• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First .223 bolt

Beezer911

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2020
Midwest
Hello everyone,
I’m looking to get a .223 bolt gun to give myself a little more economical alternative to my 6.5 CM Howa Bravo Both in ammo and barrel life.

I’m having trouble determining what to get. Glass-wise I’ll put either an Athlon Cronus or Ares ETR on it. They’re no Kahles, but perfectly fine for a .223.

So - what gun to get. I’ve looked at Tikka, Howa, Savage and Bergara. I nixed the Bergara due to not being able to get a pre-fit for it. The Tikka seems out too as I can’t seem to find one with a threaded heavy barrel, just lightweight ones (3 years ago I couldn’t swing a dead cat in a gun store without hitting a CTR or four - those were the days). I figure I’d want a CTR or a Super Varmint. Can’t seem to find either.

The Howa Oryx is a pretty nice package for the money, but I’ve heard the mini action is kind of a pain in the ass the SA. My 6.5cm Howa Bravo is an absolute tack driver, which is what’s making me consider this.

Last is the Savage which I’d either get a 110 Varmint and shoot it in the acustock until it annoyed me enough to put it in something else (I do like the Bravo) or pony up for the 110 Elite precision. I like the price of the Axis Precision, and a few guys have them at the range and they shoot, but I don‘t think I want to live with that action long term.

So Hide - what’s your take? I’d like to stay at 1500 or less for the gun (optics’s already taken care of), and the Savage 110 Elite would stretch that a bit. The Howa Oryx would leave almost 500 on the table for other toys. The Tikka would probably put me right around 1500 (with a Bravo) if I could find the specific model I want.

Are there options I’m missing? I know a custom action would be better, but from what I’ve seen a good set-up will put me just under $2K for just the action, trigger, bolt and barrel. A little more than I’d like to shell out right now. Unless there’s a cheaper build option, I’m thinking it’s probably off the table for this gun (it will happen in the future though).

Thanks for any thoughts or advice you can offer!!!

Here is a Tikka Varmint https://www.gunbroker.com/item/944718491
I have the same rifle in an MDT XRS with NF ATACR 5-25 and really like it. I am a new shooter and it has been fun to learn on. I did my first PR class last month and was hitting the 500-600 yard targets easily on the 2nd day. I've read online that the Super Varmint is due some time this fall (for US) but not sure.

Reactions: Beezer911
Here is a Tikka Varmint https://www.gunbroker.com/item/944718491
I have the same rifle in an MDT XRS with NF ATACR 5-25 and really like it. I am a new shooter and it has been fun to learn on. I did my first PR class last month and was hitting the 500-600 yard targets easily on the 2nd day. I've read online that the Super Varmint is due some time this fall (for US) but not sure.
Thanks - I hadn’t seen that one. The Super is the one I really want - heavier barrel and threaded from the factory. Thx!

This guy makes some nice shooting barrels for less money... https://theurbanriflemanstore.com/
If you can find a Savage or Savage-threaded, or 700 action in the PX or elsewhere... Guess he spins them for Tikkas now too.

Buy an Origin, an inexpensive Trigger Tech, a used KRG Bravo and a barrel from UrbanRifleman.
You'll be way under $2K.

Another barrel option is the Criterion, or even a Proof profit from Front Range.
Any of those options should have you up and running for under $2k.

Buy an Origin, an inexpensive Trigger Tech, a used KRG Bravo and a barrel from UrbanRifleman.
You'll be way under $2K.

Another barrel option is the Criterion, or even a Proof profit from Front Range.
get off the interwebs and go shoot why don't ya!

have a great time out there looks like a great morning from my porch

get off the interwebs and go shoot why don't ya!
Well considering I typed that at 10:22PM I'm pretty sure folks around here much preferred that I was surfing the web instead of shooting in the dark! But "get out and shoot more" is the whole reason for getting this gun.

You'll be way under $2K.

This is the second nod I've seen to Urban Rifleman, but hadn't heard of him before. Have you gotten a pre-fit from him? Good accuracy? I'll have to do some searching and read up on his barrels. Thanks!

This is the second nod I've seen to Urban Rifleman, but hadn't heard of him before. Have you gotten a pre-fit from him? Good accuracy? I'll have to do some searching and read up on his barrels. Thanks!

Take a look at his testimonials page, huge selection of targets his barrels produced - there is also a big thread on accurateshooter on his barrels / people requesting new reamers, etc. I currently have a one hole 223 barrel from Shilen, but wouldn't hesitate to buy one from him.

You'll be way under $2K.

This is the route I would go. After owning a half dozen factory rifles in 223, going the custom action route with a quality barrel was one of the best decisions I have made.

My kid has a trued 700 with a Brux barrel.

It shoots lights out.

Seems a lot of folks think their 700’s are gold right now, so not as easy to find a bargain.
Can shop here for a bit and maybe find one.

If not that, go with Mike Casselton’s Idea.

Thats my main bolt .223 now for me now.

@CMH had a Tikka listed in the PX and Im not sure if it sold?

I know precision ultimatum was doing a defacto barreled action for 999 and it came with a tt special.. I think they are in stock now..

That is a CZ 527 Laminate Varmint. It comes as 1:9 twist so you can use near 75gr target bullets but preferably 70gr maximum like the Berger 70gr VLD. It is in between a heavy varmint barrel like the Tikka/Sako and their Lite Hunter contour barrel. It has a stock that is semi flat in the forend and rides bags very well. It comes standard with a single set trigger so you have the choice of a light trigger for target or a hunting version. It is reasonably priced, a guess at around $1,300 but I have not looked for recent prices but that makes it cheaper than a Tikka Varmint with a Single Set Trigger and a lot cheaper than a Sako.

Making a savage 110 magazine fed is not cheap! I have a 110t in a factory stock which has an internal magazine. It shoot very well, but I can’t use it in matches. They use a spacer in the bolt to make up for the 223 ocl. I’d lean towards a 700 or howa, there are many more options to customize.

I'm super happy with my Rem 700 SPS Tactical in .223 Rem. I installed it in a Stocky's Accu Block LRT laminate stock and changed the trigger to a Triggertech Special, plus some bolt work and cerakote on the barreled action. It shoots pretty darn good for a factory rifle and my handloads.

Rem_700_SPS_Tac_223.jpg

Targets.jpg

Steve, those are some legit groups. We shoot a lot of 77’s over top H322 that has been great. What twist is your barrel ? That stock looks very cool. Did you bed it?

PB

Reactions: stevieb92
  • Wow
Reactions: spife7980
Steve, those are some legit groups. We shoot a lot of 77’s over top H322 that has been great. What twist is your barrel ? That stock looks very cool. Did you bed it?

PB
Thank! I've never tried anything heavier than 68 or 69 in it. At this point, I'm not going to bother. I'm not sure I could improve on how it's been shooting. The SPS Tac from Remington has a 1:9 twist, which is why I was sticking with the 60 something grain bullets. I tried the 69 grain tipped match king and it does similarly, however I've got a bunch of Hornady 68 bthp that I need to burn up before I formally switch over. The rifle is not bedded in the stock. I simply bolted it in, and went shooting. It kinda surprised me how well it shoots, being a factory Rem.