• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First 17 HMR

angels-zero

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2011
Been watching this forum for a couple of months now and have been wanting to try the .17 HMR for about 6 yrs. Finally put a Savage Cabela's green tactical on layaway about a month ago after seeing it posted somewhere here. Money is a bit tight these days and I plunked down about $380 so far for the layaway on the $499 price tag (+tax and bacground check it was $565). Walked into a local gunshop today and here is a slightly used 93R17 TR for $299. I went to Cabela's and cancelled the layaway ($25 fee) and went back and bought this so I figure I saved about $176. Had a SightMark 3-9x40 and a Harris bipod in the bin so slapped those on there and can't wait to go try her out. Snowing right now so I'll have to wait.
Savage93RTR.jpg
Think I did OK for starters. Need to get some lower rings but these will do for now. This forum has been very informative and helped me out tremendously.

Re: First 17 HMR

Sell it and buy a 22 Mag. HMR's get deflected by fly farts 100 miles away and dont kill quick UNLESS the hit is perfect . Of all the serious shooters I run with have sold off the Homely Mommy Round .

Already have the 22 WMR and my old trusty 10/22 LR, just wanted to try the .17 out for myself to see what all the fuss was about. I am pretty sure I can re-sell this without losing too much if I don't like it. Had to try it...we'll see if it's a keeper or not. I have a passion for firearmsand have myriad of calibers and types in my colletion from handguns to rifles to shotguns. The .17 was just on my list and we will see how it fits in with the awesome list of choices we have nowadays. This is definately the time to be alive when considering the level of technology afforded to us compared to just 20 years ago... the .17 hmr just seems to be something that needs to be tried. So I am.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: angelszero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Snowing right now so I'll have to wait.</div></div>That's the best time to go. The range isn't usually too busy. Nice rifle, hope it shoots for ya.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sell it and buy a 22 Mag. HMR's get deflected by fly farts 100 miles away and dont kill quick UNLESS the hit is perfect . Of all the serious shooters I run with have sold off the Homely Mommy Round .</div></div>

Hmmmm....

17 at 100 yards
05311017HMR.jpg

17 at 200 yards
11131017HMR200yds.jpg

That was kind of a jackass thing to say to someone who just plunked down money on a good rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sell it and buy a 22 Mag. HMR's get deflected by fly farts 100 miles away and dont kill quick UNLESS the hit is perfect . Of all the serious shooters I run with have sold off the Homely Mommy Round .</div></div>That was kind of a jackass thing to say to someone who just plunked down money on a good rifle. </div></div>With his exaggeration I thought he was joking. Never can tell across the internet though...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
KIDGLOCK said:
That was kind of a jackass thing to say to someone who just plunked down money on a good rifle. </div></div>

Good on you for posting solid groups, there telling people that they didn't make a good buy is fine, regarding of how "good" their money is. It might help them avoid problems in the future, and possibly get out of a lemon of a deal if they haven't actually committed.

But since it was facetious, moot point anyway.

Good find.

Its a light round so be mindful of the wind. If your punching paper then you can wait. If your hunting with it then maybe step up to the 20gr Full metal jacket rounds.

I hunt with the 17gr Vmaxs and a well placed shot drops anything under 20-25 pounds.

Anything under 1-2 pounds like the sage rats in my area get turned inside out.

Mine

l_5edb75c4d6f6414a9da9e5e999caee95.jpg

Check out the link in my sig. It shows all of my best targets with my 17 all the way out to 300. I can promise you that you'll have a lot of fun with that rifle!

The 17hmr is just plain fun to shoot. It has killed coyotes to 150 yrds. It is the most accurate rimfire I own. It has consistantly hit 12 by 12 steel at 300. I own 4 of them, a savage, CZ 452,and 2 chipmunks for my two older daughters. Im looking to buy another for my youngest. I guess that says what I think about them!
Rthur

I've now have 5 rimfires 2 Marlin 22lrs and a Savage 22lr, 22wmr and 17 hmr. Out of the box the only one capable of sub moa groups at 100 yds was the 17hmr. I have the GV model and the only thing i did to it was float the stock a little more and polish the bolt with some 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper. Its 100% the most consistently accurate rimfire round ive shot. Some would argue that their 22 lr is more accurate but they probably have a top dollar custom bench gun. I wouldnt worry to much about the wind, yes it does blow it around a bit but no rimfire cartridge is any good at bucking the wind. I'm deffinatley impressed with my gun, a 300$ rifle that is sub moa capable at 100yds and greater, right out of the box is just down right awesome to me. Looks like you saved a bit too, buying one used is probably no different than buying one new considering youd have to shoot the thing every day for multiple years to ever have a chance at shooting out the barrel. The only person i know that shot out a barrel said he had 25k rounds through it befor the groups went south. He said it was still a 3-4 moa gun even then, just not good enough for his standards. I think you'll like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: anthony1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some would argue that their 22 lr is more accurate but they probably have a top dollar custom bench gun.</div></div>

I've said it before. At 50 yards, my 22LR knocks my 17HMR around... but it cost me $1,500 and I got a smokin' deal. And that is shooting $13 a box Eley Match (the 17HMR you can find for $10 - $12 if you look). At 100 yards, the 17 will match or surpass my high dollar 22LR with high dollar ammo, and at 200 yards, it is no contest, the 17HMR wins. And this is all with a $350 gun.

So yes, in my mind, the 17 is a great way to get good accuracy on a budget. There are those that gripe about ammo costs and that is true if you compare it to $.05 a round bulk pack stuff. But a 22LR shooting bulk pack ammo just doesn't even compare to a 17HMR. Period.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sell it and buy a 22 Mag. HMR's get deflected by fly farts 100 miles away and dont kill quick UNLESS the hit is perfect . Of all the serious shooters I run with have sold off the Homely Mommy Round . </div></div>

LOL no worries man