• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First 100yd Rimfire Match

downhill

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2010
Texas
We tried our first Rimfire match follwing a 30rd Garand Match at the Abilene Gun Club last weekend. To accomadate all the shooters I decided to run all slow fire- standing,sitting and prone. The targets used were the NRA highpower 300 reduced for 100yds(6"aiming black-x to 8 rings). We ran two classes scoped and irons. Rifles included were Kimber82's,Win 52D's,Rem514 to Ruger10/22's. We fired 5 sighters with 10rds for record at each stage. Most of our shooters are Service Rifle Competitors with 3 having taken various state championships,a distinguished rifleman badge and a couple Presidents 100 badges from Camp Perry. After the match I asked for any suggestions or comments and the general reply was "shooting .22's at 100yds is friggin hard!" I don't think the masters and highmasters cared for scoring in the 92% range. A 5 to 10mph wind was tough on 22's! Looks like we'll add it to our regular schedule. You really have to focus on the fundamentals with the little gun.

Re: First 100yd Rimfire Match

Yeah, a lot of guys talk about shooting .22 at 100 likes it's nothing. All I can say is that it must not be windy where they are. Where I am, shooting MOA with a .22 takes real skill where the wind gusts up to 15 or 20 mph regularly.

I shot a local championship rimfire benchrest match at 50 yards yesterday. The wind was KICKING. On a couple of shots, I actually had to dope 2" to account for the wind.

Keep the sport alive man.