missed, second shot hit low and left, added .1 mil up and .1 mil right to the scope and made hits near the center on the next 4 shots. After 5 hits in a row we decided to move back to another clearing that put us out to 1220 yards. First shot was a miss ,forgot to adjust the scope, Doh! Shooter called for 10.6mil up and .8 mil right. After setting the dope I made a hit near the center, next shot was center right. It was 47 deg, blowing like crazy and it was going to be dark soon so we called it a day.

I was amazed at how much energy the 300gr Scenar hit the plate with. I didn't expect the damage to the top of the frame above the steel from the shrapnel. Nor did I expect the trench under the steel! Very impressive.

Loads,
300gr Scenar
89gr N570
Fed 215M
3.698OAL (puts me at .015 off the lands)
2700fps

Youtube video link,
http://youtu.be/4IlbpuFbufk

Photo taken at max zoom of the camera, I think 3x.
IMG_2244.jpg

IMG_2249.jpg

IMG_2247.jpg

IMG_2245.jpg

Looking back to the shooting position.
IMG_2254.jpg

Re: First 1000+ yard shots (and hits)

Better wear gloves and watch the shrapnel on those boards. The copper gets razor sharp and will slice you deep. Good shooting also what were you shooting. I am guessing a big 338, Edge maybe.

Got the glove in my hands. Yep, I was surprised to see the copper shrapnel in the wood!

Factory Savage 110FCP 338 Lapua.

NIce start, but sheeze 3' x 3' we are hitting a 20"X20" target at a mile with the BA 110. Keep it up and good shooting.

Diego

Yea, I didn't know quite how big and heavy it would be but 3x3 sounded like a nice number. I can get it on and off the stand my self by walking up and down the chain. It rolls like a nice square wheel to and from the truck.

In a couple of weeks Ill take it back out and if the wind is a bit more calm run it out to 1500+ with a goal of 1760. It was just too windy and too late to continue last time out.

If nothing else, at least the big plate cuts down trying to sight misses. I also picked up a 12x12 1/2" plate to for shorter range sighting in. The small plate was $15 so no big deal if I bang it up and need to replace it. You could really see the difference in the impact craters from 945y to those from 1220y. I'm sure at 100 or 200 yards the plate is going to take a beating and I would rather use a cheep small plate than the big one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diego-ted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NIce start, but sheeze 3' x 3' we are hitting a 20"X20" target at a mile with the BA 110. Keep it up and good shooting.

Diego </div></div>

Well its half the size of a Fclass target and a factory rifle... gotta look at the glass half full. lol

Hello,
I just bought the same rifle and hope to be shooting at 1000yds with it soon. I have a couple of questions if you will.(Please anyone feel free to answer)

Did you add the adjustable cheek riser? Mine did not come with one but I will be adding a Karstens.

Your bolt handle (the rifle in the truck) looks different than mine. Did you do something different than stock?

I was going to put a Harris bipod on mine because I already have one. Is the Atlas worth the extra money? If so, how?

What is a sling rail?

Thanks,
also just a few observations if I may.
Stick with as big a plate as you can manage for the reason you stated. Where I live the grass is two feet tall by June and one simply cannot see misses past 600yds.

When you put a smaller target on the plate, you might actually see your group shrink as the aiming point is smaller. Use paint and don't use adhesive backed targets to simply stick to the face of the steel. That shrapnel you noticed will blow the sticker right off the steel with the first hit.

That ballistics program you were using seems pretty close. If you consistently get solutions from it that are just a touch short, couldn't you simply lower the ballistic coefficient input to the program to match your real world data? This way your whole system there would agree.

Good shooting and thanks for posting!
JoeZ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello,
I just bought the same rifle and hope to be shooting at 1000yds with it soon. I have a couple of questions if you will.(Please anyone feel free to answer)

Did you add the adjustable cheek riser? Mine did not come with one but I will be adding a Karstens.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Yes, I added the cheek rest. The 110FCP does not come with the cheek rest, but it should. </span>

Your bolt handle (the rifle in the truck) looks different than mine. Did you do something different than stock?

<span style="color: #FF0000">Its the bolt handle off a 110BA, bolts right on. </span>

I was going to put a Harris bipod on mine because I already have one. Is the Atlas worth the extra money? If so, how?

<span style="color: #FF0000">Its a personal choice. Mine is not a comp gun so the extra speed from the Harris is not important. I rather have the nice machined stainless and aluminum parts and for the aesthetics. </span>

What is a sling rail?

<span style="color: #FF0000">A sling rail is the Seekins Precision picatinny rail that includes a boss for a sling swivel.</span>
Thanks,
also just a few observations if I may.
Stick with as big a plate as you can manage for the reason you stated. Where I live the grass is two feet tall by June and one simply cannot see misses past 600yds.

When you put a smaller target on the plate, you might actually see your group shrink as the aiming point is smaller. Use paint and don't use adhesive backed targets to simply stick to the face of the steel. That shrapnel you noticed will blow the sticker right off the steel with the first hit.

That ballistics program you were using seems pretty close. If you consistently get solutions from it that are just a touch short, couldn't you simply lower the ballistic coefficient input to the program to match your real world data? This way your whole system there would agree.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Yes you can. But so far Ive found "Shooter" and the data I've entered to be spot on with out any fudging.</span>

Good shooting and thanks for posting!
JoeZ</div></div>

Thank you JoeZ

That's pretty neat; thanks for posting up! What kind of steel did you get? Is it plain carbon steel or is it something hard like AR500? Do the bullet impacts even hurt it?

Tell you the truth, I'm not exactly sure. I think it may be A36 low carbon mild steel. I'll call the shop where I bought it from Tuesday and find out.

At 944 yards I show 1750 fps and 2042 ft-lbs of energy. They left slight dimples on the surface that you can feel with your finger but no visible damage to the other side. The two 1220 yards did about half of that damage. So, as long as I don't try to hit it with any thing more powerful (like 50BMG) or close in it will last a very long time.

Here is another photo that shows how little damage there was to the plate,
IMG_2250.jpg

The lighter center was some lead deposit. The two darker center impacts where made from 1220y.

Good shooting I cant wait to get out to 1000 yards. Im just geting into longrange and definately have capable rifles just need the practice and skill now.